Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8

James Loney 162 game average:

.285/.340/.421 13 HR, 80 RBI

Ike Davis 162 game average:

.242/.334/.434 25 HR, 80 RBI

My #1 (Hart) and #2 (LoMo) choices for 1B were just acquired by the Mariners and these are really the only other options that have been linked to the Brewers in the past few weeks. I fully expect the Brewers to trade for Ike in the next few days rather than sign Loney to a ridiculous contract. Given a choice between the two, I think I am pulling for Davis shockingly.

EDIT: I really wish the Brewers would look at Michael Morse but they apparently have no interest.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In this day and age any veteran regular getting a deal with an average salary under $10 million cannot be considered "ridiculous". Ike Davis has upside, but also carries with him extreme downside. Like him or not, Loney's done well enough to maintain an everyday 1B job for 7 seasons. He's not an All Star, but the risk of him being a bust on the level of Davis' 2013 is nearly non-existent. Think of his contract in terms of if the Brewers were in need of an innings eating consistent yet not dominating starting pitcher to round out their staff. A guy getting $8-9 million per year to fill that role would be a bargain. The Brewers lack a quality 1B in a lineup that is otherwise set and where they are getting a huge bang for their buck at several positions. Investing in a guy who's reliable to fill that one open spot is fine. They project to get better than average production at a number of other spots: Catcher, CF, RF, 3B, SS. As long as they have average or close to elsewhere, then it's a good offensive team.

EDIT: I really wish the Brewers would look at Michael Morse but they apparently have no interest.

Do we know they have no interest? Or could it be that they might look into him as a 1B option now that Corey's moved on?

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

In this day and age any veteran regular getting a deal with an average salary under $10 million cannot be considered "ridiculous". Ike Davis has upside, but also carries with him extreme downside. Like him or not, Loney's done well enough to maintain an everyday 1B job for 7 seasons. He's not an All Star, but the risk of him being a bust on the level of Davis' 2013 is nearly non-existent. Think of his contract in terms of if the Brewers were in need of an innings eating consistent yet not dominating starting pitcher to round out their staff. A guy getting $8-9 million per year to fill that role would be a bargain. The Brewers lack a quality 1B in a lineup that is otherwise set and where they are getting a huge bang for their buck at several positions. Investing in a guy who's reliable to fill that one open spot is fine. They project to get better than average production at a number of other spots: Catcher, CF, RF, 3B, SS. As long as they have average or close to elsewhere, then it's a good offensive team.

You might be right JB but handing over a 3 years $27 million deal to James Loney does not sound like my idea of money well spent. Given Hunter Morris/Sean Halton/Jason Rogers, I think I would rather buy a lottery ticket on Ike Davis by giving up an Ariel Pena and hope a change of scenery helps him find his way back to just being a .260/.350/.460, 25-30 HR, 80-100 RBI guy.

I will say that if Tyler Thornburg is required for Ike, then I move on.

I was crusing my Bill James handbook. Just some names that I want to throw out. Tyler Colvin, poor year last year but has had some good years. Should be cheap, and can plat more than one position.

Daniel Nava, seems to get on base, had a good year last year, can play the outfield too.

Brett Wallace, down year, but power went up,dont think he is in the Astros plans

Scott VanSlyke, I always like him, not sure how much of the Dodgers plans he is in.

Do we know they have no interest? Or could it be that they might look into him as a 1B option now that Corey's moved on?

We don't. I grant you that. But we have not heard any linkage of the Brewers to him at all and now there is this...

Looks like the Astros are going to get him on a 1 year deal to build his value. That type of deal would have been perfect for the Brewers.

Well, just because the Astros are in on him, doesn't mean we can't be...

Pickings are getting slim, why not kick the tires and see what happens?

I still think we can make due with our in-house options but it appears that the FO is bent on getting another body.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Mark Reynolds is an absolute strike-out machine...

Again, I'd rather go in-house than hire a guy like him.

What does in-house entail? Because Francisco is one of few players (only player?) in baseball who strikes out more Reynolds. The difference being he doesn't have any of the upside.

I really don't understand why Hunter Morris wasn't called up in August/September...I read a tweet that said Melvin regretted not making that move. We really had nothing to lose and Morris could have broken out like Scooter Gennett and Khris Davis did. Those guys didn't necessarily mash in AAA and neither has Morris, but at least they got a shot to make the transition and have had short term success. That way we wouldn't be talking about guys like James Loney and Ike Davis.

I really don't see why Ike or Loney are that bad of options:

Loney- perfect 2 hole hitter for us, brings a much needed lefty bat, and plays excellent defense. 8 mil or so a year is very fair for a player like this

Ike- great buy low candidate, could end up becoming a big part of our lineup and again brings a much needed lefty bat. Boom or Bust guy but the upside is clearly there, wouldn't give up any real upside young pitching for him but if u can get him on a buy low, thats the type of move the brewers should make more often.

Mark Reynolds is an absolute strike-out machine...

Again, I'd rather go in-house than hire a guy like him.

What does in-house entail? Because Francisco is one of few players (only player?) in baseball who strikes out more Reynolds. The difference being he doesn't have any of the upside.

In-house entails:

1. Hunter Morris

2. Sean Halton

3. Jason Rogers

I do not, nor will I consider Francisco as in-house. I just can't imagine having to watch that lazy bum for a full season.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I think we are going to see a loney signing in the two year 15 million dollar range by the brewers or the rays really soon...

And I would sort of prefer him over Davis because I don't want to trade whatever it takes to get him, and I think loney's defensive value will help the team.

And I would sort of prefer him over Davis because I don't want to trade whatever it takes to get him, and I think loney's defensive value will help the team.

This! I would be encouraged with Loney who could help balance this lineup out. I don't think Loney vs. Davis is close to me as one of the two routinely puts up 100+ K seasons and the other has never had over 95 K's in more years played.

The more I think about Loney, the more & more solid an option he strikes me as being. He's not flashy, he's not a power "stud," but he's a pretty solid all-around player. He's also "only" 29, meaning a 3-year/$21M deal (not $27, I don't think) or 2/$16M w/ a vesting option likely wouldn't push him into the twilight of his career . . . and he'd have value if he's close to his career norms if/when one of the string of young 1B's finally proves worthy of unseating Loney.

Wow, I'm shocked that Hart would chose the incentives over the guaranteed money. That's a gamble.

Anyways Doug Melvin said he wants to find an established 1B man, and said, "we have tried enough non 1B man at 1B."

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

Wow, I'm shocked that Hart would chose the incentives over the guaranteed money. That's a gamble.

Anyways Doug Melvin said he wants to find an established 1B man, and said, "we have tried enough non 1B man at 1B."

The Mariners offered $2 million more guaranteed.

DHonks, I'd take Gamel, too -- especially if that allows us to get rid of JF21, but they have yet to re-sign Gamel now that he's been non-tendered & therefore is an FA. Defensively he'd be a dropoff from Loney's glove, but I'd still go for that move. Short of that move, I'd rather see Loney . . . partly because I REALLY don't want JF21 around b/c they'll be too tempted by his power to use him (typically ignoring his other faults until they've caused way too much damage).

Somebody should send Caleb Gindl a first baseman's glove for Christmas.

There are a lot of things I think Gindl is capable of doing at the big-league level. Playing 1B at 5'9" isn't one of them.

I wouldn't say it's optimal, but he couldn't possibly be worse than Prince Fielder out there. And people are legitimately suggesting 5'10" Rickie Weeks there as well.

What's Travis Ishikawa up to these days?

Somebody should send Caleb Gindl a first baseman's glove for Christmas.

There are a lot of things I think Gindl is capable of doing at the big-league level. Playing 1B at 5'9" isn't one of them.

I wouldn't say it's optimal, but he couldn't possibly be worse than Prince Fielder out there. And people are legitimately suggesting 5'10" Rickie Weeks there as well.

What's Travis Ishikawa up to these days?

The first thought I had when I saw these suggestions was 'no way', for the exact same reason. Neither guy fits there, but the sorry state of the Brewers organization at 1B is what has led us here.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived