Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, now that thats over, how about trying to get either smoak or Montero from Seattle to handle first. Both might be better options than ike.

Smoak, maybe. Montero, no. The only reason Montero was ever considered a good hitter is because he was a catcher. His offense at first would be very average-ish. Certainly an upgrade over last year but not worth it.

Agreed on Montero...and btw wasn't he a PED user? I think he was using in the minors that got him the praise as a Yankee Prospect(thanks ARoid) only to get off and become completely irrevelant.

I have a feeling Smoak is headed to Tampa.

Well, now that thats over, how about trying to get either smoak or Montero from Seattle to handle first. Both might be better options than ike.

Smoak, maybe. Montero, no. The only reason Montero was ever considered a good hitter is because he was a catcher. His offense at first would be very average-ish. Certainly an upgrade over last year but not worth it.

That's not true -- check out his MiLB stats, especially his line of .289/.353/.517/.870 as a 20-yo at AAA. Now, turns out PEDs were involved, but he was definitely regarded as an elite offensive prospect, not just as a catcher.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Supposedly Doug is meeting with Loney's agent. The years don't scare me with him, its the average per year. Id rather have Ike, but if its true wed have to give up Thornburg for Ike than Loney is in my opinion the next best option

I wonder how much Billy butler is going to cost.... Aside from just winging it with morris/ halton/ francisco or Moving Braun I see that as the only option that makes sense at 1b
"Did I ever tell you how I became a Postman Abby? I don't know if you'd laugh or cry"-The Postman

Supposedly Doug is meeting with Loney's agent. The years don't scare me with him, its the average per year. Id rather have Ike, but if its true wed have to give up Thornburg for Ike than Loney is in my opinion the next best option

If the Brewers can't afford a guy like Loney, they are indeed in trouble and/or salaries have finally gotten out of hand.

Loney on a 3 year $24 million (give or take a few million) deal shouldn't be out of their reach. If someone emerges from within, they should be able to move him down the road if he puts up his career numbers.

If the Brewers can't afford a guy like Loney, they are indeed in trouble and/or salaries have finally gotten out of hand.

Loney on a 3 year $24 million (give or take a few million) deal shouldn't be out of their reach. If someone emerges from within, they should be able to move him down the road if he puts up his career numbers.

I didn't mean it as they couldn't afford it, I was saying in terms of a 3/30 deal that I don't know if I'm comfortable giving him 10 mil a year. But he very well could be the best option and if he plays like he did last year 10 a year should be just fine

Based on the rumors I am thinking Davis becomes the 1b for Milw. and since LoMo was gotten for Carter Capps, one can deduct that Thornburg is a close approximation to what Davis' value may be.

I just foresee Thornburg...being in NY Citi Field going on to a 3.1ERA on the season as a Starter. He's going to be very good for them in that ballpark. Meanwhile we cross our fingers and hope that Davis can keep his 1b job over Morris.

What I don't get is why not Hellweg? Fits the bill of boom/bust potential both teams are receiving. Thornburg will help the Mets regardless as a SP or a RP.

Loney and Francisco are the same player:

Oliver projections

Loney: .277/.330/.397 wRC+99

Francisco: .242/.302/.459 wRC+106

Loney's only good year (last year) was all BABIP driven.

2013 Offense from some of the remaining options:

James Loney: .339 wOBA

Justin Smoak: .331 wOBA

Mitch Moreland: .320 wOBA

Ike Davis: .297 wOBA

Personally, I want Smoak out of that group if he is cheap enough. But maybe the Mariners are planning to use him in another trade (e.g. to Tampa Bay)

Loney does play very solid D and could fill in as a solid 2 hole hitter for us behind Segura, also bringing in a much needed lefty bat to the lineup. His power numbers are not great, especially for a first basemen, but out of the available options he is 2nd to Ike, and Ike only takes preference if we can get him cheap

Is "we can just trade him" code for "let's sign an aging player and hold onto him until he he has no value and we are stuck with him because he has become ineffective because of injury and age?"

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Oliver projections

Francisco's problem is he is incapable of hitting LHP, so I am guessing his Oliver projection is skewed by the fact that in his career he's primarily been used against RHP only. I don't think he's an everyday option.

Gee surprise, surprise a baseball player having a truly great year his FA year. I want nothing to do with Loney unless it's an incentive laden 1year deal. Getting him for 3 years completely removes Morris altogether from the Brewers Future. May as well waive him.

Morris's AAA season has pretty much removed Morris from the Brewers future. A 24 year old 1B not hitting in the PCL leads to organizations looking for other options.

Oliver projections

Why would Loney project below his career averages of .285/.340/.421, playing in MP and in the NL Central instead of the NL West, a pitchers division? And who is this Oliver and why isn't he tending his farm in Hooterville?

I realize the metrics come out similar, but honestly to say Loney and Francisco are the same player is indeed a stretch. Defensively, it's not a contest either.

Mariners picked up Morrison too? (I didn't want him but just sayin')

This is unbelievable!!!!!

Dougie got caught sleeping, that or he had planned on Davis all along...

This sucks.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Based on the rumors I am thinking Davis becomes the 1b for Milw. and since LoMo was gotten for Carter Capps, one can deduct that Thornburg is a close approximation to what Davis' value may be.

I just foresee Thornburg...being in NY Citi Field going on to a 3.1ERA on the season as a Starter. He's going to be very good for them in that ballpark. Meanwhile we cross our fingers and hope that Davis can keep his 1b job over Morris.

What I don't get is why not Hellweg? Fits the bill of boom/bust potential both teams are receiving. Thornburg will help the Mets regardless as a SP or a RP.

You can't base what Melvin would do based on what another GM was willing to do for a different player. Capps hasn't had the success at the major league level that Thornburg has. Thornburg is no worse that 50-50 to be in Brewer rotation on opening day. Capps has never started a game in the majors, and probably needs more time in the minors. Besides it's been reported Melvin turned down Davis for Thornburg.

Serious question: What if they just move Rickie Weeks to 1B? Assuming he rebounds to his career levels he is much better offensively than any of the options we're discussing, and obviously athletic enough that I wouldn't think defense would be a major issue. I know he's allegedly resisted position changes in the past, but this time it would be guaranteeing him lost playing time.

(Will never happen, of course)

Mariners picked up Morrison too? (I didn't want him but just sayin')

This is unbelievable!!!!!

Dougie got caught sleeping, that or he had planned on Davis all along...

This sucks.

Or he doesn't want to pay what either team was asking for either player & is busy exploring options across the rest of the league.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Let me say I kind of like the idea of Loney. I dont like the idea of a 3 year27 million contract. I like the idea of a good defensive /average hitting firstbasman. This team seems to hit up and down the order,we can afford to give an average hitter a chance as long as we have no injuries.

Second option, put a firstbaseman glove on Jason Kubel and give him an incentive laiden contract

Archived