Brewer Fanatic

Brewers Claim Utility Man Elian Herrera; Two years later: non-tendered

PrinceEatMeat
He wasn't moved to the outfield, he just played there occasionally. Last year in the minors it was mostly 2nd and 3rd for him. He'll be ok at 2nd or 3rd and can get you through a game at ss. With Bianchi on the bench that should cover things. If someone better can be found, great. I'd just rather see Herrera than Yuni. Since he can play the outfield as well that could give the Brewers a little flexibility if (when) then need a 13th pitcher for a while.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

with jean segura sitting out his sixth straight game, i question why the brewers optioned herrera today, instead of waiting until the sunday deadline to set a roster.

now, the earliest herrera can be recalled (without placing segura on the 15-day disabled list, possibly backdated as far as 19 march) is friday 4 april.

one can only assume that the brewers are confident that segura will rebound in time.

• 4 weeks later...
wish they brought up Velez instead, he's killing AAA and he's playing 2B and LF.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

wish they brought up Velez instead, he's killing AAA and he's playing 2B and LF.

What is paternity leave? 5 days? It isn't like whoever they called up would get a start in that stretch anyways, so the ability to bat comes in second behind defense (and defensive flexibility).

I believe it's 3 days. Daniel Murphy of the Mets took the full 3 days at the beginning of the year and the media ripped him a new one for not suiting up the day after his healthy baby was born.

I took two weeks off when my kids were born, granted I'm not a MLB player, but 3 days is really not that long considering the first 2 (and maybe 3) are spent in the hospital.

I took a week off and I wish it would have been longer. Your wife really needs you those first couple of days. I suppose most major league wives have nannies that can help too. Either way you should spend time with your wife after such a big event like a birth of a child.

velez is not on the 40-man roster and the 40-man is full. not worth removing someone else on the roster for three days' worth of a player. overbay can return to play sunday.

velez is not on the 40-man roster and the 40-man is full. not worth removing someone else on the roster for three days' worth of a player. overbay can return to play sunday.

I wasnt aware Velez wasnt on the 40 man, my mistake. oh well!

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I took a week off and I wish it would have been longer. Your wife really needs you those first couple of days. I suppose most major league wives have nannies that can help too. Either way you should spend time with your wife after such a big event like a birth of a child.

I went to work he next day. Probably a generational thing.

• 11 months later...

i really hope herrera finds his way onto the opening day roster. i really liked his bat last year and i like his defensive versatility (even ok with said defense being mediocre in the outfield provided the team has at least a two run lead with only one inning to play. it may be slim chances that the ball is even hit to him in a 9th inning stint.)

i'm thinking that the brewers may try to outright luis jimenez and purchase herrera's contract.

i really hope herrera finds his way onto the opening day roster. i really liked his bat last year and i like his defensive versatility (even ok with said defense being mediocre in the outfield provided the team has at least a two run lead with only one inning to play. it may be slim chances that the ball is even hit to him in a 9th inning stint.)

i'm thinking that the brewers may try to outright luis jimenez and purchase herrera's contract.

Herrera was the guy that spiked a throw about 15 yards in front of him last year. Even ignoring that, he didn't look halfway comfortable in the OF when he was out there to my untrained eye.

I still don't think it is likely Herrera makes the team as it is nice to have a guy like him available in AAA. However, if they really want to keep Clark I could see a scenario where they keep Herrera as the 5th outfielder and backup SS/3B and dump one of Jimenez/Gomez.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

To me, Herrera is just a guy. His best asset is his versatility - and if that's what we need, great. But he doesn't have any exceptional tools that make him really valuable (except the versatility). Right now I'm thinking Jimenez and Gomez are going to be the IF back ups. Maldonado is the C, while Parra is the backup OF. Herrera won't play at 3B or OF - Parra and Jimenez are both probably better fielders and hitters at the position than Herrera. I think Gomez offers more at the middle IF position - a little pop and a good glove. 1B will be backed up by Lucroy and Jimenez. That really doesn't leave much for Herrera other than pinch hitting. I'm thinking I go with a guy that adds something exceptional - such as Clark's power. Clark also provides some protection against Lind's balky back.

Herrera is a nice player to have at AAA. When injuries arise, he can be valuable. But right now, with the way the team is constructed, I don't see him doing much at the major league level.

i think herrera's fate is tied to chris perez's fate. jim henderson seems a likely candidate for the 60-day disabled list, which opens up one spot. i doubt that the brewers would recall johnny hellweg, pay him a major league salary, let him accrue service time and put him on the 60-day disabled list to open up a second spot.

i'm still hoping that the brewers option jimmy nelson before the start the season, have another position player take his place, and recall nelson when it's finally his turn to pitch. a #5 pitcher does not play on opening day, so why have him on the roster?

i'm thinking that the brewers really want to hang on to logan schafer as a backup outfielder for 2016 and beyond, but that they'll value herrera's bat more in 2015.

i don't see them trying to outright schafer to add herrera, though. the 60-day disabled list for jim henderson makes the most sense to open up a roster spot.

They can keep Herrera and Schafer by just releasing Hector Gomez. They already have two other SS besides Segura on the 40 man, both of whom will be at AAA. Herrera can play in a pinch but if they need one for injury replacement, just call up Sardinas.

I think Gomez (given his past high prospect status) will be, for sure, the all-rounder.

Between Schafer and Herrera is an interesting call. I really dont know which I would do. Does either have any future?

I'd prefer Herrera over Schafer, but that's not saying much.... This bench is God-awful. Not sure if Melvin is this inept at building a bench, or if he likes to use the injury excuse. This team is going to have basically two or three automatic outs per game based on Roenicke's history of 'resting' regulars. The thing that really irks me is that they will have roughly $7 million invested in the bench due to Parra's bloated salary... they could have spread that money out and picked up a few guys who may actually have a chance of getting a hit in a pinch hitter role.

I'd prefer Herrera over Schafer, but that's not saying much.... This bench is God-awful. Not sure if Melvin is this inept at building a bench, or if he likes to use the injury excuse. This team is going to have basically two or three automatic outs per game based on Roenicke's history of 'resting' regulars. The thing that really irks me is that they will have roughly $7 million invested in the bench due to Parra's bloated salary... they could have spread that money out and picked up a few guys who may actually have a chance of getting a hit in a pinch hitter role.

I absolutely agree RockCo.... it has been one of my longest standing traditional gripes about DM and how he compiles a team, at least the last several seasons. I like Parra as our fourth outfielder and appreciate the fact that he plays outstanding D without killing you offensively. I am fine with Maldy as a more than serviceable backup catcher as well. Outside of that though call me completely underwhelmed especially for an area of the team that we could be taking flyers on a lot of guys for relatively cheap.

The bench is just crying out for a slugging LH PH type. I think that if you add that into the mix, it's a solid bench. I'm confused about Clark getting optioned... he's no star-in-waiting, but as a cheap LH bat with pop off the bench I'm not sure how much better a club can realistically do. Even if his defense is awful, just... don't use him on defense aside from the very rare instance where you have no choice.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Maybe Doug will surprise us. The bench seems to be full of 'last chance' 'maybe they will find themselves' '26-28 year olds'.

Hector Gomez. He projected to be a good, every day player. And for what he did in AAA, maybe he will end up showing he should be a regular or at worst a great 24th man.

Schafer. His D is so praised. If he can actually hit now that he is in his PEAK years, he becomes a coveted 4th outfielder (after Parra goes next year)

Jimenez. Again, a good D third baseman, that hit in the minors like he SHOULD BE ok in the majors. Maybe he finds himself and he is The Scooter of the Third Base (average+ at league min in 2016+).

So if all these buds blossom, and in AAA some guys grow, you can lose Parra and Aram next year ($20 mill saved) and replace them with Jimenez and Shafer and you have a Rogers/Clark/Herrera filling the end of the bench in 2016.

Maybe at the end of 2015 we will praise the nugget finder for nuggetting the bench.

...or they will all play crap.

Archived