Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2013-14

patrickgpe
  • Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well you can probably eliminate Kansas as a #1 with a loss at WVU today. UW might actually have a shot if they can beat Nebraska and make the B10 title game

I agree, but for whatever reason, every list I see has Villanova ahead of Wisconsin as the next #1 seed in. Arizona just lost to an unraked Oregon, but I don't think that knocks them out.

1. Florida

2. Wichita State

3. Villanova

4. Arizona

5. Wisconsin

6. Virginia

One thing that I absolutely want if we are a #2 is to get into Wichita State's region. Not that I think they are even going to make the 2nd weekend, but I'd drool over playing that untested squad in the Elite 8.

Interesting Site.. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I don't have a good feeling about the Wisconsin game at Nebraska tomorrow. That place is going to be going insane. They might guarantee themselves a tournament berth if they beat UW. Probably the biggest game for them since.....since I don't know when. Biggest game since they joined the B1G that's for sure.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

if no UWGB, then hopefully UWM makes the big dance. I was thinking Cleveland St and Valpo would be contenders for the title as they're the perennial top teams. But UWM vs Wright St makes things interesting.

Community Moderator

I know it's about the full resume, but I can't see how (as of right now) Iowa should be in and Nebraska out. They are headed in opposite directions. I know Iowa has a better nonconference schedule, but they are headed in opposite directions:

Iowa: lost 5 of last 6 games

Nebraska: won 9 of last 11 games

Nebraska won @ MSU, Iowa won @ Michigan

Wisconsin - Wichita State in the Elite 8 would be wonderful. Unfortunately, someone else will probably take care of them first.

I do wonder if UWGB is even on the bubble. They have a good win against Virginia but I just can't see them making the tourney now. They have to be pretty disappointed. Hopefully UWM can take the title now.

Wichita St will be #1 in the Midwest, Florida #1 in the South and Arizona #1 in the West. We probably want UW to stay a #2 in the Midwest and many bracketologists have UW in the Midwest. I think things are looking pretty good

UWGB was missing several guys for different stretches of that game due to injury.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

I do wonder if UWGB is even on the bubble. They have a good win against Virginia but I just can't see them making the tourney now. They have to be pretty disappointed. Hopefully UWM can take the title now.

Wichita St will be #1 in the Midwest, Florida #1 in the South and Arizona #1 in the West. We probably want UW to stay a #2 in the Midwest and many bracketologists have UW in the Midwest. I think things are looking pretty good

Joe Lunardi had Bucky #2 in the South last night after Kansas/Arizona losses. Disappointed in that. If Villanova can get a quick exit somehow in the Big East Tournament and Bucky goes deep, I think Bucky can get the #1 in the Midwest and they'll move Wichita State to the East (Kansas was there, so not that geographically displaced with Wichita State going there).

Would you guys rather have a #1 seed and play in Orlando or St. Louis on the opening weekend....or settle for the #2 seed and play in Milwaukee?

Lincoln will be nuts tonight. It will be a good test for Bucky. A win there, and I think this team will display some serious focus, which is important in March.

I love watching these smaller conference tournaments and tend to hope for the best team to win so as to maximize the bottom of the bracket strength. So far, Harvard will be dangerous. I think Eastern Kentucky beating Belmont was a surprise, but they've got a lot of experience (as opposed to Belmont, who turned over most of their roster) and shoot the three. If they get placed at 15, that's a tough matchup for some teams. Harvard will be a tough out as well.

Green Bay losing was disappointing. They're a fringe bubble contender at best, I'd say. The down Horizon League did them no favors. In previous years, it would still be close, but they could have counted on a stronger non-con performance from Cleveland St. or Valpo. They just didn't seem to match up well with Milwaukee, who beat them twice at the Resch this year. Wright State is top 40 Defensive team via KenPom, so we'll see how the Panthers handle it.

Joe Lunardi had Bucky #2 in the South last night after Kansas/Arizona losses. Disappointed in that. If Villanova can get a quick exit somehow in the Big East Tournament and Bucky goes deep, I think Bucky can get the #1 in the Midwest and they'll move Wichita State to the East (Kansas was there, so not that geographically displaced with Wichita State going there).

Would you guys rather have a #1 seed and play in Orlando or St. Louis on the opening weekend....or settle for the #2 seed and play in Milwaukee?

Much rather be in Milwaukee, I think. The difference between a mostly home crowd and is bigger than the difference between playing a #7 or a #8.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

I'm less concerned with seed and more concerned with who they'll match up against (regardless of seed).

Yahoo actually has them as the 4th #1 seed right now with Villanova and Michigan the Top #2's. They obviously have to beat Nebraska tonight and mostly likely have to win Friday and Saturday in the B10 tourney. To me there really is no difference between having to play a #15 and #2 versus a #16 and #8 so I would much rather just play in Milwaukee. But #15 seeds have beaten #2s before so I wouldn't be complaining if they land a #1.

Well you can probably eliminate Kansas as a #1 with a loss at WVU today. UW might actually have a shot if they can beat Nebraska and make the B10 title game

I agree, but for whatever reason, every list I see has Villanova ahead of Wisconsin as the next #1 seed in. Arizona just lost to an unraked Oregon, but I don't think that knocks them out.

1. Florida

2. Wichita State

3. Villanova

4. Arizona

5. Wisconsin

6. Virginia

One thing that I absolutely want if we are a #2 is to get into Wichita State's region. Not that I think they are even going to make the 2nd weekend, but I'd drool over playing that untested squad in the Elite 8.

Interesting Site.. http://www.bracketmatrix.com/

No Duke on your list? They beat Virginia in their only matchup this year (close game at Duke, so probably equal on neutral court).

I'd rather be a #2 in the same region with Wichita State as the #1 than a #1 in a region with Villanova, Duke, or Syracuse as the #2.

Nebraska had everything to play for. I'm not surprised at the result. Free throws killed Wisconsin.

i figure WI's poor FT shooting kinda balanced out their terrific 3-point shooting. all in all a heck of a game played by Nebraska in a game that they desperately needed. although one WI needed if they were going to lock up a #1 seed, though maybe they still have a chance at it if they can make it to the Tournament Championship game. that may be a stretch at this point, though. but then a 2 seed isn't really a tremendous difference from a 1 seed, anyway.

Nebraska is super tough at home, and as other's have said, were playing for their tourney lives. Still, I didn't like the way Bucky was just throwing it up late in the game instead of looking for good shots. I know you're short on time, but they weren't even attempting to find or create a good look, they were just heaving up 3's with multiple defenders in their faces, and the results were pretty plain to see.

Get that Nebraska team away from home and it will be entirely different. They absolutely needed that game and UW was already looked into the #2 seed in the B10 tourney. Nebraska should make the tourney but I am not expecting them to win more than a game if they end up as an 11 as I expect them too.

Larger problem was getting beat by dribble penetration over and over again. UW will run into a team like that in the NCAA tourney.

They are probably locked in as a #2 seed even if those lose on Friday. Maybe they could fall to a #3 but with the number of high quality wins I don't think a loss to Minnesota would drop them a line.

Get that Nebraska team away from home and it will be entirely different. They absolutely needed that game and UW was already looked into the #2 seed in the B10 tourney. Nebraska should make the tourney but I am not expecting them to win more than a game if they end up as an 11 as I expect them too.

Larger problem was getting beat by dribble penetration over and over again. UW will run into a team like that in the NCAA tourney.

They are probably locked in as a #2 seed even if those lose on Friday. Maybe they could fall to a #3 but with the number of high quality wins I don't think a loss to Minnesota would drop them a line.

And they've shown they can't defend that all season. I feel like they'll either go on a great run really deep into the tourney, or get bounced by like a Coastal Carolina in the first or second round.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

knowing our luck, Wisconsin will somehow get that #1 seed in the NCAAs and make history by becoming the first top seed to ever lose to a #16 seed, mostly due to lack of stopping that dribble penetration to the hoop.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Their seeding in the tournament is likely set at a 2, worst case a 3 seed. I'd be more concerned about making sure they play in Milwaukee. Right now it's them and Michigan, both as likely two seeds. But Creighton and Iowa State are not far behind. Iowa State concerns me most, as they have a chance to pick up wins over a bunch of tournament teams in the Big 12 tournament - KState, then likely Kansas, then maybe Texas or someone in the final. They win that and they could very easily move up and possibly steal a spot in Milwaukee.

Same with Creighton, though the only win they could get that would really help is Villanova in the finals.

I think a win on Friday, likely over MN, would probably cement it for WI. Lose and it could get taken away, which would really suck.

Yea, too bad. I said in here a week or two ago they had a legit shot at a #1, and it turns out they did. Not a big diff between 1/2 though. They need to avoid losing the 1st game in the Big 10 tourney.

I can see them getting upset early or making a big run. Then again, that's no different than any of the other top teams. They all have flaws. Tough game in NE, I wasn't even upset by that loss. I'm pretty sure the Heat would have lost going into that place that night.

Archived