Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8

Sure seems like while the Brewers want Hart back, they seem to be asking him to take some sort of reduced salary compared to other teams. From the JS blog:

Manager Ron Roenicke said, "We're trying to figure out if we can't bring (Hart) back, where we go. Whether by trade or signing a free agent. There's a lot of discussion about it.

"Corey knows where I stand on what I think about him. It always comes down to a decision on how much he wants to come back with us, and where we are financially with our offer. He's a quality guy and when he's healthy he's certainly a great player.

The "how much he wants to come back" part is the big part to me.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What am I missing about Ike Davis? He's 26, raked in the minors, has a career .768 OPS, including a 32 home run season in 2012. I know he had a rough one last year, but isn't he a potential buy low candidate?

The biggest problem with Davis is he's absolutely atrocious vs lefties. Check out his line vs lefties over his MLB career so far.

.204 BA

.268 OBP

.334 SLG

.602 OPS

You would have to be crazy to not platoon Davis if he's on your team and that would make me be unwilling to give up all that much for him. His problem vs lefties is the biggest reason why i don't want him on the Brewers because Roenicke has stated not being a big fan of platoons in general and there likely wouldn't be an obvious righthanded platoon mate on the roster to push Roenicke to never start Davis with a lefty on the mound.

I think a case could be made for Sean Halton. His splits didn't show it in 2013 but in 2012, he posted a .941 OPS vs. lefties in AAA. There's also a rumor floating that the Brewers are interested in Brett Pill, but he's hit RHP a lot better than LHP.

I'd be fine with a strict Halton/Davis platoon so long as we got Davis cheap.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Man I really hope Hart comes back. Why tender a contract to Francisco if you might make a deal to bring in Ike Davis? Seems like the same player to me.

If Hart comes back, Francisco would probably be a nice player to back up 1b/3b (not that he's very good at either position). But he's lefthanded, has some pop, is cheap, and can fill in for an extended period if (when) someone is hurt.

Tyler Green would also fill the same void, but who knows how he will be next spring.

Green or Francisco, a lefty back up to 1b/3b is a nice way to fill your bench (along with Bianchi or someone like him to back up SS/2b).

Jim Duquette ‏@Jim_Duquette 1m

Source: Mets asked Brewers for young, controllable pitching for Ike - Thornburg among others. MIL said no and were told they're out.

Thank goodness. Thornburg for Ike Davis would have been depressing.

Source: Mets asked Brewers for young, controllable pitching for Ike - Thornburg among others. MIL said no and were told they're out.

I know teams can ask for whatever they want but is the GM for the Mets completely insane, Ike is GARBAGE. Comical at best.

So, let's assume that whatever the Brewers would potentially give up for Davis is fair market value for him regardless of what his actual value is. It's in theory an even trade, ignoring any buy low/sell high arguments. If both teams are giving up fair value there's no net gain in talent; the only advantage would be decreasing from positions of depth to shore up weak positions.

Given that the organization is short on talent, I'd rather give up cash for free agents than young players for other young players. Keep as much talent as possible, give out cash to acquire talent. With the draft and international signing pool limits and penalties any money given to free agents now is not taking away from signing young talent.

Trade not-young talent for young talent - yes. Trade young talent for young talent - assuming a fair trade - to me is treading water (unless it is young OF talent for young 3B talent).

Wow, just wow. You know maybe pre-2013 that trade would have made sense today? Not one bit. Thornburg has proven value while Davis has proved he's as likely to play in the minors as he can in the Majors this season. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Davis didn't stick with the team who trades for him due to complete lousiness.

I do see the idea of Pena for Davis only somewhat appealing. But really I think Pena will go on to have a better career than Davis and again, Davis just may be benched permanently! when he goes .200/.244/.365 as a 1b. Hunter Morris please just step up to the plate for Milw at 1b(assuming Hart isn't signed tonight)

Edit add: that's the thing that bothers me is that I feel we already of Ike Davis in our organization in the name of Hunter Morris. Every bit of concern batting with Davis is exactly the concern we have with Morris.

The last thing the brewers can afford to give up is young controlled pitching. It'd be ridiculous for the to give up anything more than a C- prospect for a guy that's arby-eligible and won't be starting anyway. He should be looked at as nothing more than a salery dump.

Oh my, that would have done it for me, the boycott would have been on until Doug was fired had he given up Thornburg in a Davis deal...

*yikes*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'll echo the relief that common sense prevailed here for DM. I do find it interesting, though, that it doesn't sound like the Mets are looking to sell low on Davis at this point.

Sounds a lot like the Mets 1B will still be in NY unless they are willing to accept that he will not command anything more than a C prospect. Like I said earlier, the most the Brewers should part with for I. Davis is a Ariel Pena, a player who has some talent but also has some serious warts (Pena's is BB).

Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that the Brewers "sound positioned to move quickly" on Ike Davis if they're unable to re-sign Corey Hart.

Re-signing Hart appears to be the Brewers' first choice at first base, but Davis looks like their backup plan. If he could manage to re-discover his power stroke, Davis could take off at Miller Park. Martino says the Brew Crew has "done extensive background work on him." Hart is expected to make a decision as soon as Tuesday night, so we could find out soon whether Davis is a fit in Milwaukee.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Brewers are "working to try to secure a return" of Corey Hart.

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com has reported that Hart could make a decision as soon as Tuesday night, and Jim Duquette of SiriusXM has reported that the Brewers are now out on Ike Davis, who was viewed as the club's backup plan. In other words, things are trending towards Hart re-signing with the Brew Crew soon. An announcement could be forthcoming.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that the Brewers "sound positioned to move quickly" on Ike Davis if they're unable to re-sign Corey Hart.

Re-signing Hart appears to be the Brewers' first choice at first base, but Davis looks like their backup plan. If he could manage to re-discover his power stroke, Davis could take off at Miller Park. Martino says the Brew Crew has "done extensive background work on him." Hart is expected to make a decision as soon as Tuesday night, so we could find out soon whether Davis is a fit in Milwaukee.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that the Brewers are "working to try to secure a return" of Corey Hart.

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com has reported that Hart could make a decision as soon as Tuesday night, and Jim Duquette of SiriusXM has reported that the Brewers are now out on Ike Davis, who was viewed as the club's backup plan. In other words, things are trending towards Hart re-signing with the Brew Crew soon. An announcement could be forthcoming.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter

Turbo, I love that you've been posting these updates in the Transactions forum -- can you please also include the links for said tidbits going forward? Thanks!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, free agent slugger Corey Hart is "torn between re-signing with the Brewers and another club that may be the Mariners."

CBS Sports' Jon Heyman confirms that Seattle has expressed serious interest. Hart loves Milwaukee and Milwaukee loves Hart, but the Mariners are spending big this winter and are probably capable of making him the most lucrative offer. The 31-year-old missed the entire 2013 season while recovering from surgery on both of his knees, but he had an .857 OPS between 2010-2012 and averaged 29 home runs per year during that span.

Source: Bob Nightengale on Twitter

Well, now that thats over, how about trying to get either smoak or Montero from Seattle to handle first. Both might be better options than ike.

Smoak, maybe. Montero, no. The only reason Montero was ever considered a good hitter is because he was a catcher. His offense at first would be very average-ish. Certainly an upgrade over last year but not worth it.

Archived