Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2013-14

patrickgpe
Since the new President is from UWM, hard not to automatically throw Jeter in the mix as a real possibility.

Jeter will not be a candidate. Marquette needs to make a splash. Hiring Wardle or Jeter will no nothing to keep recruits / season ticket holders / donors / and help future recruiting.

Jeter was on the verge on being fired this season before they got hot in February and March.

Latest name being floated around the web is Bruce Weber. Makes sense but not sure how legit the rumors are.

They don't need to make a splash, they need a good basketball coach. Not saying Jeter is a great coach, that's another story. I don't want Jeter, just said the UWM connection is there. Whether it's Jeter or anyone else, hopefully they've learned that having a really good coach comes first. I don't think Bo Ryan was a very flashy hire, yet that has turned out alright. Smart was a nobody, now one of the biggest names to always come up when there are coaching vacancies. Winning builds recruiting in my opinion, not the other way around.

And please...don't let it be Bruce Weber. I'm hoping that name come up only because he has WI ties.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
It's like Baylor never saw a shot fake before. They look completely confused on defense.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The best part is the Badgers didnt even play their best. They struggled from the line and Gasser had a bit of an off night. Crazy how much better than Baylor they looked!

From an efficiency perspective, they were sort of average compared to how they normally play. Chalk it up to missed free throws and not as many threes as usual.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

That was an absolute clinic by Bucky! I like both teams, and my bracket was shot when VCU lost, so I was watching to watch. If they play like that, Final Four and even the championship is a definite possibility. It was fun to watch last night!

I'll admit I was wondering after last weekend how long Baylor could keep up its hot shooting. Since I remember all too well the times when UW did not live up to its tournament seed, I appreciate extra when they do.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

It's going to be very strange to watch UW play against Arizona in the tournament and see the Wildcats using the pack line defense. I think the Badgers have enough weapons to cause problems, but Gordon makes me nervous. The good news is I have a hard time seeing this as a blowout, and that kid can't shoot free throws.

The Badgers are tough to prepare for in a short window just because of all their offensive weapons. Maybe Dick Bennett makes a call to Bo to give him an edge ;)

I think Arizona as a 3 point favorite is about right. Wisconsin has a much better offense IMO but Arizona is big and athletic and could cause problems. Arizona does not have a whole lot of scorers. If you keep them out of the paint (Big If) you probably win.

Hopefully Kaminsky keeps playing well and UW gets better games out of Gasser and Dekker against ARI. Those two were kind of MIA yesterday; not that they needed them.

What a game! Total domination throughout. Can't wait for Saturday! About the only thing I didn't like about the game is that whoever is in love with the cross court camera angle, using the camera from behind the opposite backboard, needs to be shot.
Remember what Yoda said:

"Cubs lead to Cardinals. Cardinals lead to dislike. Dislike leads to hate. Hate leads to constipation."

As weird as it sounds I am cheering for MSU and Michigan tonight. I want the B10 to get 3 of the 4 Final 4 teams. Plus if UW happens to make it to the Final 4 I would rather play Michigan in the semis than Kentucky or Louisville. Actually I probably wouldn't mind facing Kentucky; veteran well coached team like UW could drive that team crazy.

Fondy, I can't root against Tony Bennett. Especially not when Izzo's on the other sideline. I hear you on wanting to, but I just can't. Quite. Do it.

That said, hoping the games are great tonight. Saturday is set to be a fun night of basketball. I'll be pulling for Dayton and then hoping just one (and the unexpected) of the Miller brothers makes it to Arlington.

3 seems right to me on the spread. Arizona has been awesome all year. UW's best chance might be foul trouble. UA only runs about 6 deep, so strategically pushing tempo and driving to the rim might be an effective strategy.

I remember in 2000 when being in a game to get to the Final Four was a big surprise. I remember LePay not even believing it after UW beat Purdue. It's really nice to feel like this team belongs and is in fact overdue for a Final Four, especially after all the good teams Bo has had. This one has always felt like the best. So, let's go! I'm hoping for a Wisconsin reunion kind of Final Four.

Well my bracket is officially busted. I had Louisville playing MSU in the final (and winning it all).

But what a great game, from tip to final buzzer! That is honestly one of the best tourney games I've ever watched -- supremely competitive, & filled with great athletes & great plays.

And oh yeah, by the way... all the other games today were fantastic as well. I really wish I would've recorded UVA-MSU & watched it in its entirety after UK-UL.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived