Brewer Fanatic

Tiebreaker with Cubs

LUKE232323

From what I understand, the first tiebreaker for a division championship is head to head winning % correct? With the Cubs being 7-5 vs. the Brewers so far, we'd have to sweep to win the tiebreaker with them.

That Ramirez walk off win is looming so large right now. Not only has us 3.5 up instead of 5.5 up, but it pretty much eliminates us from winning the season series from Chicago (a sweep in our last series is unlikely).

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

From what I understand, the first tiebreaker for a division championship is head to head winning % correct? With the Cubs being 7-5 vs. the Brewers so far, we'd have to sweep to win the tiebreaker with them.

That only applies if the Brewers and Cubs are tied, and the team that does not win the division would the the NL wild card winner. In that case, both the Cubs and Brewers would make the playoffs (so no playoff is really necessary), with the tie-breaker being used to determine who wins the division and who is the wild card.

If a team from another division is the NL wild card winner, there is no tie-breaker to determine the division winner, but rather a playoff.

That Ramirez walk off win is looming so large right now. Not only has us 3.5 up instead of 5.5 up, but it pretty much eliminates us from winning the season series from Chicago (a sweep in our last series is unlikely).

I believe that would be a 4.5 games rather than 5.5. Milwaukee would gain 1/2 game for their win, and 1/2 game for the Cubs losing.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

From what I understand, the first tiebreaker for a division championship is head to head winning % correct?

Unless the rules have changed this is not correct -- generally there is a playoff game -- Game 163 -- The famous Red Sox/Yankees, Bucky Dent HR game for example, and I remember the Angels and M's having quite a game back in the early 90s.

The Ramirez walk-off actually is a 2 game difference, not one. Cubs have one less win, one more loss, Crew has one more win, one less loss, for a total of 2 games.

Crew would be 52-39

Cubs would be 46-44

Crew up by 5.5

Now I know that kind of stuff happens during the season, just sucks it was against Chicago.

Wouldn't it be 4.5, if the Brewers had won that game?

While I agree that losing that particular game was brutal, I think it might be a little early (with 2.5 months still remaining) to say that it is "looming" over the whole season.

Yes it is the winner of a coin toss. Usually sometime in early-mid September representatives from all the teams that have a chance at being tied get together and have coin tosses to determine a home field in the event there is a tie.

That Ramirez walk off win is looming so large right now.

I wonder if Cub fans talk about this game like that:

LINK

Every team has a dozen or more games they could point to and say, "we should have won that game." All the head-to-head games are important.

I realize that bud. Just making a point about the game and it's effect on our lead and the possible tiebreaker. And I already did note that "these things happen throughout the season, just sucks it was against the Cubs".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

t's effect on our lead and the possible tiebreaker. And I already did note that "these things happen throughout the season, just sucks it was against the Cubs".

It doesn't affect any sort of tie-breaker, though. The only two times a tie-breaker would come into play is in the event of a three-way (or more) tie, or in deciding which team is the Wild Card team and which is the division winner. A three-way tie seems very unlikely at this point. And if there is a tie-breaker to decide the division champ/wild card rep, I doubt I'll care because they are in the playoffs either way.

The worst realistic thing that lose would do is force a playoff against the Cubs. And if the Brewers don't win that game, they can point back to any one single lose over the course of the season as the game that prevented them from making the post season.

Chris

-----

"I guess underrated pitchers with bad goatees are the new market inefficiency." -- SRB

Three links that will help:

I'll get these added to the Resource FAQ when I have time. It may also pay to add this to the designated threads list. (The Resource FAQ and designated threads list are in the Major League Forum FAQ.)

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I realize that bud.

My avatar is of Wendy, not Bud.

And I already did note that "these things happen throughout the season, just sucks it was against the Cubs".

And all I was noting is that you can point to any of their head to head games and say the result "looms large". It would be a 1.5 game had Jenkins not made that diving catch against the Cubs.

Quote:
And all I was noting is that you can point to any of their head to head games and say the result "looms large".

Bingo.

One game is six-tenths of one percent of a team's season. Even if you can successfully argue that division games are more important than other games, you'll have a hard time convincing me that they're even twice as important as the average game.

That would make a division game worth about 1% of a team's season. Still not enough to be vitally important.

You want important games every time a team takes the field? Watch college or professional football. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Wearing my heart on my sleeve since birth. Hopefully, it's my only crime.

Twitter..

Blog..

Facebook.

I'm not blaming anyone for thinking of that blown game, as the Brewers lead in the Central dwindles. A two game swing is huge, after all. I just thought it was important to note that it's worked both ways this year.

unless something huge changes, the Cubs would have home field advantage either way, hate to say it, but it's the truth.

I think there's a day in late September where coins are flipped to decide homefield for potential playoff games. Last year, IIRC, this happened between the Astros and the Phillies, and the Astros and the Cards. That being said, I never ever want to experience a one-game playoff involving the Brewers. That's way too much pressure for me to handle. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

unless something huge changes, the Cubs would have home field advantage either way, hate to say it, but it's the truth.

I agree, if the Cubs continue to win every 15 of 19 games for the rest of the year, they will clinch by September.

Well, I don't think the Cubs would have the same Miller Park advantage they usually have since playoff games tickets would first be offered to season ticket holders and even fans with the 9 and 20 game packs. Also, I think the idea of a playoff game would energize the Brewers fans more. That said, there would still be a lot of Cubs fans that entered the lottery and got tickets.

Conversely, though the Cubs fans would be in the Majority at a Wrigley playoff game, the fact that Milwaukee fans would only have to drive an extra 90 miles to see the Crew in a playoff game against a hate division rival might mean that more Brewers fans try to get tickets for that game than they usually do for the regular season games.

That said, the fact that there is about a 5 to 1 advantage in Metro Chicagoans over Metro Milwaukeeans (though I'm sure the actual number of Cubs fans would be smaller in proportion to Chicago than Brewers fans in proportion to MIlwaukee), there would be a nauseating number of Cubs fans (i.e. more than 0) in either of those scenarios.

Archived