Brewer Fanatic

Gomez named 2013 Gold Glove Winner! -- ESPN feature piece (post #27)

jjkoestler
Milwaukee Brewers center fielder Carlos Gomez has been selected as one of three National League finalists to receive a 2013 Rawlings Gold Glove Award at his position. The winners will be announced on Tuesday at 7 pm CT on ESPN2. Gomez looks to be the first Brewer to win a Gold Glove since 1982. Gomez is joined by Andrew McCutchen (Pirates) and Denard Span (Nationals). The announcement was made this morning via Twitter (@RawlingsSports).
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

I have zero confidence that Gomez will win. WAR will have little say in the matter. The managers vote on this award and they'll likely go with Cutch.

If Gomez somehow does pull it off, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

As an aside, I am glad that MLB decided to start giving Gold Gloves for each specific outfield position (LF, CF, RF) rather than 3 generic OF winners (which almost always was 3 center fielders winning.)

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I'm actually pretty confident that Gomez will win because he has the high defensive WAR for people that care about that and he had a ton of coverage this year with his home run saving catches for the people that watch the highlight reels.

Let's hope the right thing is done and Gomez IS the Gold Glove winner at CF. I think back to 2011 and Ryan Braun's 1 error only season with MVP numbers but yet the "Defensive metrics/guy that wows you" Parra won it. If Parra can win it over Braun then Gomez who had a much, much better offensive showing on top of the defensive showing that Parra had....that just has to equal win for Carlos. I mean, what else can Carlos win on the season? It would be a shame for BRef's NL tied for 1st WAR leader in the NL to not win a single accolade for being such. I mean is there any chance Gomez even cracks the top 15 in MVP voting?

I noticed that JJ Hardy has won back-to-back gold gloves.

Impossible, he doesn't have enough range.

It's simple -- he's drastically increased his PITETZ* since 2011

* Plays In The Eastern Time Zone

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I'm glad Gomez finally hit well enough to get a gold glove. Well done!
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I am SO happy for Carlos. I've tweeted him, Haudricort, @Brewers, and just about everybody else I could find with "Brewers" somewhere in their page to cheer him on. "Go Go" is one of the players that makes this team fun to watch, no matter where we are in the standings. I love his intensity. He gives his all every time he steps on the field.

He was given a pretty good contract in the offseason. Many players would have rested on their laurels after getting paid. Not Carlos. When you consider everything, he went out there and put up one of the best seasons in Brewer history. Career highs in in AVG (.284), runs (80), hits (152), doubles (27), triples (10), home runs (24), RBI (73), stolen bases (40), OBP (.338), SLG (.506), and OPS (.843). Then to top it off, he is elected to the All Star team, and wins the first Gold Glove in Milwaukee since Robin Yount.

All that potential that we've been seeing, the flashes of brilliance, well, it all came together in 2013. I'm really looking forward to 2014, and Carlos is one of the reasons why.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

I am SO happy for Carlos. I've tweeted him, Haudricort, @Brewers, and just about everybody else I could find with "Brewers" somewhere in their page to cheer him on. "Go Go" is one of the players that makes this team fun to watch, no matter where we are in the standings. I love his intensity. He gives his all every time he steps on the field.

He was given a pretty good contract in the offseason. Many players would have rested on their laurels after getting paid. Not Carlos. When you consider everything, he went out there and put up one of the best seasons in Brewer history. Career highs in in AVG (.284), runs (80), hits (152), doubles (27), triples (10), home runs (24), RBI (73), stolen bases (40), OBP (.338), SLG (.506), and OPS (.843). Then to top it off, he is elected to the All Star team, and wins the first Gold Glove in Milwaukee since Robin Yount.

All that potential that we've been seeing, the flashes of brilliance, well, it all came together in 2013. I'm really looking forward to 2014, and Carlos is one of the reasons why.

Yes, yes and yes.

Any chance he wins the Platinum Glove or is a neck tat a prerequisite to win the award?

If you told Carlos that he might get one. ;)

More seriously, I was delighted to see him win. It's almost as if this Gold Glove award was awarded based on defense. I do hope this means Cutch has some 2013 season award coming this way.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

OK, to not be completely sarcastic...

Gomez is an unreal defender and it's great he is being recognized for it. I'm glad he's finally reaching his potential.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• 5 months later...

Archived