Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2013-14

patrickgpe
He is going to be put to the test right away with Stone. Can he convince Stone to stay in state and play with his former team mate at Dominican. If he can pull that one off I think Marquette is in pretty good hands. Even if he can't get Stone I don't think I would hold it against him. I still think it is going to be harder to recruit top talent in the new Big East. There just aren't a lot of marquee matchups/trips and teams recruits would love to play against

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Be tough to judge him solely on one recruit. Especially one that is being recruited by virtually every team in the country. But I think the MU program is in a pretty fragile status right now, so I really think he's going to have to nail some solid recruits that can actually perform early or it's going to be a rough few years I think.

its going to be hard for MU to compete with the big 10 and ACC conference schools. I think the big east has definitely taken a back seat. If Stone picks MU over UW, I think that is huge. It is just 1 recruit, but considering UW's run last season and the fact that the big 10 is atleast the 2nd best conference in the country.

I think Stone is probably more likely to go to Marquette then he is UW. But he is even more likely to end up at Kentucky, Duke, UNC, etc. I am putting about a 20% chance he stays in state for college. I would love it if he did; no matter if he picked Marquette or UW. Ellenson is probably far more likely to end up staying in state than Stone one would think.

everything that i read on his is that his shooting is his weakness. I do like the pickup since Derrick Wilson didn't show me much as a full time starter but I hope adding a 1 and done player doesn't hamper duane wilson's growth.

I don't like the signing. A one-and-done guard doesn't help build this team. Why take minutes away from Duane Wilson, Dawson, Cohen, Johnson? This is the year those guys should get a ton of minutes. Along with Mayo, they now have 6 guys guards that should get playing time, and a 7th in Derek Wilson that shouldn't, but will. That means a couple of these guys won't get any minutes. MU shouldn't be signing anyone for the 2014 class that is under 6' 8".

Marquette gets a nice pick up for 2014 in Carlino; formerly of BYU. He should step in right away and be a go to shooter. Marquette needs big guys a lot more than a G; but he is a quality player that should help

Carlino shot 39% from the field, 34% from 3 and only 69% from the line. That is not a go to shooter. He has a nice 2:1 assist to turnover ratio so he should help Marquette but he isnt a great shooter. He is better than Derrick Wilson though. I am surprised Marquette went out to get a guard with Jujuan Johnson, Duane Wilson and John Dawson looking to get minutes. It seems like Mayo and Carlino will take a ton of minutes. Early on they will have to play with three guards so one of those three could start but I am guessing they want Burton at the SF, Taylor at PF, and Fischer at C once Fischer is eligible

Marquette usually plays with three guards, as do most college teams. And next year due to having so few big men on the roster they will always have three guards on the floor. Especially the first half of the season when Fischer isn't eligible - Taylor will be the tallest guy on the roster; Taylor will be the starting "center" with Burton the PF and Anderson the backup F. During the second half of the season the forward rotation will be two of Fischer/Taylor/Burton/Anderson with Burton/Johnson/Mayo/Cohen at the 3, Mayo/Johnson/Carlino at the 2, and the Wilsons/Carlino at the 1. I think Burton will see a significant amount of time at the 4, leaving plenty of minutes for everyone at the three guard slots. Cohen is a nice get, but I have low expectations of how much a true freshman can contribute. There are also rumblings that one of the young guards needs to do some work to be academically eligible next year.

Right now it is so late in the recruiting process that you are weighing signing a less talented player versus holding the scholarship for a year and perhaps getting a better player next year. I believe Marquette still has two open scholarships after adding Carlino, so right now they are just filling spots. Hopefully one of those two goes to Legend Robertin, and they find another graduating junior who is at least 6'7".

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Harrison twins returning to UK. Already talk of going undefeated.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I don't like the signing. A one-and-done guard doesn't help build this team. Why take minutes away from Duane Wilson, Dawson, Cohen, Johnson? This is the year those guys should get a ton of minutes. Along with Mayo, they now have 6 guys guards that should get playing time, and a 7th in Derek Wilson that shouldn't, but will. That means a couple of these guys won't get any minutes. MU shouldn't be signing anyone for the 2014 class that is under 6' 8".

The issue is that they only had 10 players under scholarship, they needed to sign someone. I agree though that they would be better off getting a SF, PF, or C if they would wanted to do the 1 and done route.

Sadly even if this guy isn't a great shooter; he is probably still better than some of the guards for Marquette going into next year. He is going to be a contributor and get a lot of minutes; that's the only reason he would have come to Marq; Wojo hed to have told him as much

He is going to be a contributor and get a lot of minutes; that's the only reason he would have come to Marq; Wojo hed to have told him as much

Yea, problem is he probably told the same thing to all the other guards to get them to stay. Just not enough minutes for 7 guards, even if they play with a 3 guard line-up 100% of the time.

I do not like the makeup of the roster in the current form. I hope there is a juco transfer or something to come. they have 1 center and PF and 2 small forwards. How are they are going to get through the big east with no interior players to defend.

I do not mind the transfer of Carlino, but they better get a big or 2 that is eligible for next season.

interesting news today with the announcement of an annual challenge of big east and big 10 teams. There was speculation that the annual UW- MU game would be part of this. I really hope that is not the case. It would be great for Marquette to get to play a B16 team each season in addition to their annual game with UW.

• 2 weeks later...

So there are stories out there that Diamond Stone from Dominican and Malik Newman from Mississippi are going to be a package deal. They apparently become good friends through the AAU circuit. If that is the case the Wisconsin schools can probably forget about it. What are the odds Stone and Newman, rated #1 and #3 in the class respectively, are going to commit to a place like UW or Marquette? Seems slim to none if you ask me. This has all the making of Duke, Kansas, or Kentucky.

Kinda sucks though; would have loved to see Marquette or UW keep a talent like Stone in the state. He is probably a 1 and done anyways I suppose.

• 1 month later...

Henry Ellenson's big brother just transferred to Marquette from Minnesota. That would seem to significantly increase Marquette's chances of landing the much more talented Henry for their 2015 class. I am a UW fan first but I will never complain if Marquette manages to keep the WI talent in state. Diamond Stone looks more and more like he is going to one of the blue bloods for a one and done season.

I don't think this helps Marquette much this year and Wally Ellenson isn't much a player but I can certainly see why Wojo brought him in. He was going to do anything he could to help his chances at Henry.

From what I read online yesterday Wally left the basketball program to focus on track at Minnesota. Really didn't put up much in the line of stats in his first 2 seasons as a gopher. I can only think this was done to help recruit Henry to Milwaukee.

• 1 month later...

Henry Ellenson has narrowed his choices to Marquette, Michigan State, and Kentucky. Please Henry go to Marquette; it would drive me nuts having to watch him play against UW in the B10 or with Calipari.

It is looking like UW will be missing out on both Ellenson and Stone since it seems near impossible that Stone would go to UW. I am sure UW will be fine, they always are, but it kinda sucks when the best Wisconsin players always leave the state.

Henry Ellenson has narrowed his choices to Marquette, Michigan State, and Kentucky. Please Henry go to Marquette; it would drive me nuts having to watch him play against UW in the B10 or with Calipari.

It is looking like UW will be missing out on both Ellenson and Stone since it seems near impossible that Stone would go to UW. I am sure UW will be fine, they always are, but it kinda sucks when the best Wisconsin players always leave the state.

I dont think Stone to UW is likely but they seem like they are in the top 3 with UConn and Kentucky. Right now the recruiting site 247sports have their predictions up and UW is right there with those two. UConn seems like the leader and Kentucky who was once thought to be the leader is losing momentum.

It is hard to imagine Ellenson not going to Marquette with them being in his top 3 and them giving his brother a scholarship

It is hard to imagine Ellenson not going to Marquette with them being in his top 3 and them giving his brother a scholarship

I hope he does, but its hard to think he will pass up playing for cal or izzo to play for wojo in the big east.

According to the 247 2015 class rankings, MU is 14th, getting Ellenson would give MU a top 5 class I am sure

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Stone's top five (in no order)

Duke

Wisconsin

Maryland

Oklahoma St

UConn

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I hope he does, but its hard to think he will pass up playing for cal or izzo to play for wojo in the big east.

According to the 247 2015 class rankings, MU is 14th, getting Ellenson would give MU a top 5 class I am sure

http://247sports.com/Season/2015-Basketball/CompositeTeamRankings

Very early in the recruiting cycle. Wisconsin has 1 four star signed and they're 41st. They sign one three star and they're up in the low 20's.

If Wojo gets both Heldt and Ellenson, unless I am forgetting someone, Wojo will have signed as many 6'10'' or taller HS seniors in one class as Buzz and Crean did in the past 10 years combined (O'Tule and Mbao, who was with the team for one season and barely played). Their lack of ability to recruit quality big men always drove me nuts. It's a nice change already.

Diamond Stone does have UW in his Top 5 along with Duke, Maryland, Oklahoma State, and UConn.

Maryland is kind of a head scratcher and Oklahoma St is only a decent program. It probably comes down to Duke, UW, and UConn. Wisconsin's odds probably are not very good but at least they have a shot.

Archived