Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8

Latest on Morales:

According to Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio, the Royals could be in the mix for free agent Kendrys Morales.

Duquette also mentions that signing Morales could give them the flexibility needed to deal Billy Butler for pitching help. The market has been very slow to develop for the 30-year-old slugger, impacted by the fact that he's tied to draft pick compensation, and that he's a butcher in the field and best served as a designated hitter.

Related: Royals, Billy Butler

Source: Jim Duquette on Twitter

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Latest on Morales:

According to Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio, the Royals could be in the mix for free agent Kendrys Morales.

Duquette also mentions that signing Morales could give them the flexibility needed to deal Billy Butler for pitching help. The market has been very slow to develop for the 30-year-old slugger, impacted by the fact that he's tied to draft pick compensation, and that he's a butcher in the field and best served as a designated hitter.

I would do Thornburg for Butler.

I would have to think long and hard about that... We have guys in the minors who can man 1B at some point, but what do we have for pitching? I think Thornburg could be a key player down the road, either as a starter (my preference) or a reliever.

I'm not sure I would deal him for Butler, but that is a tempting idea to think about for sure.

Latest on Morales:

Butler would make our lineup very RHed... But I would gladly take a Braun/Ramirez/Butler 3-4-5.

I would imagine it's gonna take a bunch to acquire Billy tho.

Will Smith for Billy Butler! Make it happen Doug!

(You have to wonder if Smith wasn't a Ned guy. If you're not a Ned guy you are gone no matter your talent. See Adams, Mike).

Butler and Davis should have very similar values. Butler is likely the better player sure, but he also is going to make like $8-10 million more over the next two years.

Will Smith for Billy Butler! Make it happen Doug!

(You have to wonder if Smith wasn't a Ned guy. If you're not a Ned guy you are gone no matter your talent. See Adams, Mike).

Butler and Davis should have very similar values. Butler is likely the better player sure, but he also is going to make like $8-10 million more over the next two years.

No way is their value even close. Butler has put up an OPS+ no lower than 116 in each of the past 5 seasons (116, 138, 125, 134, 125) with 158 games being the least he's played in that span. Davis has never played 158 games in a season, his high is 156 followed by 147 and outside of his 157 OPS+ he hasn't reached 116 in a season (115, 111, and 89). Butler is only 1 year older than Davis so their ages are basically the same. Team control is where they differ. Butler is signed through this year and then has a team option for 2015 while Davis is controlled through 2016. Even taking that into consideration Butler is still vastly more valuable than Davis. I wouldn't trade Thornburg for Davis and the Royals wouldn't trade Butler for just Thornburg.

Nick Cafardo throws out Mike Carp's name today.

4. Mike Carp, 1B/LF, Red Sox — The Brewers need a low-cost first baseman and Carp appears to be a good fit. Whether the Red Sox would deal him remains to be seen as they enjoyed his off-the-bench contributions last season. Carp deserves a chance to play every day and won’t get that opportunity with the Red Sox unless there’s an injury to Mike Napoli. The teams made a deal in December when the Sox received reliever Burke Badenhop for a minor league prospect.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2014/01/05/toronto-blue-jays-have-been-quiet-offseason-despite-need-for-reinforcements/98HLraXbL7FR7d8yyMD7AP/story.html

I still don't get why we didn't go after Carp last offseason when the Mariners were dealing him, especially since it was after all of our first base injuries.

Because we had Yuni and Gonzalez to play 1B.....hello?

I know it has been mentioned that Boston may be looking for a back-up centerfielder to pair with Jackie Bradley. Would Carp for Schafer be fair?

Would love if the deal could be expanded to include Middlebrooks if Drew were to re-signed with the Sox.

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets are no longer actively shopping first baseman Ike Davis.

Rubin notes that they could always reengage in trade talks before the season begins, they currently expect Davis to be with the club when spring training opens in Port St. Lucie in February. The 26-year-old slugger has maintained that his preference is to remain with the Mets.

Source: ESPN New York

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets are no longer actively shopping first baseman Ike Davis.

Rubin notes that they could always reengage in trade talks before the season begins, they currently expect Davis to be with the club when spring training opens in Port St. Lucie in February. The 26-year-old slugger has maintained that his preference is to remain with the Mets.

Source: ESPN New York

Translation: no club was willing to overpay for Davis, & the Mets will now quietly continue to shop him, but with a lower asking price.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I know it has been mentioned that Boston may be looking for a back-up centerfielder to pair with Jackie Bradley. Would Carp for Schafer be fair?

Would love if the deal could be expanded to include Middlebrooks if Drew were to re-signed with the Sox.

It's also been reported that Nyjer Morgan is looking to get back to MLB. Schafer's replacement??

Carp for Schafer seems like a reasonable deal.

Every time I see Thornburg linked to Ike Davis, my heart sinks a little bit more. I truly hope that Melvin is serious when he says he won't trade Thornburg for Davis, but I don't believe him. The longer this rumor goes on, the more I think the trade is going to happen.

:ohwell :indifferent :( :angry

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com that he has had "ongoing discussions" with Mets general manager Sandy Alderson about a trade for a first baseman.

While Melvin didn't mention the player by name, the Brewers have been linked to Ike Davis as far back as before the Winter Meetings. However, Melvin said neither side has found a deal they are comfortable with. The Mets are asking for right-hander Tyler Thornburg in return while the Brewers would prefer to deal a position player.

Source: MLBlogs.com

@Turbo:

Honestly, I think if Thornburg were going to be dealt for Davis then it would have happened already. As much as I will be disgusted by the prospect of Juan Francisco (who is rapidly ascending the Yuni Ladder) playing significant time at 1B in 2014, the Brewers need to hold on to their young pitching as much as possible.

If I am Melvin, I should be willing to part with Hellweg, Pena, Burgos, Blazek, etc... or even some combo of those guys to get Davis but not Thornburg or Nelson.

EDIT: I know it seems like I am talking out of both sides of my mouth by saying the Brewers should hold young pitching, but then advocate dealing Hellweg, Pena, etc... for Davis. The point is I think Davis is a 50-50 bet to productive at the Major League level, much like Hellweg, Pena, and those guys, whereas I feel Thornburg and Nelson have greater chances to be solid contributors than 50-50. The risks should be equal on both sides and Davis for Hellweg & Blazek seems more equitable than Davis for Thornburg.

I just am not as high on Thornburg. When I watch him pitch, I see too many similarities to post-elbow-injury Dave Bush.

That said, I still wouldn't want to see him dealt for Ike Davis.

The same Dave Bush that had trouble reaching 87 on the radar gun? Sorry I don't see the similarity.

The Mets are asking for right-hander Tyler Thornburg in return while the Brewers would prefer to deal a position player.

I bet they would, as they really have no notable position prospects. I just wonder if this means they're offering Hunter Morris for Davis.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

This has probably been discussed on this thread but is there anyway Morris could get the 1b job this year or is that totally out of the question?

I really don't want to give up much to fill this position...... I say keep holding out for a low asking price for Davis or come up with a lesser option with a lower price tag.

I prefer we do not get a one year fill in. A few have been talked about. We should try to catch lightning (cheaply) with Ike. Or we simply use Francisco/ Halton

It is strange hearing we have no first basemen when we actually have three currently - Morris and Halton and Rogers. Four if you count Jan Fran

We all know the free agent pickings are slim, but why not try Nelson Cruz as a 1B on a one-year deal? Despite his many flaws and right-handed bat, he'd at least add another Corey Hart type of bat for less than Corey got in Seattle. He might not be bad to have around as an occasional corner OF too. I could easily see him getting 400 AB's. Yes, I know it's a stretch, but as a fan, and with cabin fever setting in, I'd like to see something done to give me hope at the position before spring training.

Just an out of the box thought. Sounds pretty desperate doesn't it?

This has probably been discussed on this thread but is there anyway Morris could get the 1b job this year or is that totally out of the question?

My guess is they want him playing more in AAA, since he didn't have a good year last year. I got skeptical when he didn't get much of a shot in Spring Training last year, and they went with every option (and many non-options) at first base without ever seeming to consider bringing Morris to the MLB team. I highly doubt he'll start the season in Milwaukee, and while I doubt they expect it, I think that management really hopes he plays well, so they will be able to call him up during the season. So yes, he could get the 1B job, but not until mid-season and only if he's tearing up AAA and the MLB 1B are playing as bad as most expect them to.

Christ... Just get us someone other then Francisco at 1B this year!!!

Right now we don't really have a good option, but we also don't have the capital (money or trade bait) to get a good option. I won't re-open the argument I've made for a few seasons but to say that the Brewers lie in the nest they made, and we are going to have to suffer through having some holes for a while. This year, we don't spend money and we see what we have in some young players. Next year we will (potentially) have a lot of money coming off the books, we will potentially have traded for some more young players, and we will know what we have in players like Davis, Gennett, Thornburg, etc, so we will be in a better position to start adding to the mix. I call this a "backdoor rebuild," as management is putting on the airs of competing, but they're really looking to get younger and cheaper without losing too many tickets sold. But whatever you want to call it, I wouldn't look for any big moves.

Davis makes sense if he doesn't cost much in terms of prospects because he's low risk/high potential reward and has a few years of team control. I think they've soured on Morris (if they ever really thought highly of him), and I could see them trading him for Davis if the Mets would bite. It fits the m.o. of getting "proven" guys and only costs a guy the Brewers probably don't think is an MLB player.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived