Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lucroy and Maldonado defensively, overall, is probably close to a wash. The problem is offensively you're really just exchanging Overbay/Reynolds for Maldonado which isn't an upgrade, and you'll lose the good defense over at 1st.

Lucroy and Maldonado defensively, overall, is probably close to a wash. The problem is offensively you're really just exchanging Overbay/Reynolds for Maldonado which isn't an upgrade, and you'll lose the good defense over at 1st.

Yeah, but to me the saving wear and tear on Lucroy would trump the lesser defense at 1B. But I'm not saying do it all the time, once a week would be nice.

Plus at this time I think Maldy's offense is slightly better than Reynolds offense. We keep waiting for that hot streak and it doesn't look like it is coming. Even with Reynolds getting the benefit of the semi-platoon status, Maldy's batting has been better.

Really wish we has somebody to go get at 1b that would be worthwhile. Can we just play Lucroy at 1b the rest of the season and remove Overbay+Reynolds? Bring up Zarraga and have Maldy and him Catch? I get that we believe Lucroy's Bat doesn't play up to 1b standards but then again, look at Victor Martinez whose slg is .100 above his career norms now that he's strictly DH'ng and not Catcher/DH.

I don't actually believe that his bat doesn't play up to 1B standards. I find that whole line of thought to be pointless. Does it really matter if he doesn't hit 30 HR's if he can hit .300 and get on base? I think too much emphasis is placed upon offense from position. I don't care where you get it from. There was a suggestion made when Weeks was hitting well and didn't want to move to LF and someone asked why don't we try Gennett out there. The argument was because his bat doesn't play in LF. I understand you have an ideal player in mind, or at least a baseline, but if you can't meet that, you put the best lineup you have out there.

All that aside, I like the idea of playing Luc at 1st more and Maldy behind the plate. Maldy is a very good defender, and Lucroy's such a good offensive player, you can keep him a little healthier.

It's not just Lucroy's bat his pitch framing saves a ridiculous amount of runs.

If you completely buy into that metric and the value placed upon it. I read one article that argued that Jose Molina in his job as a part time catcher has been more valuable just by framing pitches over the last two years that Stanton.

I think the pendulum has swung to the point where I can't really value the "runs saved," from Lucroy from pitch framing.

I absolutely think Lucroy's offensive ability is enough that it's worth protecting his body by moving him from catcher as often as possible. I just doubt we'll see it this year.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

If you completely buy into that metric and the value placed upon it. I read one article that argued that Jose Molina in his job as a part time catcher has been more valuable just by framing pitches over the last two years that Stanton.

I think the pendulum has swung to the point where I can't really value the "runs saved," from Lucroy from pitch framing.

I'm curious -- do you have a reason for dismissing the pitch framing data? There's plenty I don't know, so maybe I'm just a rube here. But I understand how they got the data, and the methodology seems sound to me. It's also shown some consistency over seasons; Lucroy isn't just some one-year pitch-framing wonder. On top of all that, the data seem to correspond with what scouts and observers say about good catching form: stay still, minimize movement of the target, etc.

Maybe there's more to your skepticism, but you seem to be saying that you dismiss the pitch-framing stuff just because it's new and counter-intuitive. I think those are good reasons to review a claim skeptically, but as far as I can tell, this one holds up pretty well under review.

I posted this in the Morales to the Mariners thread but anyone think that the Brewers have any interest in seeing if they can acquire Corey Hart now that the Mariners have Morrison, Morales, Smoak and Montero for 1B & DH? I would definitely make the phone call if I am Doug Melvin as I can't imagine the Brewers would have to give up much of anything to re-acquire Corey.

Even the shadow of Hart is probably better than our current 1B situation, so it's worth looking into. However, I think he's broken down, so I wouldn't put a lot into getting him so that we could make long-term plans around him.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Even the shadow of Hart is probably better than our current 1B situation, so it's worth looking into.

Hart has a wRC+ of 79

Reynolds has wRC+ of 96

wRC+ takes into consideration park and league adjustments. Reynolds is by far better than Hart is this year. If you like WAR Hart currently has a -0.6 while Reynolds has a 1.6. If you want to go even further than that Hart has a slash line of .214/.295/.332 and Reynolds has a slash line of .208/.302/.405. Hart is only leading Reynolds in average and it is not all that much while Reynolds is destroying Hart in Slugging.

I want no part of Hart on the Brewers unless you are talking about trading Herrera or someone similar to him for Hart.

I don't see Corey Hart as being a guy who will ever recover and go on to be anything close to his career averages. I think he is done, and possibly the only reason anyone would consider him is that he WAS a Brewer. If that was not the case, I don't think he would be mentioned here in any way.
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Justin Morneau returned last night, and had a double plus 3 walks. Brewers need him badly. The Rockies have a capable replacement in Ben Paulsen. Get this done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Justin Morneau returned last night, and had a double plus 3 walks. Brewers need him badly. The Rockies have a capable replacement in Ben Paulsen. Get this done.

Yes. Him or Napoli. I will roll will Lohse-Garza-Peralta-Gallardo-Nelson if we can acquire a competent 1B, even if the Cardinals pull off a deal for Price or Lester. I like our chances with that rotation and an addition of Morneau or Napoli to our everyday lineup.

For no reason other than intuition, I foresee Lucroy playing more and more at 1B and Maldonado moving into the lineup more as the everyday catcher. Like I said, I have nothing to go on other than feeling, but this seems to be a route the Brewers could go to get a different bat into the lineup. Perhaps this outside the box thinking could result in the Brewers targeting a catcher at the deadline such as Yasmani Grandal.

What's Morneau's contract status?

IMO, he's the target the Brewers should make a strong push for - inserting that LH bat into the lineup and having Reynolds as a platoon mate and power bat off the bench to pinch hit and give ARam the days off he'll need to stay fresh is about the best thing for this roster that can happen. I'd be willing to overpay in order to get that done, too.

Does Estrada, Roache, and Jungmann get this done?

Justin signed a 2 year deal with Colorado this past off-season.

And I absoltely agree, Justin is the perfect piece for us... I know he's been hitting in Coors this year but looks like he's fully healed from those concussion issues.

The scary thin with Reynolds hitting well lately is now Melvin won't see a need for an upgrade. Morneau would be huge. Big LH bat in the middle of our lineup!
"This is a very simple game. You throw the ball, you catch the ball, you hit the ball. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose, sometimes it rains." Think about that for a while.

With the Red Sox now getting Craig from St. Louis how about a Bradley and the Brewers competitive balance pick for Craig or Napoli? One of them is going to have to be traded as I don't see them keeping both and Craig is more of a 1B than he is an OF.

With the Red Sox now getting Craig from St. Louis how about a Bradley and the Brewers competitive balance pick for Craig or Napoli? One of them is going to have to be traded as I don't see them keeping both and Craig is more of a 1B than he is an OF.

Craigs contact is abysmal considering that he has completely forgotten how to hit. Not worth the risk even if we weren't giving up assets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

You said no to Bradley for Morneau but would offer this for Craig? Morneau's road OPS this year is over 300 points higher than Craigs, plus Craig is owed significantly more future money.

Morneau in the starting lineup today against the Cubs...keep an eye on whether he gets pulled off the field at any point over the next two hrs!

Man I hope so... That would be so nice with getting Parra today.

You said no to Bradley for Morneau but would offer this for Craig? Morneau's road OPS this year is over 300 points higher than Craigs, plus Craig is owed significantly more future money.

If the Brewers could have gotten Morneau for Jebediah, I assume the Brewers would be giddy. They'd have their 1B for not only this year but next year as well...and hell, maybe a 3rd year, and a left handed one at that for a relatively cheap salary.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived