Brewer Fanatic

2013 MVPs - Andrew McCutchen NL, Miguel Cabrera AL

trwi7

Congrats to Cutch but man what a down year in the MVP race. The winner had an OPS of only slightly more than 900. That has got to be one the lowest numbers for a winner in years.

Cutch certainly was the most deserving though. 6 people that Matt Carpenter was the 2nd best player in the NL; holy crud. I am sure some STL beat writer but Molina and Carpenter 1-2

How did Matt Carpenter get 6 2nd place votes? I got it, he led the league in R, H & 2B. I can see the votes for him over Molina, but not over Goldschmidt. Goldschmidt led the league in HR, RBI, SLG%, OPS+ and TB. If the Diamondbacks even sniffed the 2nd wild card, Goldschmidt would have won MVP easily.

agreed

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Congrats to Cutch but man what a down year in the MVP race. The winner had an OPS of only slightly more than 900. That has got to be one the lowest numbers for a winner in years.

Cutch certainly was the most deserving though. 6 people that Matt Carpenter was the 2nd best player in the NL; holy crud. I am sure some STL beat writer but Molina and Carpenter 1-2

2007, Jimmy Rollins won it, with an .875 OPS, and a 119 OPS +

That being said, Cutch's 158 OPS+ is the same as Braun's in his MVP year of 2011, and fairly comparable to most of the recent winners. Anything over 150 for OPS+ is pretty much an "MVP type" season, at least offensively, and while McCutcheon's Dwar wasn't eye popping this year (1.0), it certainly wasn't bad, or bad enough to discount him from an MVP caliber season.

I think the writers got it right in the NL. McCutchen and Goldschmidt had very comparable offensive seasons, 44.6 runs produced for Goldy to 41.8 for Cutch. If two guys contribute more or less equally on offense and one plays center field while the other plays first base, I'm taking the center fielder.

Would have been interesting to see if the DBacks had made the posteseason if the voters would have went with Goldy and the HR/RBI combo or Cutch's all around game.

I think the writers got it right in the NL. McCutchen and Goldschmidt had very comparable offensive seasons, 44.6 runs produced for Goldy to 41.8 for Cutch. If two guys contribute more or less equally on offense and one plays center field while the other plays first base, I'm taking the center fielder.

Would have been interesting to see if the DBacks had made the posteseason if the voters would have went with Goldy and the HR/RBI combo or Cutch's all around game.

maybe Goldy would have gotten more 1st place votes, but lets not forget, Cutch led a franchise who hadnt had a winning season in 21 years to the playoffs. I think he'd have still won even if Arizona made the playoffs

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

My god...I listened to MLB Network Radio this weekend and I have an even greater hatred for Cardinals fans. The amount of whining by Cardinals fans calling in regarding Molina not winning MVP was barely tolerable already. However, having to hear the whining about Wainwright not winning Cy Young was downright unbearable, especially when you compare his numbers to Kershaw.

Archived