Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2013-14

patrickgpe
  • Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Don't forget about the Super Bowl. Amazing game by the Badgers over coming the home crowd and some questionable calls. Gasser proves once again what a great defensive player he is. Sean Miller is a classy classy coach.

I am so happy for Bo Ryan. It's nice and likely fitting that they clinched this Final Four berth on what would have been his dad's 90th birthday. On Wisconsin. :)

His interview after the game nearly made me tear up. You could tell it was extremely emotional for him. I've always liked Bo. Seems like an absolutely great and genuine guy. I only caught the last 2.3 seconds of OT, but once the Arizona guy started going left, I knew he wasn't going to get the shot off. I wish there was I way I could get up to Dallas Saturday night and back to San Antonio for Sunday morning (I work at a church). Oh well. I'll just have to watch from the comfort of my house.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Great interviews from both Bo and Miller

CLASSY interview from Miller. He gave all the credit to Wisconsin and how they played, instead of lamenting on things his own team didn't do, and said he was happy for Bo.

And that was definitely a push-off on Johnson with 3 seconds to go.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Great night for Wisconsin. Very fun. I loved the 2000 team; this 2014 is rapidly catching up!

2000 team was a miracle run, and just happy to be there (in a matter of speaking). This team has the talent to play with anyone, and it's not going to be a huge shock if they win a game (or two!)

The 2000 team was a fluke at just an #8 seed... our best player was Mark Vershaw for goodness sake (my brother still loves him), though who could forget little Jon Bryant raining down 3s!?! It was an incredibly fun tournament and I still remember exactly what I was doing for each game in that run.

This team feels legit, a very streaky though offensively talented bunch. I'm not as high on Jackson or Dekker as many people, too many ill advised shots and poor decisions.... the 2 players I like the most are the 2 freshman; Koenig and Hayes.

Speaking of which, I understand that Jackson always wants the ball at the end of the game, but couldn't they do better actually running a set play and trying to free up someone instead of letting him mess around until the clock runs down and then take a bad shot? He's a very good ball handler but he's not quick enough to consistently break the defender down off the dribble and create space for himself. Not mention his shot makes me cringe (it's like watch pitcher with a weird motion such as Will Inman), it's off to the side of his head a bit and isn't all that smooth, I'm always surprised when a shot of his goes in. I realize he's made a bunch of game winners but I'm just not comfortable with him "trying to create something" at the end of a game, and I also understand that his %s have improved since last season.

All that being said I couldn't be more thrilled for Bo Ryan, the Badgers, and the state of Wisconsin. It's going to be nice riding this tournament high into opening day for the Brewers and all of the affiliates this week.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Speaking of which, I understand that Jackson always wants the ball at the end of the game, but couldn't they do better actually running a set play and trying to free up someone instead of letting him mess around until the clock runs down and then take a bad shot? He's a very good ball handler but he's not quick enough to consistently break the defender down off the dribble and create space for himself. Not mention his shot makes me cringe (it's like watch pitcher with a weird motion such as Will Inman), it's off to the side of his head a bit and isn't all that smooth, I'm always surprised when a shot of his goes in. I realize he's made a bunch of game winners but I'm just not comfortable with him "trying to create something" at the end of a game, and I also understand that his %s have improved since last season.

I've been as critical as anyone of Jackson over the course of the season. When Arizona switched the pick and roll, I knew he wasn't going to pass the ball to Kaminsky on the post with the guard on him. Give some credit where it's due; his step back created enough space to get a good shot off. It wasn't a 'bad' shot attempt, even though it didn't go in.

Still seems surreal and haven't really had a chance to soak it in despite living in Madison... just reaching this level when it always seems so unlikely or far away every year, despite the 2000 run.

It sets up a very win-able matchup vs. Michigan or Kentucky next Saturday, with a potential win setting up a colossal battle vs. Michigan State or Florida. As unreal as it seems, I'll be cheering hard for Florida if MSU beats UConn today.

While there was a push off, I think its a no call, especially since Gasser initiated the first contact. And on top of that he missed the shot anyways...

Three things in response to this.

1. How's the ref supposed to know he was going to miss the shot? That should have no bearing on if he makes a call or passes on it.

2. They hadn't called that kind of foul on the defender all game, so it wasn't going to be called on Gasser.

3. That's a foul on Johnson all day, everyday. The separation he caused with the push off allowed him the ability to shoot on open shot. It gave him a distinct advantage over the defender. It had to be called.

Follow me on Twitter

I thought Trae was great last night. He forced a shot or two, but he's the guy you want handling the ball late in the clock. He had a couple of big, late shot clock baskets last night.

What's so great about the win is that EVERYONE contributed. Gasser had one of the worst offensive games I've ever seen, but contained Johnson about as well as anyone could. Even Dekker, who is far from a lights out defender (but getting better every game) played really strong D on Aaron Gordon for much of the night. Brust hit a big shot. Koenig and Hayes both had some key buckets. And Frank was as good as I've ever seen him. Just a great Badger effort.

Man was Arizona good defensively. There were 5 or 6 quick passing sequences that almost always result in open looks for a Badger three that ended up getting them nothing last night. Such good rotation from UA. I'd expect nothing less from a team modeled on Dick Bennett. Though I don't know if Arizona has an individual defender as lights out as Mike Kelley, my personal favorite from the 2000 team.

I'm not sure how to feel about who UW plays next. Part of me thinks Michigan, but I also feel a little worried about those repeat matchups.

Who will TBS/TNT get to present the Badger "homer" cast on Saturday? Gotta think Kelley is a front-runner right? Maybe BA?

Down goes Sparty! Hoping UConn has enough left in the tank to knock off Florida.

I'm pulling for Kentucky. I think Wisco's discipline and system would expose KY's young team.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Kentucky, UConn, Florida and Wisconsin.

Kentucky, UConn and Florida have combined for 5 of that last 10 NCAA championships. We won or one and only in 1941. I actually think the Badgers will get a lot of the casual fans rooting for them. I dont think Kentucky and UConn are well-liked programs

UConn is fine; if rooting for the underdog it is probably WI.

WI can certainly win the whole thing; Kentucky is a tough team but certainly a beatable team. They have made every shot they have needed to make late in games here. Hopefully that luck runs out.

Badgers get the late game on Saturday night as well.

Hopefully UW can win in the Jerry dome just like the Packers did

Archived