Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8

Under Reynolds' current sample size, what problem at 1b? 5-17 1 2b 1HR 3rbi..heck even a SB .898OPS....

I honestly think Reynolds is in the best situation right now for him to succeed. He's batting what? 7th? He's not in the 4th/5th/6th spots in the order where the pressure is on him to produce. I can imagine right now, if you took the OPS of the 30 ML teams #7 in the order and posted it and then showed what Reynolds what he's averaged for his career, it's far better. So go out there and play.

Do we forget that we have a studly 1 through 5 for a lineup? a #6 in Davis who's promising? And then here's Reynolds batting 7th. Yeah, he may be below your typical expected 1b numbers, but how does he fit your typical #7 in the order numbers? I bet he's better. and I'll take it for this season. And he just may thrive on where he sits in the order.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I sure hope Morris can catch fire for a month. Or Overbay. Or Doug slyly gets Ike. But Ike started well - so his trade value rises. Given that Morris is 26 now, if I recall, he needs to do it NOW! Not even last half of 2014... but NOW. And given he will at best make the majors at 26, he is likely only a platoon half for a couple of years (the magic 26 - 28 years). But, man oh man, AVERAGE at 500k a year would be wonderful, ala Scooter, for 2 or 3 years.

Morris will be 25 all baseball season. I still have faith in him and am much higher on him than most and just think he needs a little more time in AAA. It would be great if he could replace Overbay at some point during the year.

Signs are Reynolds may be up to everyday duty at 1B. We know the power's there and he's hitting with men on. You worry that a guy like Reynolds who strikes out so much will be very streaky and his bad stretches will be really bad. But so far, he's getting his hits even though he is striking out like he always has. I have a hard time thinking they can't do better than Overbay as an occasional replacement and lefty bat off the bench though. Can Morris be that guy come say June? That's tough for a rookie but it might be his only route to the big leagues.

I kind stepped in it this winter suggesting Velez, who had played everywhere but 1B, had a bench shot and then he proceeds not to hit a lick in Arizona. So what does he do in Nashville? Start 9 for 17 with 2 HR in the first week. Maybe he should start some games at 1B down there and get acclimated.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

At this point, the Brewers have $3.5 million committed to 1B for 2014. They won't just throw that out the doror yet. They'll see how the season goes for a 4-6 more weeks before considering making any changes.

If Reynolds is on pace to hit 30 HR and .230, he's an adequate player for 1B. There's no need for Morales or anyone else.

The same is true if the team stinks. There's no need to add big ticket player (except a younger player who could help us in the future) if we aren't in the playoff hunt.

However, if the team is doing decent, and we're getting a sub .700 OPS come mid/late May from 1B, the team could look for a replacement. Morales could fit the bill. But if he's still on the market in mid-May, there's little reason not to wait a few more weeks until after the draft.

Oh lord...

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/writer/jon-heyman/24520144/market-warming-for-morales-orioles-brewers-mariners-make-sense

Please just trade for Ike rather than making this move.

I didn't bother reading the article, because if you go to Morales's BB-Ref.com page, you find the following -

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Is not Morales a DH only. I heard his D at first is awful. And Doug said how upset he was with the bad D. And that is why Overbay made the team over JuanFran.

That all said, I sure hope Boras has lost Mark A's phone number.

No way. Speculation based on the writer's assumption the Brewers need to make a move for 1b. And I'm sure there's a Brewers Scout there watching him but weren't we also watching Freddy Garcia when he began pitching again, who just so happens to be the one pitching to Morales/Drew in this showcase? And they should have a scout there if Reynolds tanks and Morales is available come June 7th so to sign him. But to sign Morales any time before June 7th would madden me beyond belief. It makes zero sense to pick up a poor defensive 1b who can slash .280/.333/.480/.813 with an equal amount of 27HRs as Reynolds costing the draft pick because you can't wait and stomach the .233/.329/.465/.794 line he gives you for 2more months batting 7th in your lineup.

Let's go ahead and project that out for you in terms of numbers

.233 vs .280 in 200PAs( the time til June 7th)

Morales: 56Hits 10BBs again the power is equal so that is all that matter hits and BBs

Reynolds:46hits 19BBs

That's it, we would be sacrificing the 12th pick in the draft to gain 10hits while giving up 9BBs. Explain to me how any single human being could justify doing that? This isn't like Morales gets signed and is inserted atop the order or batting cleanup, he would bat 6th or 7th as Reynolds does now.

Now, signing Morales over Overbay playing every day at 1b, there's some potential Wins gained there. But Morales over Reynolds? Now vs. June, It would more than likely mean less than 1 win difference. And that can be in either's favor not just in Morales' favor.

To pass up potentially drafting a Luis Ortiz/Nick Gordon or any number other of highly regarded draft prospects for 10hits? I'll quit being a fan of Brewers baseball at the stupidity of the organization if it happens.

Edit: I'm realizing right now my numbers are slightly flawed for hits. Morales would have 53hits and Reynolds 42hits but it's only 1hit difference so the rant stays about the same.

Unless Ramirez goes down, necessitating a move to third by Reynolds, I don't see Morales happening. Now it's entirely plausible that after the draft they could do something with an eye on 2015, but as long as Reynolds is producing that's a long shot as well.

Morales isn't even that great is he?? Factor in the loss of draft pick and 1,000x NO to this move. Maybe you consider it after June if Reynolds falls on his face and the price is right, but stay away Doug (you too MARK).
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Morales is a huge upgrade offensively over Overbay. I would think the Brewers could have interest after the draft definitely. This could be all about dealing Ramirez at the deadline. Melvin could be fielding a lot of phone calls on Aram and might even figure the package in return would be worth more than the draft pick for Morales. But he can't deal Aram if they are contending without replacing his bat. Reynolds would then move to third.

Reynolds to 3B on a contending team?

Ummmm, no thanks.

If we are in the thick of a playoff hunt, ARam won't be going anyplace if he is healthy.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Trading Ramirez and signing Morales while contending does not make any sense. It would be a downgrade offensively and defensively and I think some are really over estimating what a half season of Aram would bring back in a trade.

Yes...however, if someone like the Royals, who are in all in mode, were willing to say part with Moustakas, I think the Brewers would genuinely have to entertain that option, despite where they are in contention, given the lack of a long term option at 3B.

Is Ramirez-Moustakas trade likely or reasonable? No. But the point is the Brewers should be planning beyond 2014 and Ramirez at 3B.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
One player that might be available in a trade that could help us (now and in the future) would be John Mayberry, Jr. He's in his first arby year this season ($1.59Mil), so we would have two more years of control, and at 30 he's still in his prime years. Lose Overbay and gain him, and we would have another option for first if Reynolds should slump, plus he would give us five outfielders, also. This spring, in 45 AB's, his OPS was .849. I'm not sure what we would have to give up to get him, but the Phillies have got to be looking to get younger anywhere they can.

Just would like to point out Jose Abreu's fast start 4 HR's in his last 3 games. Really wonder how hard the Brewers were contemplating bringing him or not, as they were "rumored" to have interest.

I think I saw something the other day saying the brewers were one of like 5 teams that made an offer over 60mil for him.

What about Michael Cuddyer of the Rockies? He should be playing 1b and not the OF. In the last year of his contract with the Rockies making $10.5M this season. I think it'd be safe to say he would hit at least .275/.350/.450 after coming off a .331/.389/.530 with a wRC+ of 140 season with the Rockies last year and a hot start this season. What do you think the Crew would have to give up for him?

Gomez / Segura / Braun / Ramirez / Cuddyer / Lucroy / Davis / Scooter is a pretty deep lineup although very right handed

What about Michael Cuddyer of the Rockies? He should be playing 1b and not the OF. In the last year of his contract with the Rockies making $10.5M this season. I think it'd be safe to say he would hit at least .275/.350/.450 after coming off a .331/.389/.530 with a wRC+ of 140 season with the Rockies last year and a hot start this season. What do you think the Crew would have to give up for him?

Gomez / Segura / Braun / Ramirez / Cuddyer / Lucroy / Davis / Scooter is a pretty deep lineup although very right handed

Cuddyer in Coors park add like 70pts to his BA. And Colorado won't trade him if they are in the playoff hunt. You never know with that offensive punch they have of Cargonzo/Tulo/Rosario/Cuddyer. Arenado is coming along. Their pitching still is terrible but not as terrible as last year.

Cuddyer in Coors park add like 70pts to his BA. And Colorado won't trade him if they are in the playoff hunt. You never know with that offensive punch they have of Cargonzo/Tulo/Rosario/Cuddyer. Arenado is coming along. Their pitching still is terrible but not as terrible as last year.

Home/Road AVG

2012: .268/.250

2013: .356/.311

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

2015 Free Agents (1B)

Yuniesky Betancourt (33)

Billy Butler (29) - $12.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Michael Cuddyer (36)

Corey Hart (33)

Adam LaRoche (35) - $15MM mutual option with a $2MM buyout

Adam Lind (31) - $7.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout

Mike Morse (33)

Carlos Pena (37)

Ty Wigginton (37)

Kevin Youkilis (36)

If we assume that the guys with options do not hit the market, are any of these options very appealing? Cuddyer is good but is entering his late-30s, it remains to be seen how much of a disaster post-knee-surgery Hart will be, and Morse was atrocious last season.

Considering the fact that Hunter Morris stinks, we are still going to have a big hole at 1B going into next season as well. Singing Morales on a super cheap, team-friendly deal this season (preferably post-draft) could solve things going forward too. If he signs in June for a cheap 2-3 year deal, I think that would be a brilliant move by Melvin.

If Reynolds is on pace to hit 30 HR and .230, he's an adequate player for 1B. There's no need for Morales or anyone else.

Exactly, so far so good.

He's slumped badly in the past week...lets wait and see. Morales is looking better by the day though that could change overnight.

Archived