Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ok then how about Chris Parmelee?... I see the Twins placed him on waivers... He's only 23 years old.

Take a flier on the kid that is 14 years younger then Overbay.

Parmelee is 26. Born February of 1988.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/p/parmech01.shtml

Haha I can't subtract... Thanks

But nevermind... Parmelee was optioned to AAA.

Parmalee was actually outrighted to AAA.

I've watched him long enough up here in Twins Territory to know that I don't want to see the Brewers try to convince themselves that he'd be worth acquiring.

Just saw a report the Mets still want to trade Ike Davis... I know people on here don't want him but anything is better then Overbay.

Reynolds/Davis platoon would be very nice!

Part of the problem is Ike Davis himself. Another part of the problem is the Mets want way too much for him. It says a lot that he hasn't been traded yet even though the Mets have made it clear they're more than willing to trade him.

If the Brewers want Ike Davis, they will probably be able to pick him up on the cheap after he's non-tendered in the off season. He's lost the first base job to Duda, who promptly went out and hit two bombs last night.

...and I just watched Davis hit a walk off pinch hit grand slam. My posting reverse mojo strikes again.

I wonder if we are doing well on June 1st if we make a play for Morales. We have a black hole at 1st base in the minors so if we gave him 4 years it wouldn't be blocking anyone

I wouldn't be surprised if Jason Rogers is the starting 1B come next season.

So, what's the over/under on how long it takes the Brewers to just go with Reynolds and stop using Overbay as part of a "platoon?" I think Reynolds is clearly the better player, but I think it'll be the end of this month before the Brewers name him the everyday guy.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

re our 1st base black hole in the minors... were not two of our last three 'minors players of the year' first baseman. And the third player of the year is a part time first baseman. That then means our minors is really bad... if our best are black holes! Ouch.

I sure hope Morris can catch fire for a month. Or Overbay. Or Doug slyly gets Ike. But Ike started well - so his trade value rises. Given that Morris is 26 now, if I recall, he needs to do it NOW! Not even last half of 2014... but NOW. And given he will at best make the majors at 26, he is likely only a platoon half for a couple of years (the magic 26 - 28 years). But, man oh man, AVERAGE at 500k a year would be wonderful, ala Scooter, for 2 or 3 years.

I wonder if we are doing well on June 1st if we make a play for Morales. We have a black hole at 1st base in the minors so if we gave him 4 years it wouldn't be blocking anyone

So if Morales is signed after the draft, you don't owe a pick at all? (Not even a 2015 pick?)

Also, why isn't this being made a larger issue? In short a 30 year old player is being semi forced out of the game (albeit temporarily) but nonetheless all becuase no one wants to give up a pick? That seems like a problem to me. If a player who is listed as a Type A (or whatever it is called today) isn't signed by opening day, that piece about giving up your pick should just go away. I really don't get why MLBPA isn't semi up in arms about this and MLB allowing him to sit unsigned. If I were him, I would not be very happy with my union nor MLB.

So if Morales is signed after the draft, you don't owe a pick at all? (Not even a 2015 pick?)

Also, why isn't this being made a larger issue? In short a 30 year old player is being semi forced out of the game (albeit temporarily) but nonetheless all becuase no one wants to give up a pick? That seems like a problem to me. If a player who is listed as a Type A (or whatever it is called today) isn't signed by opening day, that piece about giving up your pick should just go away. I really don't get why MLBPA isn't semi up in arms about this and MLB allowing him to sit unsigned. If I were him, I would not be very happy with my union nor MLB.

It is being made to be a big deal. It's been discussed many times on this board. MLBTradeRumors had a post about it it seemed like every other day. There's just nothing that can be done about it until the end of the current CBA.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I have not watched much baseball this year (spring training or regular season), but what is the feeling about Overbay for those who have seen him?

I can look at his stats and see some concerns, but the sample size is so small. I hate to say the guy is washed up based upon a few weeks.

Again, for those who have watched Lyle, how's he looking at the plate? Is he looking slow? Or he hitting the ball hard and just running into some tough luck?

Overbay had a .586 OPS after the all-star break last year. At 37, you just have to wonder what he has left.

Thanks.

Thanks WV and Jericho - I agree, that he could have accepted a 1 year deal and didn't. I can't disagree with not taking the qualifying though. Most players will fall back on that if they can't get a better deal when they are not a type A. I have seen this topic discussed on this site, i guess I just don't see much discussion about it on the larger networks. But I could have just missed it.

Thanks for the info. So how about the question about what if Morales is signed after the draft? Do you then owe a 2015 pick? or none at all?

There's just nothing that can be done about it until the end of the current CBA.

They can renegotiate, and it's a big enough issue that they probably will. It will just "cost" the union something big in order to get the language changed.

So how about the question about what if Morales is signed after the draft? Do you then owe a 2015 pick? or none at all?

I believe that after a certain date (some time in June), the draft pick compensation goes away, at least for the team signing the player. Not sure if the team that lost him still gets their comp pick.

Or Doug slyly gets Ike.

I think the Mets really want to get rid of him, and have "named" Duda their starter. Duda and Davis have both started out okay, and I'm sure the NY media is going to have a field day blasting the Mets every time the guy who is starting goes 0-for-4. It's a headache they'll want to get rid of soon. I would be surprised if he isn't traded shortly, and the Brewers have to be one of the top names on the list. Melvin probably has a standing offer to the Mets for someone like Hellweg, and he's waiting to see if the Mets will bite.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Melvin probably has a standing offer to the Mets for someone like Hellweg, and he's waiting to see if the Mets will bite.

And if I am Alderson and the Mets front office, I would be ecstatic to get that return on Davis. A guy who can throw 100, even if wild, is a project I would love to take on as a pitching coach. Moreover, ending the nightmare tht is the Duda/Ike/Satin situation in NY and get at least a live arm is better than trading him for nothing or simply DFAing him.

Archived