Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
My guess is Morneau having the previous MVP season makes him another 3-6mil in cost over Hart. And I'm suggesting Hart gets 10mil. 1b is weak so there are numerous bidders for both Hart and Morneau and the Brewers stand zero chance of competing unless Melvin opens up his wallet and pays 1 of them 10-13mil next season damn the results.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Michael Morse is kind of intriguing because in a small sample (40PA) he's really raked in Miller Park (.432/.475/.973). He had an injury plagued year in 2013, but if he's healthy, a return to the NL where he's put up good numbers, might be the ticket. He also figures to be a buy low guy.

It's been so quiet on Morse, I'm all for the Brewers going all big and monster (right-handed or not) and let a motivated Morse establish value on a one-year deal blasting balls half-way up towards Bernie's slide. Wouldn't he be a safer (and cheaper) bet than Hart at this point? Morse isn't the first guy to get frustrated and banged up first year at Safeco.

Rotoworld October 16th --

Michael Morse will undergo surgery on his left wrist Wednesday to shave down a bone outgrowth.

"Doctors believe the outgrowth occurred as a result of trauma from an injury back in May. It's a relatively minor procedure, as Morse will be able to resume some activities within four weeks and should be totally healed within 6-8 weeks. An impending free agent, Morse will enter spring training with a clean bill of health."

130 career games at first base, 6'5" target.

Michael Morse is kind of intriguing because in a small sample (40PA) he's really raked in Miller Park (.432/.475/.973). He had an injury plagued year in 2013, but if he's healthy, a return to the NL where he's put up good numbers, might be the ticket. He also figures to be a buy low guy.

It's been so quiet on Morse, I'm all for the Brewers going all big and monster (right-handed or not) and let a motivated Morse establish value on a one-year deal blasting balls half-way up towards Bernie's slide. Wouldn't he be a safer (and cheaper) bet than Hart at this point? Morse isn't the first guy to get frustrated and banged up first year at Safeco.

Rotoworld October 16th --

Michael Morse will undergo surgery on his left wrist Wednesday to shave down a bone outgrowth.

"Doctors believe the outgrowth occurred as a result of trauma from an injury back in May. It's a relatively minor procedure, as Morse will be able to resume some activities within four weeks and should be totally healed within 6-8 weeks. An impending free agent, Morse will enter spring training with a clean bill of health."

130 career games at first base, 6'5" target.

I don't understand why not either. My goodness, he scared me every time he came up against the Brewers in the past. It's not like he's an all or nothing guy either. We're talking about a guy who as recently as 2011 put up .303/.360/.550 with 31 HR and 95 RBI. Yet Melvin is looking at trades for guys like Ike Davis?? One time in particular, I remember Morse taking Axford deep to RF to tie a game late after fouling off a bunch of pitches. Axford just couldn't get it past him and before you knew it, boom, tie game.

If we give up anything of value for Ike Davis, I will be severely disappointed. I'd rather have Hart for one or 2 years. Morse would be fine, but doesn't he have an injury issue?
"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

What am I missing about Ike Davis? He's 26, raked in the minors, has a career .768 OPS, including a 32 home run season in 2012. I know he had a rough one last year, but isn't he a potential buy low candidate?

Based on qoutes today it sure seems like Hart is Priority #1 at this point. If DM does not get Hart to come back then he is going to be in desperation mode. I just hope that he is not desperate enough to call the Mets. I don't want our season to hinge on Ike Davis who even at this best probably can't hold Hart's jock strap.

I don't know who the Brewers go to if Hart doesn't work out; it probably has to be a trade. I just really hope it isn' t Ike Davis or Juan Francisco. If I want mediocrity I would rather just go with Morris; we already have him and he is cheap.

Hell I would rather move Aram to 1st and find a decent 3rd basemen than have to settle for some bum at 1st.

Adam McCalvy of MLB.com reports that the Brewers met with the Mets on Monday to discuss the team's available first basemen.

Ike Davis and Lucas Duda are both on the trade block for New York, with the former the heavy favorite to be moved. The Brewers are on the market for a first baseman, so it could just be a matter of due diligence. The club is also interested in bringing back Corey Hart.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter

Starting to feel like Davis may be the most likely of Hart, Morrison & Davis. I would have bet money on Hart or Morrison but based on the latest "rumors" it appears Hart wants to test the market and the Brewers interest may not be there for Morrison.

I guess Davis wouldn't be the worst option but he is definitely a boom or bust type of acquisition.

According to the latest rumors the Brewers have high interest in Corey Hart. They are making him a priority.

I think that was soooo this morning. Haven't heard anything about him being a priority since before lunch. #HotStoveDrama

Not just “at Night” anymore.

Newsday's Marc Carig hears that the Mets are more likely to deal Ike Davis than they are Daniel Murphy.

He points out that it's possible both will be traded, but Davis is more likely of the two to wind up elsewhere. The Brewers appear to have the most interest in trading for Davis at the moment. Murphy is drawing interest from the Orioles.

Source: Marc Carig on Twitter

According to the latest rumors the Brewers have high interest in Corey Hart. They are making him a priority.

I think that was soooo this morning. Haven't heard anything about him being a priority since before lunch. #HotStoveDrama

I know, but it sounds like the Brewers are desperately trying to find the right deal with Corey Hart. These other guys are back-up options. We will see if they can agree on a deal or if Hart just has a much better offer on the table from another team.

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

"Adam Rubin of ESPN New York (Twitter link) continues to hear that the Brewers' preference is to re-sign Corey Hart, assuming the money doesn't rise out of their price range. In that case, the Mets would have to look elsewhere for an Ike Davis trade partner."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/milwaukee_brewers/index.html

Robin Yount - “But what I'd really like to tell you is I never dreamed of being in the Hall of Fame. Standing here with all these great players was beyond any of my dreams.”

What am I missing about Ike Davis? He's 26, raked in the minors, has a career .768 OPS, including a 32 home run season in 2012. I know he had a rough one last year, but isn't he a potential buy low candidate?

The biggest problem with Davis is he's absolutely atrocious vs lefties. Check out his line vs lefties over his MLB career so far.

.204 BA

.268 OBP

.334 SLG

.602 OPS

You would have to be crazy to not platoon Davis if he's on your team and that would make me be unwilling to give up all that much for him. His problem vs lefties is the biggest reason why i don't want him on the Brewers because Roenicke has stated not being a big fan of platoons in general and there likely wouldn't be an obvious righthanded platoon mate on the roster to push Roenicke to never start Davis with a lefty on the mound.

Man I really hope Hart comes back. Why tender a contract to Francisco if you might make a deal to bring in Ike Davis? Seems like the same player to me.

That is a valid point, there is really no reason to have both on the team, they really need a platoon (Halton?) with either of them as well.

I know, but it sounds like the Brewers are desperately trying to find the right deal with Corey Hart. These other guys are back-up options. We will see if they can agree on a deal or if Hart just has a much better offer on the table from another team.

I don't think those other guys are as much back-up options as they are leverage. I think Hart's going to get a one year deal for around $8 million with a hefty vesting option for the 2nd based on plate appearances. Overall his cost is going to come in around 2/$20 million. I really think that's affordable in this day and age especially with both Ramirez and Weeks off the books for 2015.

The biggest problem with Davis is he's absolutely atrocious vs lefties. Check out his line vs lefties over his MLB career so far.

.204 BA

.268 OBP

.334 SLG

.602 OPS

You would have to be crazy to not platoon Davis if he's on your team and that would make me be unwilling to give up all that much for him. His problem vs lefties is the biggest reason why i don't want him on the Brewers because Roenicke has stated not being a big fan of platoons in general and there likely wouldn't be an obvious righthanded platoon mate on the roster to push Roenicke to never start Davis with a lefty on the mound.

I think a case could be made for Sean Halton. His splits didn't show it in 2013 but in 2012, he posted a .941 OPS vs. lefties in AAA. There's also a rumor floating that the Brewers are interested in Brett Pill, but he's hit RHP a lot better than LHP.

There's also a rumor floating that the Brewers are interested in Brett Pill, but he's hit RHP a lot better than LHP.

Yeah his splits the last couple of years in the majors and minors are kind of weird and seem to indicate he would not be a good platoon guy.

Archived