Brewer Fanatic

Carlos Ruiz to Phillies: 3 Years/$26 million

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9995925/philadelphia-phillies-re-sign-veteran-catcher-carlos-ruiz

Yuck. First Marlon Byrd, now this. So let me go partially around the horn here:

In 2014, with the ages they will be for a majority of the season:

C Ruiz (35)

1B Howard (34)

2B Utley (35)

SS Rollins (35)

RF Byrd (36)

I have no clue what Ruben Amaro is doing.

SHHHHH, let this continue to happen. next year they'll sign Ramirez for a 3 year, 25 mil deal

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

SHHHHH, let this continue to happen. next year they'll sign Ramirez for a 3 year, 25 mil deal

Better yet, maybe they will trade for him.

I think a Norichika Aoki and Aramis Ramirez for Domonic Brown deal looks fair.

someone get Melvin and Amaro on the phone STAT.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I posted earlier this summer about the flood of TV money coming to some teams but iirc the Phillies were expected to see their TV money jump by $70 million a year or so when their deal with Comcast was up in 2015. So they can basically expect to be able to raise their spending by nearly the equivalent of the Brewers entire payroll.

The stupidity in these deals isn't the money it's the fact that they are giving long term contracts to old players.

Yes, but having money allows you to send money along with the player when you are ready to unload him. And these owners have a lot of money burning a hole in their pockets.

I don't necessarily think this contract is nuts. Russel Martin is about to be paid 8.5mil next season right in line with Ruiz's deal.

I mean who would you rather have next season? Martin Maldonado or Carlos Ruiz? If you are trying to win...something Philly continues to believe they are capable of with their pitching and those Aging wonders.

Edit Adding: What if this was a Pitcher's preference call? Like the Wolf/Kattaras combo of 2012?

Guess who has 3years left on contract? Cliff Lee. And there's an option on Ruiz's contract(How about in case of an accepted QO backup plan?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived