Brewer Fanatic

Braves leaving Atlanta (for neighboring county/Marietta)

Invader3K
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Atlanta's mayor said that they'll be tearing down the Ted in 2017. I mean, I know having a big ol' stadium sitting there empty is pretty much a waste of space, but man. 20 years old, and getting torn down. Man......

Seems ridiculous doesn't it? Here you have the Cubs playing in a very outdated venue like Wrigley Field which will be over 100 in a few years, and Turner Field won't last past 2017. Of course it's not the first time the Braves abandoned a modern venue for greener pastures. County Stadium was only 14 years old, and one of the most modern stadiums around when the Braves headed to Atlanta in 1966. Fulton County Stadium only lasted 30 years too. Of course, that place had lousy sight lines for both football and baseball. The Omni down there didn't last either, and how much longer will the Georgia Dome be around?

They go through sports venues pretty fast in Indianapolis too. Market Square Arena and the RCA/Hoosier Dome were perfectly functional but deemed outdated in a hurry.

The Bradley Center is only 25 years old. Of course, it was outdated when it was built.

By comparison the Milwaukee Arena was replaced by the BC after 38 years of service. Kind of ridiculous that a stadium now seems to have a shelf life of 30 years. Not worth the near billion dollar investment these cities are making, IMO.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

as one that lives 75 minutes south of the city, this was devastating news to me...they are moving the stadium into the vortex of traffic hell and the reasons given are mostly bullcrap.

for one, they told the public that a lack of public transit directly to the stadium is a problem at turner field---this is true, the nearest train station to Turner Field is a mile away. The only problem is that the train doesn't freaking run to Cobb county AT ALL! which means no mass transit in anyway.

This will also take an iffy area just south of downtown an literally turn it into the set of the walking dead---crap, maybe they can make it a walking dead theme park or something because this will total that area once and for all.

I hate the braves for doing this...i hate the falcons for doing this too...Georgia is dying for public revenue for infrastructure and education and we waste money replacing new stadiums. unreal.

well, i guess i'm happy everyone in roswell will only have to drive 20 minutes now instead of 45. good for them. I won't be going to braves games anymore.

I was waiting for your response on this Pogo.....living in Charlotte, I enjoyed getting to Braves games but really never understood the lack of infrastructure in the area of the stadium....frankly, the area around Miller Park is about as interesting as the area around Turner (which says a lot), and is a bunch safer.....just no foresight

This move sickens me almost as much as the Marlins Park scandal. A county that can't afford to make up a $12 million education shortfall somehow has $450 million for a baseball stadium. Unbelievable.

Not to get political here but looking at the way Cobb County plans to pay for this stadium is just ridiculous: http://deadspin.com/heres-how-cobb-county-will-pay-for-the-braves-ballpar-1464404976

What services are going to be cut when the $8 million is diverted annually to pay off the debt?

I liked the one comment questioning why they used a 30 year projection when the Braves have shown they're going to look to upgrade in 15-20.

This move sickens me almost as much as the Marlins Park scandal. A county that can't afford to make up a $12 million education shortfall somehow has $450 million for a baseball stadium. Unbelievable.

Not to get political here but looking at the way Cobb County plans to pay for this stadium is just ridiculous: http://deadspin.com/heres-how-cobb-county-will-pay-for-the-braves-ballpar-1464404976

What services are going to be cut when the $8 million is diverted annually to pay off the debt?

I liked the one comment questioning why they used a 30 year projection when the Braves have shown they're going to look to upgrade in 15-20.

Plus, i read somewhere that of the 250-275 million the Braves are supposed to be contributing, most of that money will come naming rights for the new park, in effect allowing the Braves to get the stadium mostly for free.

Didn't the Brewers do the same thing? That the naming rights deal with Miller didn't go towards lessening the cost of the stadium for taxpayers, but instead the Selig's were able to use that naming rights money as their "contribution" towards the park being built?

Miller Park has a great location. Downtown locations can give great views and settings, but they are nightmares for traffic. That's why Miller Park is in a great location to serve Milwaukee, Waukesha, Ozaukee, Washington, and other counties. I read the articles on the Braves' move and figured it had to be related to location and Atlanta's legendary traffic. Too bad the league still can't get the A's where their fans are.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm willing to bet that the move doesn't significantly impact their attendance. I mean if you can't fight a little bit of traffic to go to a friggin' playoff game then you weren't a real fan to begin with.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 1 month later...

No Chick-fil-as at the new Barves Stadium? Count me out.

I was at Turner Field (actually across the street at the former site of Fulton County Stadium) for a winter carnival earlier this month. The neighborhood is rough, which was one of the Braves concerns. They wanted the City of Atlanta to spend some money to improve the neighborhood. Some of the shady looking homes directly across the street could have been converted into condos.

I also agree about the traffic issues at Turner Field. It really was not that bad. Traffic at the new stadium will be a nightmare, and you don't have the ability to take public transportation either.

Archived