Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8
  • Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Encarnacion had posted lines of .276/.359/.473 at 23, .289/.356/.438 at 24, and .251/.340/.466 at 25. So I hardly think they compare other than defensively. Plus Francisco strikes out about twice as often. Last year Encarnacion walked 20 more times than he fanned. I don't see "Fancisco" ever coming close to that.

Would you give Hiram Burgos for Ike Davis? The mets want a young pitcher and I agree that thornberg is a big NO and I'd assume Fiers have been offered already. Burgos might be a decent return for the mets.

Burgos has a great shot at a bullpen spot. He was lights out in Puerto Rico this winter. He may well be a guy like Estrada that flies under the radar. Melvin's already made it clear he would not trade pitching for hitting, at least not now. Burgos adds to depth.

personally I would. I can't see Burgos ever becoming more than a 4/5 tops[/quote

Tough to say what his ceiling is until we see him healthy. He was sore most of his time in Milwaukee last season, but 4/5 guys that are cheap are nice to have instead of paying $6 million plus for a journeyman.

Would you give Hiram Burgos for Ike Davis? The mets want a young pitcher and I agree that thornberg is a big NO and I'd assume Fiers have been offered already. Burgos might be a decent return for the mets.

I'd go with an emphatic Yes! I don't see Burgos at all as being a SP 4/5 as I do Thornburg. What Burgos is, is a long relief guy. 1-3ip BP guy. And while yes, Melvin said he doesn't want to deal his pitching, I would believe that to be more in line with SP not his RPs. Between Smith,Thornburg,Nelson I don't see a rotation spot for Burgos any way you line it up. It would take multiple injuries like last season to open it up for him. I have doubts the Mets are looking at Burgos though even as a blip on their radar for Davis.

In a heartbeat...I would be willing to package up two arms, say Burgos & Pena/Blazek if that is what it took.

I think the real question would be would you deal Johnny Hellweg for Ike Davis? I think I would but it would take a little more thought.

Hellweg and Burgos are expendable to me. Burgos has a mid-rotation ceiling that I doubt he even hits and Hellweg, while he can throw gas and has a good ground ball pitch, has had terrible numbers in the minors when projecting to the majors. I get the whole thing of finally trying to stockpile young arms, but I'm not too attached to either of those guys.

Sounds more and more likely that Ike stays in NY...

Scared to say, looks like we're gonna see Francisco making 1B again this year... I'm disappointed to say the least!!!

Or Seattle dumps one of their now crowded 1b near the end of ST and we lay claim... I mean I believe Carp was a Waiver guy that Boston wound up paying for to make a trade via the waivers. There's bound to be someone like that...How about Chris Carter? I don't think Houston will keep him through this season once the decision to go with Johnathon Singleton is made but, I see him being a decent chance of picking up on waivers. It can be a sad Platoon of Francisco/Carter at 1b but one that you bat 8th and get 40HRs from?

Maybe Morrison is waived by Seattle if Hart shows a decent bat/field in ST. It sucks yes to have 1b be questionable but at the same time I foresee a number of options appearing come end of ST to pick up and plug in. Last season I think Hart's, "I'm going to be back by end of May" statement led to Melvin unwilling to commit to a true 1b add-on. And then May happened and the season was over so yeah 1b never really had to be filled.

I'd still have taken a harder look at Morneau and signed him personally. That's really the move that only I seen happened that didn't happen for us here. I get not signing Hart, we have his medical history followed him for the past year and there could be a big red flag on the longevity of his knees holding up vs. the cost to keep him.

Still cross fingers that Morris comes to life and provides something unexpected at the 1b position right now. Figuring at least way better defensively than Francisco at a bat that OPS's in the range Francisco is expected.

From MLB Trade Rumors

Mark Reynolds is unlikely to return to the Yankees, Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News tweets, citing a source who says the Yanks have only offered the infielder a minor-league deal. "He won't take that," Feinsand says.

Reynolds, 30, clubbed six homers for the Yankees in 36 games after they brought him on in August, compiling a .236/.300/.455 line in New York overall. While that OBP is a step down from Reynolds' .329 career average, it's generally a vintage Reynolds line: big power and a low batting average fueled by one of the game's highest strikeout rates.

I don't know if this was talked about on previous pages. But Mark is a real, proven MLB player. Should he come into the fold, say at the expense of Halton. He seems like a guy who could, playing a full year, be a guaranteed 25+ home runs.

Even if "Fan" cisco starts the year at 1b, he's not going to last there if he doesn't produce. Alex Gonzalez lasted about a month last year before being benched and ultimately released. They'll look at Halton, Morris, and maybe even Green or they could do a deal then. It's a great opportunity for Halton and Morris. One of those two could have a great spring and win the job. The names that have been brought up, Davis, Carp, etc are all still out there if trade is deemed necessary too.

Mark Reynolds would be a complete and total waste of any dollar we put into him.

I do not want a guy like this anywhere near this roster when we have guys at our disposal that are still a mystery.

Reynolds is a band-aid type of player that isn't even good enough to cover a would, much less heal it.

I'd pass HARD on Reynolds.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News reports that the Yankees will not re-sign Mark Reynolds.

There had been interest in a reunion, but Feinsand says the Yanks are only willing to offer Reynolds a minor league contract. The 30-year-old is coming off a season where he batted just .220/.306/.393, but he'll be able to get a major league deal from someone. The Twins, Brewers, Angels and Rays, among others, showed interest in Reynolds earlier this offseason.

Source: Mark Feinsand on Twitter

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Question about Morris: If he started the year with the major league team, wouldn't he likely lose a year of team control, so wouldn't it be smarter to wait like 2-4 weeks before bringing him up even if he kills in ST

This from Nick Cafardo:

"Free agent Lyle Overbay is an option for both the Astros and Brewers at first base. Milwaukee is also still considering signing Michael Young for first, or trading for Mitch Moreland of the Rangers."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2014/01/cafardo-on-red-sox-arroyo-drew-manny.html

While I wouldn't be a huge fan of Overbay, I wouldn't mind making a move for Moreland, depending on cost of course

Question about Morris: If he started the year with the major league team, wouldn't he likely lose a year of team control, so wouldn't it be smarter to wait like 2-4 weeks before bringing him up even if he kills in ST

Morris is already 25 so in reality it doesn't really matter. There is just no reason to give 1B to Morris based on a few dozen spring training PAs. Spring training should really be incidental to the decision.

Morris is already 25 so in reality it doesn't really matter. There is just no reason to give 1B to Morris based on a few dozen spring training PAs. Spring training should really be incidental to the decision.

If he is going up against Halton and Francisco, I would tell them all they were even and let them battle it out but thats me personally, I don't think either Halton or Francisco are good enough to just be handed the starting first basemen job

If 1B becomes a matter of throwing in-house options at the wall to see what sticks, then there's no harm in Morris being named the starter. If he plays well, he keeps the spot and it's a win-win deal. If he doesn't play well enough, there certainly are other options.

Re: team control, it's not whether or not he starts the year on the 25-man roster, but if he spends the whole year on the roster. The Brewers would only lose a year of team control if he spends time in the minors but <3 consecutive weeks at any point this year. If that were the case, he'd be eligible for FA after 2019. Otherwise he won't be FA-eligible until after 2020 at the earliest.

But if he (or anyone w/o previous MLB service time) spends little enough time in the minors, he likely becomes a Super Two in a few years and thus would be arby-eligible after 2016 at the soonest rather than after 2017 or later (depending on minor league roster time in subsequent seasons).

The Brewers have the rights to Morris for 6 years service time. If he starts the year and sticks it's year 1. In your scenario if we wait a little bit depending on the date he's called up it's 6years but Super 2 status could be attached to him meaning he gets an added year of arbitration, still the Brewers have him for 6years.

They could wait til say end of June/ beginning of July to play him so that his service clock doesn't start fast enough to count the remainder of this year as year 1 meaning then they have control of him for 6more years beyond 2014.

But the way I look at it, his age and the fact he didn't get the call up last Sept, are you really concerned about holding him down to remain controlled of Morris in 2021? vs. a FA that year? Because if that's your concern then clearly he's your best option for 1b today if he needs to be held on to for 7 more years.

There shouldn't be a thought process to attempt to save Morris for age 32 after the Green/Gamel declines. What could be a useful season from Morris this year but instead wasted in the minors could turn out that next year the Gamel injuries take place with Morris and now you don't even get 1year from Morris.

I understand holding back a kid for Team control reasons up to age 22/ maybe 23. But by age 24, if he's your best option to play at the ML level he needs to be played regardless of how it's sorted out in Team Control cost/Arb status.

The Brewers have the rights to Morris for 6 years service time. If he starts the year and sticks it's year 1. In your scenario if we wait a little bit depending on the date he's called up it's 6years but Super 2 status could be attached to him meaning he gets an added year of arbitration, still the Brewers have him for 6years.

They could wait til say end of June/ beginning of July to play him so that his service clock doesn't start fast enough to count the remainder of this year as year 1 meaning then they have control of him for 6more years beyond 2014.

But the way I look at it, his age and the fact he didn't get the call up last Sept, are you really concerned about holding him down to remain controlled of Morris in 2021? vs. a FA that year? Because if that's your concern then clearly he's your best option for 1b today if he needs to be held on to for 7 more years.

There shouldn't be a thought process to attempt to save Morris for age 32 after the Green/Gamel declines. What could be a useful season from Morris this year but instead wasted in the minors could turn out that next year the Gamel injuries take place with Morris and now you don't even get 1year from Morris.

I understand holding back a kid for Team control reasons up to age 22/ maybe 23. But by age 24, if he's your best option to play at the ML level he needs to be played regardless of how it's sorted out in Team Control cost/Arb status.

In my opinion, it depends on what the length of time you would have to keep him in the minors would be, if its only a week or two, then the brewers should try and gain that extra year of service time, if its 2 months or so than I have no problem with them bringing him up to play. Thats why I asked the question

Archived