Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8

When I first saw this I had a negative reaction, but investigating it further Young might actually be a solid signing.

Why are people getting all up in arms against Michael Young? The guy averages at least a hit per game played, WOULD likely take a huge pay cut at 37, and could probably fill in some injury-plagued year at another position; kind of an insurance policy.

I for one, would be WAY more willing to have a clubhouse guy like Young over trading even a mediocre prospect for Ike Davis.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers are left with mediocre to bad options. There was no foresight in regard to Corey Hart, no plan B whatsoever.

This statement is dangerously close to being the same as last year.

:(

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

The main question this off-season shouldn't be "Who should the Brewers sign for first base?" It should be "How can the Brewers re-stock their horrid farm system?" I'm not sure Attanasio will ever care to ask that question.

I agree. The White Sox had an arguably worse system than the Brewers and over the last 6-months they have added young talent through trades and international signings including: Avisail Garcia, Leury Garcia, Jose Abreu, Adam Eaton, and Matt Davidson. All of a sudden they have some good young pieces they will control for the next 5-6 years.

Not just “at Night” anymore.

When I first saw this I had a negative reaction, but investigating it further Young might actually be a solid signing.

Why are people getting all up in arms against Michael Young? The guy averages at least a hit per game played, WOULD likely take a huge pay cut at 37, and could probably fill in some injury-plagued year at another position; kind of an insurance policy.

I for one, would be WAY more willing to have a clubhouse guy like Young over trading even a mediocre prospect for Ike Davis.

Ditto! Plus Young has become someone who's played all over the infield including 111 games at 1B (36, 40, & 22 starts over the past 3 years) -- which is 111 more games than JF21 when the Brewers got him from ATL & planned to play him primarily at 1B. Even though errors may not be the vogue stat for fielding quality, it does say something that Young has only 5 career errors at 1B (111 games) vs. 10 for JF21 in 67 games . . . and all-position career totals of about 1 error every 7 games for JF vs. about 1 error every 12 games for Young.

He's old, worse than in-house options and more expensive. Michael Young also can't play any position effectively anymore. PADMY is baseball inside joke for a reason.

Count me out on Young. The easiest place to find offense, why sign a guy who won't even hit double digit dingers or OPS over .730? They have to be able to do better than that. If that's all you want out of your 1B, let Morris/Francisco and Halton do it, they can't be worse.

Eric Chavez makes a lot more sense to me. Chavez and Young are the same guy (though Chavez has been more productive recently) but one bats right and the other bats left. The Brewers need lefty bats more. Who would you rather see taken out of the 1B platoon, Francisco or Halton?

On the other hand for those who insist Gennett needs to be platooned, Young is better option than Weeks.

Chavez re-signed with the Diamondbacks.

Sorry, missed that. Failed to check the transactions last night and this morning. Unfortunate.

I can live with Young but only if he plays regularly (at least 5 games per week) instead of Francisco, and not in a strict platoon with him. Young is probably still capable of putting up Loney-type numbers, and if he does, he's a guy that can be easily moved to a contender if they fall out of contention.

Juan Francisco starting at 1st in 2014 doesn't actually bug me for some reason.

(Ducks)

Maybe you stopped watching Brewer games after August 16th last year? He hit his last HR on that date, and then proceeded to end the year 8 for 63 (.127) with 30 Ks. His defense was awful too.

Michael Young is the kind of guy who will get you 2-3 more wins than a Morris/Halton platoon. Unfortunately, all that will do is move our 2015 draft pick back a few spots. I just can't get excited over this, especially if he's given anything more than a one year contract.

I'm hoping this Young noise is just something DM put out there to psych out the Mets in Davis negotiations. Davis is the one guy under serious discussion who has upside. He could flame out completely, but there's at least a chance he'll get back on track.

How you feel about this situation depends a lot on what you think the Brewers are trying to do. If you think the Brewers have a chance to contend, then this is a bad spot to be in. If not -- and I'm on the "not" side -- then passing on Hart and Loney was smart, passing on Young would be equally smart, and starting out with what we already have is a reasonable baseline. It's 1b. We're psyched out from last year, but 1b tends to work out because anybody who can play the field can play 1b. Halton/Francisco looks pretty bad, but you can reasonably start with them and then see whether Morris or Rogers shows the goods at AAA or whether an upgrade becomes available later.

BTW, just to be clear, I hate Francisco as anything other than a platoon DH on a second-division team. I'm not advocating him as all or part of a solution; I'm just saying I could live with breaking camp with him in a 1b platoon because most of the other options seem worse to me.

Michael Young is the kind of guy who will get you 2-3 more wins than a Morris/Halton platoon. Unfortunately, all that will do is move our 2015 draft pick back a few spots. I just can't get excited over this, especially if he's given anything more than a one year contract.

You're really overrating Michael Young at this point. He's at best on par with a Morris/Halton platoon but likely worse.

Devil's advocate: could a Young signing also serve as protection if ARam gets hurt / traded? Francisco does not have a comfort level switching between 1b and 3b, based on his comments last season.

The question for me is always how much he signs for.

I doubt Young signs with a team that plans on him being part of a platoon or a bench player.

Someone will sign him as a starter, I just hope it is not the Brewers.

I think if the Brewers are serious about trading Weeks, signing Michael Young could end up being a 1B/2B platooner. I mean, he can play all of the IF spots. I dont think he'd be a terrible signing, could still get 100+ games playing as backup for 1B, 2B and 3B.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I think if the Brewers are serious about trading Weeks, signing Michael Young could end up being a 1B/2B platooner. I mean, he can play all of the IF spots. I dont think he'd be a terrible signing, could still get 100+ games playing as backup for 1B, 2B and 3B.

I guess my thought on this is I think that you can take your pick of Bianchi/Green/Prince etc...and save the money for a different time and date. As it stands now, the 2014 Brewers, are a mid-high 80s win team with all the breaks and mid 70s win team without them, which means they likely are a high 70s to low 80s win team in 2014.

Young isn't the difference between the Brewers being contenders. Save the $5 million and put it under the mattress.

I doubt Young signs with a team that plans on him being part of a platoon or a bench player.

Someone will sign him as a starter, I just hope it is not the Brewers.

Not that i want Young signed, but he's 37 and coming off back to back seasons showing decline. If he gets stubborn and demands to be an everyday player with any team interested in signing him, well he could then find himself out of a job entirely. There are a limited number of everyday jobs still available around the league and a 37 year old player with eroding skills can quickly find himself with few options if his demands are larger than his playing abilities.

So what? MLB has proven over the years that common sense doesn't often prevail when it comes to players, what they want, and what teams are willing to do for these grizzled vets...

He will exhaust every option he can explore to catch on as a starter, then if it gets hopeless, he would have to consider a role player type deal... I'm saying that his first choice would be to sign as a starter someplace, and I think someone will allow him that chance.

If Young has a decent first half, teams will come calling for his services down the stretch. He's kind of that extra bat that teams look for to replace a struggling young player or fill in for an injured player. It could also turn out he brings a veteran presence such as Scott Rolen did in Cincinnati that helps this group gel into something more than people expect. The worst thing is for them to decide they now have a pure platoon at 1B.

I would expect Halton to play everyday in a corner OF spot in Nashville if Young is signed and be the first call up if either Davis or Braun goes on the shelf. Then if the time comes and Young is dealt to a contender, Halton will slide into his spot. If Morris gets off to a hot start, then they should just jettison Francisco.

Young would be essentially taking Betancourt's spot. If the Brewers can get 800 AB's from Ramirez and Young combined, that's a significant upgrade over the totals of Betancourt, Alex Gonzalez, Ramirez, and what Francisco gave them at 3B before he was moved over. Toss in 250-300 more this year than last for Braun, and there's certainly hope for this team.

Another name to throw out there, though no rumors of any Brewer interest, is Wilson Betemit. Betemit is a switch hitter, and has career numbers of .267/.332/.442. He's played 80 games at 1B in his career. Missed most of last year with injury. He's much better hitter from the left side: .279/.347/.472.

Just turned 32 and should come fairly cheap.

Is Reynolds still out there? I know the defense might not be great and I'm not in love with any of these players, but sign Reynolds and/or Betemit.

Between Betemit, Francisco, Reynolds, and Aramis you have plenty of guys that can play 3B (not that well) when Aramis inevitably gets hurt.

I'm looking for cheap platoon options. I think Halton and Morris are going to platoon at .740 or so which I'm fine with as somebody that doesn't have Attanasio's arm on my shoulder asking me to win games in 2014. I think if Doug really wants to pay and compete, I'd take those guys and they could maybe platoon for .800 or better and provide 3B depth.

I'd also call San Diego about Kyle Blanks to see if they've given up on him being healthy. Maybe he won't stay healthy for the Brewers either but I'd take the chance for a cheap asking price.

Archived