Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2013-14

patrickgpe
  • Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless Uw end up a #1 I see almost no way they aren't in MIL. The committee would probably drop them to a #3 if they had to just to let them be in MIL. They have earned it.

Apparently, seeds aren't locked into certain locations, so they could be a #1 and still play in Milwaukee.

Unless Uw end up a #1 I see almost no way they aren't in MIL. The committee would probably drop them to a #3 if they had to just to let them be in MIL. They have earned it.

Apparently, seeds aren't locked into certain locations, so they could be a #1 and still play in Milwaukee.

That's what I read yesterday as well. The locations on the mock bracket are not set it stone. The locations are determined AFTER the seeding is complete.

That's what I read yesterday as well. The locations on the mock bracket are not set it stone. The locations are determined AFTER the seeding is complete.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

A good example of this. Lunardi doesn't even have 6 games in Milwaukee, he only has 3. The error is probably a result of moving around the locations and forgetting to include Milwaukee the second time. (He's got 9 games being played in St. Louis)

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

A good example of this. Lunardi doesn't even have 6 games in Milwaukee, he only has 3. The error is probably a result of moving around the locations and forgetting to include Milwaukee the second time. (He's got 9 games being played in St. Louis)

He subsequently changed it after I asked him about it on Twitter. Confirmed host cities are not tied to seed.

Gotta say, I'm rather disappointed with the play in the first half. Not that the badgers have played terribly, but that state has just been stupidly on fire.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Just thought I'd take a look at some potential match-ups for UW in round 1, assuming they get a 2, which looks like the most likely scenario. I know the committee can move teams up or down a line depending on bracketing principles, but I think the 15 and 16 seeds will be pretty set (though I suppose it's possible a "true 14" gets moved to a 15 because of some rule or other). Here's how I'd do it.

16s: Coastal Carolina, Albany, Mt. Saint Mary's, Texas Southern, Big West winner (CS-Northridge/Cal Poly), Wofford

(Assuming no other upsets in conference tourneys, I think those six have the weakest profiles. I suppose one could argue Milwaukee over Wofford based on the Terriers having a tough schedule. Weber St. would be a potential candidate as well).

15s: Weber St., Milwaukee, Eastern Kentucky, American

I think there is a BIG gap between even the 15s and 14s, as NC Central, North Dakota St., Mercer, and Manhattan can all do certain things very well. I think there will be a lot of quality at 12-14 from the "mids."

Of the 15s, the Badgers can't play EKU or UWM, as they've played them already this year. Again, this might be a rule that gets bent, but without a giant, 16-team conference filling out an eighth of the field, I don't think the committee will be boxed in by bracket rules. That leaves Weber (who UW beat by 8 in '03) and American. Of the two, I'd much prefer Weber, as American defends well and just grinds and grinds and grinds. It'd would likely be a low possession affair (unless UW can push tempo) and an off-shooting night would mean trouble.

I don't see the Badgers losing in round one. This team is too complete and has too many offensive weapons, and I think its defensive struggles would be less likely to matter against any 15. If they slide to a 3, which would really surprise me at this point, some of the 14s have slash guards that might cause problems. We'll see. Of the 7-10 line type teams, I'd love to see someone like Lunardi's Gonzaga-Colorado matchup. I'd want no part of a team like Pitt or VCU. UMass, Baylor, Oregon, and Arizona State don't scare me that much.

I wonder if the Badgers are a lock for a two at this point. Based on their win tonight, I would think that Iowa State will be in the equation. I'm still working on the assumption that the winner of Duke/Virginia will get the 4th one, the loser will probably get a 3. However, let's say that Virginia and Michigan win tomorrow. You'd have one of those two as a one and one as a two, then Villanova, Iowa State and Kansas and the loser of the ACC game as competition with the Badgers for one of the three spots. I think that Nova and one of the two Big 12 teams are locks, so it may come down to the Badgers and Duke. I think that they should probably be pulling for Duke tomorrow just to be sure, as they would almost certainly get a seed higher than Virginia in that case.

I'm going to say they get the two and play Wofford. Eastern Kentucky would also be a strong possibility, but I don't know the policy on scheduling first round games between teams that have already played. Wofford could actually be a fairly tough matchup as they are very well coached and can shoot. The Badgers should be able to eat them alive with their size though.

I was annoyed about not being in the Midwest Region until I saw that bracket. WiSt, Michigan, Duke, Louisville, St Louis, Kentucky... Yikes.

Agreed. The 2 in the West is a great draw.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Community Moderator
Home court advantage will get WI to Anaheim. The potential Creighton matchup is scary, if they get past that one they should advance to the final-four. Depends on how well Creighton is shooting that day.

I think UW got a great draw overall. American could very well hang around for a half or so, but the Badgers have so much offensive talent.

Oregon and BYU can both score, but Wisconsin can win games like that, I think. I think Creighton is a great matchup as well. They just do not defend anyone. What a weird year. Never thought I'd think about the Badgers being able to outscore some of the best offensive teams in the country. I think this team showed some toughness against MSU, despite the losing effort, so hopefully that (the toughness) carries over.

SDSU and Arizona are, I think, really good and would be really tough to beat. If they play each other, it will be an absolute war.

In short, great draw, I think. I really hope Nigel and Frank play well. If they do, this team can beat anyone.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Bracket lines up really well for UW. Oregon and Creighton don't play defense....period. And Creighton relies on shooting threes. Yes, they make a ton but UW's one strength on D is preventing teams from getting off three point shots (or maybe it's because they are too busy driving to the hoop). I will be disappointed if they can't get to the Elite 8....but if some team shoots like MSU did the other day there's not much you can do about it.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I like the draw for the Badgers. I wish UMass or Texas would have been the 7 seed in their bracket but that is getting picky.

UWM actually got an okay draw for being a 15 seed. I doubt they will beat nova but I could see them hanging tough for a while.

Bummer for UWGB being the 2nd team out. If they would have beaten UWM during the regular season they might be in. Could have 3 state schools in the tourney.

Rough end for Marquette. Didnt even get an NIT bid which means you are not in the first 20 out of the tournament. From Elite 8 to missing the NIT.

There seems to be no middle ground for Wisconsin according to the pundits. A couple have picked them going to the Final 4 and a couple have them losing to Oregon in the 2nd round. I just can't see them basically losing a home game to a team that doesn't play defense. Yes their offense is very versatile and they can all score; doesn't that sound exactly like UW? Defense carries UW.

As for Creighton that is a very winnable game which would come down to both teams' ability to hit 3's. They both shoot a ton of them. I like UW simply because we have more weapons but Dougy McBuckets is a stud. Keep him under 25 and we probably win. Beating Arizona would be really tough but I am not so sure they make it that far. Okie St in the 2nd round will be a tough games and they better not sleep on SDSU either.

Overall I think UW ended up in the easiest region. Wichita St's region is the region of doom. Just stud teams everywhere.

For now I will go with Florida, Michigan State, WI, and Louisville. Michigan St and Florida seem like almost no brainers and Louisville is playing very well right now

This bracket seems wonkier than usual, but maybe that's just me. Wellman seemed to contradict himself about 40 times in his three minutes last night (Louisville got a low seed because they look at the whole picture. Other teams got into the tournament for good recent play). But, I guess that's to be expected for the guy who still hasn't fired Jeff Bzdelik http://firebz.com/FireBz/WellmanOut.html.

Brutal draw for Wichita State; that region would make much more sense with Louisville #3 and Duke #4. Honestly though for Louisville they have a pretty manageable path with St. Louis and then Wichita State, who is clearly very good but still has to be considered a bit of a wildcard.

I don't really have any idea what the committee saw in NC State outside of having one player who is really fun to watch (Warren), but maybe that's enough to make for an interesting play-in game. Kenpom has them 66th behind about a dozen teams who missed the tourney. They finished in a 3-way tie for 7th at 9-9 in the ACC, and they were 5-5 in their last 10 with blowout losses to Miami and @Clemson.

I don't know what to do with the bottom half of Florida's regional. Kansas has looked pretty unimpressive without Embiid, and Syracuse has looked horrendous in the last month. I've got Kansas losing to Florida in the final, but I don't like it.

I think the toughest final four picks are what to do with Mich St vs. UVA and Louisville vs. the rest of the regional. I've got UVA, but I'll be quite surprised if anybody from the bottom of UVA's bracket makes it to the final four.

Ah well, this ought to be good.

There seems to be no middle ground for Wisconsin according to the pundits. A couple have picked them going to the Final 4 and a couple have them losing to Oregon in the 2nd round. I just can't see them basically losing a home game to a team that doesn't play defense. Yes their offense is very versatile and they can all score; doesn't that sound exactly like UW? Defense carries UW.

They defend dribble penetration poorly enough as a unit that I'm not sold this is the case for this season's team. I think 3-point shooting is what carries this team. KenPom has them as 59th in the country for D & 5th for O; those rankings pass the eye test for me.

The other still-glaring defensive weakness is lack of bigs. Those two factors combined is why I think MSU had their way with UW -- they have strong penetrating guards & one of the best (& most athletic) big men in the country.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

They defend dribble penetration poorly enough as a unit that I'm not sold this is the case for this season's team. I think 3-point shooting is what carries this team. KenPom has them as 59th in the country for D & 5th for O; those rankings pass the eye test for me.

The other still-glaring defensive weakness is lack of bigs. Those two factors combined is why I think MSU had their way with UW -- they have strong penetrating guards & one of the best (& most athletic) big men in the country.

I took that as him saying UW's defense is better than Oregon's so it will carry them. Oregon's kenpom rankings are 90 for d and 12 for offense. If you look ahead to potentially playing Creighton they are 126 for d and 1 for o. There are two teams similar to UW with very good to great offenses but even worse defenses.

I took that as him saying UW's defense is better than Oregon's so it will carry them. Oregon's kenpom rankings are 90 for d and 12 for offense. If you look ahead to potentially playing Creighton they are 126 for d and 1 for o. There are two teams similar to UW with very good to great offenses but even worse defenses.

Whoops, if this is the correct interpretation then my apologies to fondy :embarrassed

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Archived