Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We knew Morales wouldn't be an upgrade or a minimal upgrade at best.

Who didn't think Morales was going to be an upgrade? I believe almost everyone did, and I'd be curious as to why someone wouldn't have thought that. All you have to do is go back on this very thread and there were pages and pages regarding Morales. The only arguments against getting him were, 1-He was likely going to cost too much because TOO many teams were targeting him, in particular the Yankees. 2-He would demand a multi year deal. 3-He might start slow because he didn't have ST'ing(*that one seems to be the most accurate since we're talking about 33 games).

Morales had put up an OPS near .790 the past two years playing last year in Seattle a very pitcher friendly park, hit 45 HR's and had a BA of .275, AND is a left handed hitter.

He had a 2.9 WAR last year vs Reynolds 1 WAR and Overbay's .6 WAR.

So 2.9 WAR in 154 games vs 1.6 WAR in 277 games combined.

And of course Morales was the youngest of the 3.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Would also like to add that there were some that wouldn't think he would be an upgrade because he would break down trying to play first every day. I never thought he would be an upgrade for a NL team.

Would also like to add that there were some that wouldn't think he would be an upgrade because he would break down trying to play first every day. I never thought he would be an upgrade for a NL team.

You didn't believe he was going to be an upgrade over Lyle Overbay back in April and May? Perhaps you didn't, but you were in the vast minority at the time. I certainly thought he would be and I still do moving forward.

Many posters believed it was a foregone conclusion he'd end up in Milwaukee while many others were just concerned that he'd want too many years or too much money for us to be able to afford it.

I'm not saying there wasn't a couple here and there who didn't think he'd be an upgrade..just that looking back in this thread, I don't see many of them.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I'm glad that they passed on Morales. As bad as Reynolds has been at the plate for the past six weeks, it's debatable whether Morales has been any better. Overbay has outperformed Morales by a ton in that stretch, and picked up the slack for Reynolds somewhat. All that said, I'm hoping that they are kicking the tires on Morneau. A deal for Morneau/Hawkins makes a ton of sense, but the price will likely be steep. I really sense that the Brewers are going to have difficulty making any significant moves unless teams are willing to take guys from the low minors. The cupboard is bare when it comes to near MLB ready talent.

The Rockies don't have to deal Morneau so they'll put a price tag on him that's outlandish. They'd want a major league ready arm with upside. They can still sell the fact that injuries decimated what would have been a competitive team going into next year. I still don't understand the lack of interest on the Brewers part this past offseason. I thought the two best available 1B options were Morneau and Morse and the Brewers were never linked to either. I think the Brewers can make it through this year with what they have, but next year is another question as the search for help at 1B might be even more critical. I'm actually starting to come around to the thought of finding an OF and converting Braun to 1B.

MLBTR wrote a piece about the 1b trade market

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/07/trade-market-for-first-basemen-3.html

Honestly, I get why Melvin is more than likely settled with the platoon we have.

It's pretty awful. I read the comments below and of course a Pirate fan chirps in how they wish they'd just kept Garrett Jones vs. acquiring Ike Davis, so yeah, that wasn't a missed pickup.

The problem at 1b had to deal with Hart not signing a team deal. Morneau signed the same day Hart did. Morse after a -1.5WAR season in 2013 still commanded 6mil from the Giants(figuring you have to beat that offer) Would you have done a 6.5-7.5mil deal for Morse for age 32 season after a -1.5WAR season? One where he's never been a positive defensively so you're only relying on his bat that in his previous 190 games had 30 2bs/31HRs?

Aside from 2011(magical year for many including Braun right?) He was a career .8WAR over 8 seasons? That's worth over 6mil for 1year? No, you don't do that deal, it was bound to blow up in your face....Somehow the Giants are getting better production from him than his career norm....I'm sure historic numbers will return him back to his 0-1WAR player he is.

Loney? Who knows with him? Maybe he just wanted to remain on a contender. I think the problem with him was 3year deal. w/o having a DH spot to use him in years 2 or 3 if Morris gave them ample reason to promote him.

The only 1b I'm interested in is Yonder Alonso. I'd really give up both Estrada/Jungmann for him plus Morris. He's had success and I really feel that ballpark limits him offensively. Prior to this season he at least put up over 100 on OPS+

Low strikeout rate, I just feel this is the kind of guy who can really turn things around, and maybe a trade to a team in the hunt for a Division with a HR friendly ballpark will be the kind of spark he needs to begin hitting again. You remove Overbay(maybe he's traded to SD to finish the season for them at 1b) and Reynolds can platoon while being a backup 3b for Ramirez. And meanwhile you have your 1b for next season. I'd overpay in trade for that at the moment if need be.

Yonder Alonso should be the target in my opinion. I would love to pick him and Yasmani Grandal up but having Lucroy, Alonso and Grandal for 1B & C seems excessive. Maybe some combination package of Estrada, Jungmann, Maldonado + for Alonso and Grandal.

I really want Grandal as well, that also means either he or Lucroy are going to have to play 1B full time. Grandal has played it, and is a switch hitter...let's go for it.

I'd have some interest in Parmalee because he can play both the OF and 1B and he still might have some upside. He's not much if any of an upgrade over Overbay, but he might flash considerably more power in Miller Park than Target Field and his career road splits aren't all that bad: .262/.329/.427. Plus he fares decently against both righties and lefties. He's also controllable and cheap and if he didn't win the starting job next year, he has bench versatility.

Verified Member
The Marlins are leaning towards selling which means Garrett Jones could be an option. With his ability to play the corner outfield he'd be my top target.

Melvin should target a package of Garrett Jones + Steve Cishek.

The Marlins are leaning towards selling which means Garrett Jones could be an option. With his ability to play the corner outfield he'd be my top target.

Get Casey McGehee thrown in on the deal too, lol.

According to Mass, you might get your wish. Keep your fingers crossed. Check out the Agent39 thread. I only hope that Estrada is part of that deal and we don't give up too much future talent.

Formerly Uecker Quit Usingers

Garrett Jones .248 .317 .414 .730 100

Lyle Overbay .238 .315 .348 .663 84

Jones represents a slight upgrade over Overbay at first glance, until you realize that all 10 of his HR's are against RHP and he has a .791 OPS vs RHP

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I'm more concerned with the RH portion of the first base platoon. Reynolds has 2 RBI in the last month and his OPS for the season vs. LHP is .594.

I'd rather have Jeff Baker and his career .861 OPS vs. lefties included with Cishek. Baker could either replace Weeks in the 2B platoon or Reynolds in the 1B platoon. He also can play 3B. Another option is bringing up Halton. Halton has hit .322/.365/.475, an .840 OPS vs. lefties this year at AAA.

I'm more concerned with the RH portion of the first base platoon. Reynolds has 2 RBI in the last month and his OPS for the season vs. LHP is .594.

I'd rather have Jeff Baker and his career .861 OPS vs. lefties included with Cishek. Baker could either replace Weeks in the 2B platoon or Reynolds in the 1B platoon. He also can play 3B. Another option is bringing up Halton. Halton has hit .322/.365/.475, an .840 OPS vs. lefties this year at AAA.

The weak side of the platoon plays less than 40% of the time. If Reynolds continue to struggle you could use those games to give Lucroy a break by playing 1B and starting Maldonado at catcher.

@WiscoSportsNut

Really wish we has somebody to go get at 1b that would be worthwhile. Can we just play Lucroy at 1b the rest of the season and remove Overbay+Reynolds? Bring up Zarraga and have Maldy and him Catch? I get that we believe Lucroy's Bat doesn't play up to 1b standards but then again, look at Victor Martinez whose slg is .100 above his career norms now that he's strictly DH'ng and not Catcher/DH.

Archived