Brewer Fanatic

First Base 2014

yoshii8

From the article on JS Online...

Melvin referred to the New York Mets first baseman who has been on the trading block this winter. The Brewers talked at least twice with the Mets at the winter meetings about Davis but word was New York wanted a young pitching prospect such as Tyler Thornburg. The Brewers aren't of the mind to give up a young pitcher with that kind of potential for Davis, an all-or-nothing offensive performer who mostly did nothing in 2013.

The Mets apparently have not come down on their asking price or a deal could have been done by now. I asked Melvin about Texas' Mitch Moreland, who won't be playing any first base with Prince Fielder now on hand, and he said, "The last conversation we had with them, they weren't moving him. And if they did you'd have to match up with a trade.

Yea Doug definitely isn't gonna do anything.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At this point, I think it's best to just sit tight and see which player takes the 1b role out of Francisco,Halton,Morris, and Rogers. Let ST go on and let the Battle commence!

Meanwhile, while other teams make their final roster moves(including waiving guys) if any particular waived player may be a better 1b option than what we have we pick them up essentially free of cost. Mike Carp could have been that guy last season before Boston got him. Travis Ishikawa was available off waivers.

For all we know the Mets just may cut bait on Davis altogether. They have to choose between Duda/Davis are selling Davis as hard as possible because guess what? Davis is due 3.5mil this year. Stand pat and let the Mets take 1 of our nobody minors guy or they waive him and we end up with him anyhow.

But the worst thing to do would be to give up Thornburg for him. There is no doubt in my mind there will be at least 5 capable 1b waived in Spring Training from other teams who have a better 1b option and need the roster space for another player/position.

I'd still honestly do my best to overpay for Matt Adams from St. Louis. That should be Milwaukee's target. Yeah it's inter-division but so what? you have a dire need for a 1b find a way to get him.

I'd still honestly do my best to overpay for Matt Adams from St. Louis.

Overpaying for a first baseman would be about the dumbest thing we could do at this point.

He has 5 years of team control a 900OPS in the minors guy. Looks like a solid 25HR or more guy. We have an issue for a 1b and Adams would solve it a whole lot longer than any other person available out there....Barring of course this:

Kendrys Morales is being pursued by National League teams as well as American League teams, agent Scott Boras tells Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports (Twitter links). Boras describes Morales as a "first baseman who can DH" but Morosi thinks that the draft pick compensation issue will hurt his value.

Yeah you want to lose your draft pick? May as well sign him to a 5year deal equaling Adams for team control. Knowing that we are searching for a 1b like the Pirates, you are lead to wonder that if they claim NL teams are interested it pretty much is like claiming Milwaukee is interested as Pittsburgh isn't going to be one to afford Morales.

Back to Adams, at this point considering how phenomally built St. Louis' roster is now and long term, I can't picture what they can possible take from Milwaukee to help them?

Isn't Adams their starting 1B?

Craig is, pending Tavares taking over RF.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/team/depth_chart/index.jsp?c_id=stl

Taveras is going to start in Triple AAA is what I have been hearing/reading because of the injury he suffered last year. I would also think the Cardinals would try to move Holliday to open up a spot for Taveras before they move Craig given Holliday's age and contract.

The man leading the Brewers, last September, could not figure out that playing Yuni at first instead of one of our three AA/AAA FIRST basemen was unwise

I hate Ron as much as the next guy buy Yuni's playing time was cut in Sept. Yuni started 10 games and got 52 PA, Halton started 11 games got 52 PA.

Ron's job over the last couple months was more to maintain a good atmosphere in the clubhouse so that the team would at least put forth a solid effort game after game. He saw to it that every guy on the roster was seeing action, even those who knew they wouldn't be around next season. I thought in that regard he did an outstanding job and the team responded by playing quite well. The last thing he needed with all those rookies around was to have a few veterans sulking about playing time in the waning weeks of a losing season setting bad examples.

He has 5 years of team control a 900OPS in the minors guy. Looks like a solid 25HR or more guy. We have an issue for a 1b and Adams would solve it a whole lot longer than any other person available out there....Barring of course this:

Let me be clear. I have no problem trying to trade for him. I have a major problem overpaying to get him.

What would the Cardinals even want? Their young pitching is already better than ours; they have no use for our best trading asset. Maybe you start talking about guys like Roache, Coulter, Taylor, and Haniger but I wouldn't be all that interested in trading Roache or Taylor.

Isn't Adams their starting 1B?

I think it's Holiday,Bourjos, and Jay currently keeping the OF warm until Tavaras is ready.

Craig doesn't read all that well defensively in the OF. He wasn't brought up through the minors as an OF either. Basically he was put in the OF so his bat could get in the lineup. What does StL. do when Tavaras is ready? They'd still have Adams or Craig to put in the lineup with only 1 spot to do so.

I guess sure the Cards could just keep the duo as backups to one another/OF if/when Bourjos/Holiday miss games due to injury.

When I first saw this I had a negative reaction, but investigating it further Young might actually be a solid signing. He was horrible in 2012 but rebounded somewhat last year with a .320 wOBA, which is better than the projections for many of the options we've been discussing. More importantly, in his career he actually hits LHP better than RHP so he would be good in a platoon.

The real liability his is defense, which has been horrendous at 3B, but maybe he wouldn't be so bad at 1B.

OPS vs. LHP the past three years ~.900, ~.790, ~.730. He's trending the wrong way and at 37, I wouldn't bet on him turning it around. Plus, how much would it take to sign him, I imagine a couple of million at least. I would much rather just let Halton play 1B vs. LHP for the minimum.

Plenty of reasons to be leery of Michael Young, but I still like what he might bring by quite a lot over the Ike Davis/Mitch Moreland crowd. Part of it's that it wouldn't tempt the FO with the possibility of a long-term commitment. And if it bumps JF21 further to the back of the picture, so much the better!

The Brewers are left with mediocre to bad options. There was no foresight in regard to Corey Hart, no plan B whatsoever. Under Attanasio, they have proven time and time again that they have no ability to think long-term. That this is even is problem underlies a much bigger issue. Hart and Ramirez should have been traded a couple years ago. Lohse should never have been signed. Gomez should be traded right now.

The main question this off-season shouldn't be "Who should the Brewers sign for first base?" It should be "How can the Brewers re-stock their horrid farm system?" I'm not sure Attanasio will ever care to ask that question.

Archived