Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim Utility Man Elian Herrera; Two years later: non-tendered

PrinceEatMeat
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm finding my thought processes re: the bench much like SoupTown's two posts above. Nothing is necessarily permanent. Keeping the no-options-left guys on the bench creates depth at low costs -- both with with them at the MLB level (to begin with) and the guys with options who could take their place if they stink and are eventually outrighted or released.

There's a part of me still a little chafed that neither Clark or Rogers are coming north. The everyday PT angle makes sense to begin with. I'd be very surprised if we don't see one or both up in MIL over this season.

Once Herrera came up and proved he could hit in limited playing time, I started liking him. Going into 2015, his bat off the bench as a "known" carries more clout with me than Jimenez or H. Gomez do at this point. While I hope they prove competent, they might stink. Those two could be could just as easily become the next McGehee or Podsednik as they could become the next Brad Nelson or Chris Duffy. If it's the latter, assuming Herrera loses out to Schafer, at least Herrera's only a phone call away.

Keeping Schafer is showing a decent amount of faith on the Brewers' part. But his bat has come around late in spring training, and he's previously shown he could (emphasis on the hypothetical element within "could") be a better 4th OF than 5th OF once Parra's presumably gone after 2015. If he ends up totally stinking off the bench yet again, then he's made himself quite replaceable and there are other options waiting in AAA who also had a respectable showing in spring training.

• 8 months later...
herrera was non-tendered by the brewers today. he is now a free agent.

Smart move by the Brewers as he's not young and they have traded for utility players who they think they can develop. But as a fan I will really miss him. He's the kind of player I find easy to root for. Enthusiastic, very good defense, hustles, etc and I tend to root for the guys who had a struggle making it. I hope he lands with a team that is a good fit for him and has a great 2016 season.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

herrera was non-tendered by the brewers today. he is now a free agent.

Smart move by the Brewers as he's not young and they have traded for utility players who they think they can develop. But as a fan I will really miss him. He's the kind of player I find easy to root for. Enthusiastic, very good defense, hustles, etc and I tend to root for the guys who had a struggle making it. I hope he lands with a team that is a good fit for him and has a great 2016 season.

I am with you on rooting for him as well as the reasons why. I don't think this means his days here are over though. I think it is just a way to get some short term flexibility on the 40 man roster. If he gets a deal somewhere else all the more power to him. If he doesn't I'd bet he signs a minor league deal here with an invite to spring training. At least here he has a manager who likes him and his shot at making the team is as good as he can hope for anywhere.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Acquisition of Villar made Herrera redundant. Herrera's a handy guy that will probably end up on a roster somewhere next year. My guess is he looks at the organization that not only has Villar, but Rivera, Gennett, Segura, Arcia and Perez, and he will look elsewhere even he can't get a major league deal though I wouldn't rule that out.

Acquisition of Villar made Herrera redundant. Herrera's a handy guy that will probably end up on a roster somewhere next year. My guess is he looks at the organization that not only has Villar, but Rivera, Gennett, Segura, Arcia and Perez, and he will look elsewhere even he can't get a major league deal though I wouldn't rule that out.

I agree that looking at the roster he may not be inclined to take a minor league deal with the Brewers.

My question is, I assume there can be a "bidding war" to sign him to the minor league deal? Obviously he would take a major league deal, but if he doesn't get one - I assume the Brewers could offer him $25K more then the next team (if they wanted) to get him to take the minor league deal, right?

He has spent a fair amount of time in the big leagues each of the last two years with the Brewers after only getting a couple cups of coffee with the Dodgers previously. The manager seems to like him as well so financially it would seem to make sense to resign with the Brewers. There still are not a lot of position players on the 40 man and a couple guys like Arcia and Rivera need time in AAA. Sure they might need the space now for a rule 5 pickup or two but there is no guarantee they would make the team. Plus at least a pitcher or two out of options won't make the team. All things considered Herrera still has a good chance to make the team if he wisely resigns.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm not sure I get all the discussion about Herrera. Nor why he would sign with us again.

He was just removed from the 40-man by our new GM. That same GM just traded for guys that profile similar to him. If I were him, I would be looking for a new situation where I have the chance to make a new impression.

As for us, he is a 30 year old utility player with a lifetime OPS of 666. Beyond the amusing anti-Christ reference for that, he is a defensively flexible utility player with no upside. How does that fit with our team?

As for us, he is a 30 year old utility player with a lifetime OPS of 666. Beyond the amusing anti-Christ reference for that, he is a defensively flexible utility player with no upside. How does that fit with our team?

Pretty simple, as stated previously they have limited position players on the 40 man, some that need time in the minors still, and have to play at least 12 or 13 at the big league level, basically some guy is going to have to make the team that doesn't really have a future here.

But what is so special about Herrera that causes 4 pages of conversation here and more in other threads? Are we so desperate for news that a guy not on the 40-man and no future on the team generates this amount of discussion as a warm-body filler?

But what is so special about Herrera that causes 4 pages of conversation here and more in other threads? Are we so desperate for news that a guy not on the 40-man and no future on the team generates this amount of discussion as a warm-body filler?

It's called Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. We can't help ourselves.

This thread started in 2013...so I mean it isn't that many pages when you consider that.

He's versatile (plays all three OF positions, second, short, and third), switch-hits, and has a bit of power. He also comes pretty cheap, even for someone eligible for arbitration. Honestly, he's an asset on the bench.

Archived