Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who besides Ike Davis might be available via trade?

It's in the answers to questions like that where Melvin has shown he's sometimes quite good at pulling a rabbit out of his hat.

This year, we'd know a live bunny rabbit would have a decent chance of out-hitting last year's fill-in 1B's.

It's in the answers to questions like that where Melvin has shown he's sometimes quite good at pulling a rabbit out of his hat.

This year, we'd know a live bunny rabbit would have a decent chance of out-hitting last year's fill-in 1B's.

I don't believe Ike Davis did last year though. I'm pretty sure a platoon of Francisco and Halton could do better than .205/.326/.334. Listening to the Mets telecast team in the last series of the year, they were pretty down on Davis and with numbers like that, it's easy to understand why.

I don't believe Ike Davis did last year though. I'm pretty sure a platoon of Francisco and Halton could do better than .205/.326/.334. Listening to the Mets telecast team in the last series of the year, they were pretty down on Davis and with numbers like that, it's easy to understand why.

The telecast teams thought Yuni was a good defender. I don't care what the telecast teams for any team think.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I haven't seen it mentioned but MLBTR had a post stating the Mets and Brewers discussed a trade of Ike Davis.

Same time the article stated the Brewers at this moment in the offseason aren't talking about trades and first are on FAs.

But, I have a big doubt Hart is returning to Milwaukee next season. It's fools gold to think he will sign for that home town discount when I can see the Brewers pulling a 5mil with 7mil in incentives deal and other teams going 3/39 for him. He will take that 3/39 Guaranteed long before signing the 5 guaranteed with incentives. So we are without a known 1b aside from Francisco/Halton.

I think the calls of Braun moving to 1b is the answer and honestly, a way to get back in fan graces is to graciously accept moving to 1b to better the team allowing Khris Davis to play OF and have his bat in the lineup....Or to keep Aoki's bat in the lineup. From a perspective of how the lineup will look then 2014 and beyond you have Braun at 1b next season and as the 4th/5th OF behind Gomez,Davis,Aoki and then Schafer if Gomez were to sit out. Francisco to me is just a bench bat/1b in that case that Braun is needed back in the OF due to injury. and Hunter Morris is Option C hopefully as a September callup or 1b Backup when an OF goes on DL for awhile with Francisco.

2015 Aoki is gone, Braun moves there and then the hopes are the rise of Morris has occured.

Gennett/Segura are a secure 2b/SS and still in belief the Brewers will exercise ARam's option to play in 2015 to play 3b(unless some stoic rise from Delmonico in the minors to show readiness by 2015)

Really from a position stand point the Brewers have a good outlook. Morris/Delmonico are the wild cards with Taylor/Roache being the future beyond Gomez and Davis/Braun.

Is it out of the question to envision 1b being Braun's next season when Hart isn't resigned and the team's demands for Aoki aren't met?

I see it as the best way to go currently depth-wise.

2015 Aoki is gone, Braun moves there and then the hopes are the rise of Morris has occurred...Is it out of the question to envision 1b being Braun's next season when Hart isn't resigned and the team's demands for Aoki aren't met?

I like your idea of moving Braun to 1B. However, I seriously doubt if he is moved to 1B for 2014 and in 2015 the Brewers will shift him back to the OF. If Braun is moved to 1B, he will be a 1B for the remainder of his career, save for some spot starts in the OF.

One guy who has always intrigued me is Logan Morrison of the Marlins. I would love for the Brewers to look into his availability given he is becoming expensive for the way the Marlins operate, hits left handed and is entering what should be his prime. I wouldn't give up much for him but I think he would be a solid addition for the 1B competition.

Yonder Alonso's name seems to come up annually in this situation. Give it a couple weeks. :)

No need to give it a couple weeks, you just brought him into it with your post.

:tongue

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I'm not too big on Ike Davis but he is only 26 years old.... if he's going to have a prime the next 3 years are big for him..... he draws walks but he was pretty awful both at the plate and in the field last year..... I don't doubt that he'd hit more HR's at Miller Park than Citi Field. The big thing with Ike Davis is he absolutely needs to be platooned, he has hit .204 with a .268 OBP vs LHP in 400 MLB at-bats

I'm not at all convinced that Ike Davis will be better than Hunter Morris in 2014

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Player #1: 240 ABs .221/.300/.433, 13 HR, 32 RBI

Player #2: 317 ABs .205/.326/.334, 9 HR, 33 RBI

Player #1 is Juan Francisco

Player #2 is Ike Davis

Why trade for Ike Davis when "Ike Davis" is already on the roster?

I'll take Francisco/Halton platoon over Davis any day and throw a third line into the mix:

Player #3: 391 ABs .212/.240/.355, 13 HR, 46 RBI

Ok, ok, the .240 OBP gave him away, but point is Davis isn't an upgrade over what they put out there last year.

Player #1: 240 ABs .221/.300/.433, 13 HR, 32 RBI

Player #2: 317 ABs .205/.326/.334, 9 HR, 33 RBI

Player #1 is Juan Francisco

Player #2 is Ike Davis

Why trade for Ike Davis when "Ike Davis" is already on the roster?

The reasoning would be because of Davis's .797 OPS for 2010-2012 playing in an extreme pitchers' park. Contrasted with Francisco's 2013 OPS, which was right in line with the rest of his career.

Not saying I believe or don't believe that Davis will bounce back from '13, but that's the reasoning.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'd be excited to get Ike Davis, as long as we didn't have to give up too much for him. I think a platoon w/ him vs. RHP and Jason Rogers or Sean Halton vs. LHP's could work.

I'd agree with this, Davis had a rough year last year but the two years before that he was pretty solid, would be a great buy low candidate in my opinion.

What would the Brewers have to give to get Mitch Moreland, Texas is open to trading him apparently.

Texas has been in a trade search for cost controlled SP. So, pretty much no one on the team. Gallardo may be the only one I could see bringing over Moreland. But that's a lost #2 we need to even compete moreso than replacing 1b to compete for 2014. And Moreland isn't worth Gallardo, Texas would have to throw in a top 5 Prospect in their system before I'd consider pulling the trigger.

Honestly, if Texas would take Lohse for Moreland, imo that's is approximate equal value. Because in the AL, I fully expect Lohse to have a 4+ERA making him a #4 in value. Oh no we lose are best Pitcher...But we gain 11mil in payroll this season and next. Something that taking a flier on a different FA pitcher may work. Scott Feldman or Scott Kazmir.

Plan on Gallardo being your #1/Peralta 2, Estrada/that FA signing mixing 3/4 and then mix of Thornburg/Nelson #5.

I'd really enjoy having a Lefty Starter for 1 but a Younger Pitcher in Kazmir...(Say we go 2/22mil on him at age30/31) Maybe he performs enough to deserve a QO when he departs. Or to say the least his age and potential is likely worth more in Trade than Lohse. Meanwhile we fill 1b for 2014/2015 with Moreland at least hoping he's keeping it warm for a resurgent Morris.

Mitch Moreland is not worth a Gallardo or Lohse, which is what it would likely take. He is entering his age 28 season with a career .758 OPS, playing in a band box even. Career 100 OPS+ says it all. I'd be hesitant to give up Thornburg for him, honestly. His most similar player on Baseball-Reference is Ike Davis. See the Ike Davis comments in this thread for perspective on that value!
The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Jeff Baker would be a guy I'd look at, depending on cost. Career .298 BA/.875 OPS vs LHP. In 2013 he hit .314 with a 1.073 OPS vs LHP. A player you can platoon with Morris. He can even play some 2B/3B if needed.

Here's a good article explaining the value of Baker http://www.camdenchat.com/2013/10/21/4856006/orioles-free-agent-offseason-jeff-baker

Justin Morneau?

I know his best days are behind him but he still looks like he could very useful to the Brewers as an alternative to Hart. Who would everyone bank on having a better year in 2014; Hart or Morneau?

I would think the prices would be pretty similar too although Morneau has been healthier than Hart the last 2 seasons

Justin Morneau?

I know his best days are behind him but he still looks like he could very useful to the Brewers as an alternative to Hart. Who would everyone bank on having a better year in 2014; Hart or Morneau?

I would think the prices would be pretty similar too although Morneau has been healthier than Hart the last 2 seasons

That would be a tough bet but not a slam dunk either way. I like Morneau's game a lot better. More walks, better defense. Morneau is a risk though as he appears to be in a decline phase of his career, with just a 103 OPS+ last year. He may just need a platoon partner though. Last year he had a .819 OPS vs RHP and a .525 vs LHP! Career .292 BA/.893 OPS vs RHP and .250 BA/.708 OPS vs LHP....

I don't know how much I'd want to spend on a guy who can only hit RHP at a .800 OPS clip without a ton of power. His name recognition will drive his price up.

I'd rather sign Jeff Baker and platoon him with Hunter Morris.

(edited for spellin')

Archived