Brewer Fanatic

College Basketball Thread 2013-14

patrickgpe

I think right around 7 now. So that's only 3 teams to jump. No way anyone catches them from behind if they win out, SOS is just too strong. I think Syracuse/Duke/VA will take care of itself. So you have Wichita, ACC, AZ, Kansas, Florida. Two of those would need to fall out, and there's enough time for that to happen.

Either way, they would still be a high #2 which isn't that different from the last #1 seed anyhow.

• Replies 601
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A couple of years ago either UW or Marquette (I think UW) was given a 6 seed and got first round games in Milwaukee. It was inferred that UW deserved higher than a 6 seed but was given a lower seed in exchange for nearby games. They changed it a couple of years ago to try to get teams closer to home the first two rounds, usually the top seeds in the first two rounds (as many 1-4 seeds as they could) but occasionally to balance a lower seeding. Milwaukee may host both the 3/6 seeds for the Midwest and the 3/6 seeds for the South if that gets the 3 seed in each (or the 6 seed that deserved a higher seed) closer to home. It would be very possible for Milwaukee to host UW as a 2/3 seed for one Region and MSU/Michigan as the 2/3/4 in another Region.

Personally I think Florida and Wichita St are probably locks for #1's. I don't see Wichita St losing and Florida has been really strong. I would say Kansas will end up as a #1 as well although that one is a little more in doubt. So the last #1 would be up to Syracuse, Duke, Wisconsin, Arizona, Virginia, St Louis, Villanova, Michigan. Odds probably aren't good that UW comes out on top of that group. I would feel much more comfortable calling them a #2.

A couple of years ago either UW or Marquette (I think UW) was given a 6 seed and got first round games in Milwaukee. It was inferred that UW deserved higher than a 6 seed but was given a lower seed in exchange for nearby games. They changed it a couple of years ago to try to get teams closer to home the first two rounds, usually the top seeds in the first two rounds (as many 1-4 seeds as they could) but occasionally to balance a lower seeding. Milwaukee may host both the 3/6 seeds for the Midwest and the 3/6 seeds for the South if that gets the 3 seed in each (or the 6 seed that deserved a higher seed) closer to home. It would be very possible for Milwaukee to host UW as a 2/3 seed for one Region and MSU/Michigan as the 2/3/4 in another Region.

It was Wisconsin, and it was actually about ten years ago. They had probably earned a 3-4 seed but instead dropped to a 6 and got placed in Milwaukee. Drawback was that they wound up playing Pittsburgh in round 2 as the 3 seed (and they were underseeded) and Wisconsin lost. It doesn't really guarantee anything obviously, but it's certainly a big advantage if they could wind up playing in Milwaukee. You are correct in that that type of scenario shouldn't happen any more. They do try to keep teams closer to home, but only the top four seed lines should be getting that type of benefit. As it stands now, you're probably exactly right. It would likely be both Michigan and Wisconsin in Milwaukee as 2/3 seeds.

I think it's a longshot for WI to wind up with a one seed. Not impossible, but winning out likely isn't enough. They'd need some help with the other teams losing a few games. Florida and WSU are almost locks at this point. I would Kansas has likely sewn one up unless they drop 2-3 games here. That list looks accurate as far as who is in front of the Badgers, but I don't necessarily think we have enough to pass them, even with winning out.

Interesting game to watch tonight. Scares me a little. Horrible in the first half, 26% shooting, 19 points. You can play that bad in the first half and beat IU. You do that in the tournament and you're likely going home. Then in the second half, they score 50 points on roughly 60% shooting and pull away. A lot of it boils down to just making shots, though some of it is attacking the hoop and getting to the line as well. Still a win, which is all that matters I guess.

I was happy with that Wisconsin-Indiana outcome (by the end). Seeing Tom Crean preside over a second half collapse was a terrific off-season birthday present. On his way off the court after the game ended, he turned to the student section hecklers like he wanted to get into it with them. While surrounded by cops. Savvy move, Tom.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

A Purdue win would have been nice last night. Big Dog Jr made a tough shot.

Purdue gave that game away. In regulation, they turned it over 3 times in their last 4 possessions (and blew a 6 point lead). Then in OT, Purdue missed a front end with 12 seconds left, setting MI up for the win. Oh well. Badgers put themselves in this spot by playing so poorly over the course of 6 games. The loss to OSU especially, as they just gave that one away.

Looks like NIT, CBI, or CIT for Marquette. This team has lots of flaws. I'll be glad after this year when Jamil Wilson is gone...not because he's a bad player, but because then I won't have to hear all his apologists constantly declaring that he's the best athlete that MU has had since Wade. Derek Wilson has some nice skills--defense and ball handling--but he cannot penetrate, doesn't create for himself OR others, cannot shoot, and cannot break a press. Otule is very solid defensively and I'm glad to see him healthy, but his offensive limitations mean he should play in the last 5 minutes of close games. Gardner has returned to form in the 2nd half after a tough first few games. I still don't see why Anderson was a consensus top-100 recruit. Jake Thomas really showed us a lot after many of us were calling for his benching in November.

Next year's team (at least in November) may be a lot shorter, but should play much faster. Mayo, Burton, Wilson, Johnson, and Anderson could comprise the starting 5 in November and that'd play awfully fast. Off the bench that would leave Wilson, Dawson, and the newcomers. That's a pretty athletic team

That would be a tiny rotation. It could play fast but it would get eaten alive by any team with size. Anderson would be guarding the 5? I think Steve Taylor will get every chance to start. Also I wouldnt be shocked to see Johnson transfer. He is seeing absolutely no time right now and kids are not that patient these days. Johnson has 16 points in conference play! Since playing 23 minutes against St Johns he has had 7 games scoring 9 points. He has three DNP and three games with 2 minutes or less. I am not a Marquette fan but I hate how many transfers there are in college bball but I would put money on him leaving. hope I am wrong

I would guess Marquette starts Derrick Wilson, Mayo, Burton, Anderson and Taylor. Athletic team but they will struggle with size and will still not be a team that is good from deep. They are losing their biggest threat from 3. Fischer should be a big help second semester.

Buzz really blew this season. Not like this team would have been a Final 4 team no matter what, but they should have been a tourney team as least. There is no reason for Juan Anderson or Derek Wilson to be on the court, other than mop-up minutes. If Burton, Taylor, Dawson, and J Johnson took those minutes, they would have slipped into the tourney. No question in my mind.

The thing I can't stand about Buzz is his inconsistency in giving players PT. At certain times this season I've forgotten that JaJuan Johnson and Steve Taylor play for Marquette. Meanwhile Derrick Wilson is nothing more than a backup caliber point guard and Jake Thomas can't do anything but shoot 3's. I'd really like to see more time given to the more talented players (Johnson, Burton, Taylor) in hopes they develop instead of the guys who play now who are clearly limited in what they can do (Williams, Thomas, Anderson).

Steve Taylor really should have redshirted this year. Buzz doesn't use the redshirt very well...if he did, we'd have had Cadougan this year.

Completely agree on Taylor. No reason for him to play this year. Man is Marquette lucky Luke Fischer wanted out of Indiana. Even with him the second half of next year they are thin in the front court but it would be scary for them without him.

Marquette is losing a lot this year even with it being a down year. Gardner and Otule will definitely hurt. Thomas with all his limitations is 4th on the team in scoring and is light years ahead of his backups on defense. Jamil Wilson is frustrating but scored double digits in all but 4 conference games.

Mayo is the only guy returning who is in the top 5 on the team in scoring. Buzz likes his upperclassmen so I would expect Wilson, Mayo, and Anderson to be 3 of the for sure starters. I would assume Burton and Taylor are the other two with Fischer maybe taking a spot when he gets up to speed. Duane Wilson will be interesting to watch.

Creighton loses a ton so Big East might be pretty up in the air after Villanova so Marquette will have a shot to get some wins, but it could be another tough season

I would expect Wilson, Mayo, and Anderson to be 3 of the for sure starters.

I'm afraid you may be right. And if that's the case, it will be another long year. Mayo needs to be on the court, but the other two offer almost nothing. Sorry, but a PG who shoots under 50% from the line and under 0% from 3 point land doesn't quite cut it. He's not exactly a great distributor either.

I would expect Wilson, Mayo, and Anderson to be 3 of the for sure starters.

I'm afraid you may be right. And if that's the case, it will be another long year. Mayo needs to be on the court, but the other two offer almost nothing. Sorry, but a PG who shoots under 50% from the line and under 0% from 3 point land doesn't quite cut it. He's not exactly a great distributor either.

Oh I don't disagree. Buzz seems to love the kid and apparently he plays good defense. I am not a Marquette fan so I dont watch them a ton but I would put money on those 3 starting. I would also expect a transfer or two because it happens each year

Not sure if anyone else stayed up to watch the Marquette game tonight. Great game, but what an epic fail by Marquette. For those that didn't see it. Marquette went up 3 with about 25 seconds left in double OT. They play great defense, and Providence gets a 2 with roughly 10 seconds left. Timeout called. Marquette gets it in to Thomas. Who catches it and just cradles the ball. Doesn't move, doesn't try to pass, doesn't call timeout. The Providence guy reaches in and forces a jumpball (not sure if he even had the ball but it didn't matter). Providence arrow, their ball with 7 second left. Then on the INBOUNDS pass, Derek Wilson commits a foul going for the ball. I mean, it's one thing to turn it over, it's another to commit a foul on an inbounds play with 7 seconds left when the guy is going away from the basket, roughly 5 feet behind the arc. Providence makes 2 FT. Marquette comes down and Mayo gets a good luck and throws up an airball. Gardner with a slight chance to tip it in but bobbled the ball it appeared.

So to recap, up 3 with 25 left to down 1 with 7 seconds left. Simply stunning. Gardner also hit a 70 footer about .2 after the buzzer sounded that would have won the game earlier too. I doubt MU had much of a tournament shot, but this officially ended it, and it's pretty sad because it's a game they certainly had in their pocket and lost out of just bad basketball plays.

yeah this game was a comedy of mental errors.

in addition to what you already mentioned, i believe they fouled Providence 3 times during a 3pt attempt, leading to 2 four point plays. Have no idea what Thomas was doing, and that foul on the inbounds pass was pathetic.

Marquette now has to win the Big East Tourney to get in. Obviously not great odds on that.

UW continues their unlikely bid for a one seed tonight. They seem like a solid two seed. Wichita State, Arizona, and Florida are most likely one seeds and that leaves Duke, Kansas, Virginia, Nova, and Wisconsin battling for the one seed. Each team has its own merits.

Kansas has played an amazing amount of top 50 games and have won a lot of them however they have 7 losses and only one 1 seed has ever had 7 losses.

Duke has solid computer rankings. 5-4 only against the top 50. The weakness of the middle and bottom of the ACC hurts them

Virginia has great computer rankings and are ACC champs. However a very unbalanced ACC schedule and a bad ACC helped a lot. Only 2-3 against the RPI top 25 and only 4-3 against the top 50.

UW has a great RPI, strength of schedule, and 5-1 against the RPI top 25 and 8-3 against the top 50. They are behind most in Kenpom in other rankings and have one bad loss at home to Northwestern. Indiana's winning streak has helped the Badgers in that way since they are up to 76 now.

Nova has very solid computer ratings. But much like Virginia has poor numbers against top teams. Just 1-3 against RPI top 25 and 4-3 against top 50. A weak conference and two blowout losses against Creighton will hurt.

I guess Cuse is probably in there too but their recent struggles are really hurting them. They are behind those 5 in every computer rating but they are 8-2 against the RPI top 50. The deceiving part of that is 5 of those wins have come against teams 45-50. So they are just 3-2 against top 44 and playing very poorly right now

Did anyone notice at the end of the regulation (or 1st OT can't remember which) Score tied, 10 second left. Derek Wilson practically walks the ball up the court and left no time for a decent shot. Why didn't he sprint up the court to start the offense? I couldn't believe it. Wait- I can.

I don't know what happened to Buzz this year. We can always 2nd guess playing time here and there with any team, any year. But the way Buzz passed out minutes this year was baffling. Including his attempt to go offense/defense the entire game. I mean, who does that? Side effect of all this, I'm expecting Johnson and/or Dawson to transfer.

I did notice that, and It was ridiculous. Wilson is just simply not good. He also had a turnover with about 1:30 left in one of the OT's. He was WIDE open for a 3 but because he can't shoot, he decided to drive and traveled. He cost them at the end of OT and the end of the second OT. Thomas is to blame too, but Wilson really blew it.

And I completely agree, he's just simply not a good player, yet Buzz keeps putting him out there when there are much, much better options sitting on the bench.

Badgers just need to win tonight and I think it'll almost lock up the Milwaukee spot for the first two rounds. They have to be awfully far ahead of the others. Michigan is close, but they can both play there. Creighton, Iowa State and MSU have lost quite a bit lately.

The badgers didnt look great last night but considering all the other top teams are dropping games I guess just getting a win is nice. Duke losing to Wake was very good for the Badgers. Nebraska is going to be a very tough test in the season finale. They are 14-1 at home this year and are playing for their tournament lives. Some Nebraska fans are saying this is the biggest home game ever at Lincoln. If the Badgers win that I think they are locked into a two seed

I agree they are locked in a two with a Nebraska win. But even if they lose the crappy play by Duke and Syracuse lately really opens the door for them to stay a #2 no matter what. So long as they win at least one game I think they should be a #2. Most lists that I have seen have them being the highest or 2nd highes 2 seed already.

I agree they are locked in a two with a Nebraska win. But even if they lose the crappy play by Duke and Syracuse lately really opens the door for them to stay a #2 no matter what. So long as they win at least one game I think they should be a #2. Most lists that I have seen have them being the highest or 2nd highes 2 seed already.

I agree but they have been under-seeded before so I am trying not to get my hopes up. Nova could easily pick up two more losses as well with Xavier tonight and the inability to even be competitive against Creighton if they match up. Kansas will likely be okay but going to WVU without Embid is a trap game. That said UW might have one of the toughest regular season games left.

Anderson and Der. Wilson are both excellent defenders. Not players you want as starters, but they are players that every team in D1 would love to have coming off the bench.

I want to say that Johnson was sick for a while and that was why he had some DNPs. Also with Mayo and Thomas playing so well as of late that doesn't leave many minutes available with those two ahead of him. With Thomas gone next year that will open up more minutes for Johnson.

Taylor was having some more knee trouble which kept him out of some games. But I think that the decision to redshirt should be left up to the kids, not the coach. You shouldn't be able to make a kid redshirt if he doesn't want to.

Archived