Brewer Fanatic

Tim Lincecum - 2 years, $35 million dollars

torts

Giants signed a declining Lincecum to an insane $35 million dollar contract for 2 years. unreal.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9864620/tim-lincecum-agrees-two-year-contract-san-francisco-giants

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

That is ridiculous. But a team with the six highest payroll can afford to do stupid stuff. It's the reality of allowing those top teams to do basically whatever they want. Including taking an insane risk on Lincecum. Us Brewer fans still complain about the lost money for Suppan. If this doesn't work out for the Giants they won't even sneeze.

Community Moderator

This is nothing compared to some of the contracts that will likely be signed in the next few years. I suspect we are seeing the increased spending from the new national TV contracts that begin in 2014.

The information on TV deals is somewhat limited, but my understanding is that starting in 2014, each team is getting an extra $26 million per year compared with 2013. (Previously $25 million per team, now $51 million per team)

seems like a good deal for both to me. Lincecum has had a fantastic career. He's still pretty effective. He has a lot of upside. The Giants are committing to only 2 years. 2 years ago this deal would have been for 2 years and $60 million. To get him for $17.5 million per year on a short-term commitment seems great for both sides.

People freaked out when the Dbacks gave Randy Johnson a huge contract after the M's and Astros were afraid of his back. People freaked when the Astros gave Clemens huge 1-year contracts with the ability to leave the team between starts and only pick 3-4 months. People freaked when the Pirates signed Liriano for a great contract (I wanted the Brewers to sign him). I'm not saying Lincecum will be great, but I'm also saying that it's rare that pitchers go the way of Dontrelle Willis and lose all effectiveness. Lincecum has plenty of time to make adjustments and has been remarkably injury-free in his career.

I would say it is an overpay on the face of it (even with more media $), but SF has its own goals and I am sure that a deep postseason run in 2014 is probably the main one. I don't know what arms will be available as free agents and maybe they feel TL is one of the best of the bunch (despite the stats) so lets lock up this deal right away so we can focus on other areas. Maybe not the correct move for 25 teams in baseball, but for SF it might be.

Maybe not the correct move for 25 teams in baseball, but for SF it might be.

Well put. Teams with a payroll advantage should use that advantage, while teams like the Brewers cannot be run in that way long term.

The biggest problem with these type of deals is that they are used as "comps" by other players, driving up the price of everyone, and making it even tougher for the "have-nots" to participate in the free agent market. All the "price per win" numbers and valuations of what a player is "really worth" are based largely on what teams like the Yankees and Giants pay for their guys, and shouldn't really be used for many of the teams in baseball.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

The biggest problem with these type of deals is that they are used as "comps" by other players, driving up the price of everyone, and making it even tougher for the "have-nots" to participate in the free agent market. All the "price per win" numbers and valuations of what a player is "really worth" are based largely on what teams like the Yankees and Giants pay for their guys, and shouldn't really be used for many of the teams in baseball.

That's the most important part of it. Lincecum's price will impact the whole market.

The one saving grace from it all is the case of Kyle Lohse last year, where he was priced out of the market and had to come back to get signed at the end. I hope there are pitchers who also look at his case and recognize they're not always in the driver's seat.

Why wouldn't the Giants have waited to offer a QO. Sure, Lincecum could have tested FA but who was going to pay him above QO rates or be willing to give up a draft pick to sign him? I bet the Giants could've signed him for less $/year going the QO route.

Kyle Lohse wasnt signed because teams didnt want to give up a first round pick to sign him.

I don't think so, I think it's because he doesn't strike guys out. If teams believed in his 2.86 ERA, they wouldn't have cared about the low level prospect. It really didn't hurt Swisher, Soriano, or Bourn. Teams just don't value Lohse's skill set of pitching to contact.

Also, his agent probably screwed up and rejected better offers, then brought his price way down when the season was getting close to starting.

I tried to log in on my iPad. Turns out it was an etch-a-sketch and I don't own an iPad. Also, I'm out of vodka.

Why wouldn't the Giants have waited to offer a QO. Sure, Lincecum could have tested FA but who was going to pay him above QO rates or be willing to give up a draft pick to sign him? I bet the Giants could've signed him for less $/year going the QO route.

if they offer a QO that is all the Giants can sign him to, a 1 year deal for $14.1 million. Lincecum made it known he wanted more than that, at least 2 years, so regardless what he'd have gotten on the market, he wanted 2 years or more, and you cannot give that once you extend a qualified offer, and the Giants wanted to keep him no matter what, so they gave him what he wanted

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

if they offer a QO that is all the Giants can sign him to, a 1 year deal for $14.1 million. Lincecum made it known he wanted more than that, at least 2 years, so regardless what he'd have gotten on the market, he wanted 2 years or more, and you cannot give that once you extend a qualified offer, and the Giants wanted to keep him no matter what, so they gave him what he wanted

I understand that Lincecum made it known he wanted more, but would he have gotten more? Seems like the Giants could've saved a little by going the QO route. But again, it's not my money so they can offer whatever they want.

I understand that Lincecum made it known he wanted more, but would he have gotten more? Seems like the Giants could've saved a little by going the QO route. But again, it's not my money so they can offer whatever they want.

yes, he would have definitely gotten more than 1 year when he hit the free agent market. Maybe not $35 million for 2 years, but im sure someone would have offered $28/2 just to beat the Giants 14/1 QO.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Kyle Lohse wasnt signed because teams didnt want to give up a first round pick to sign him.

I don't think so, I think it's because he doesn't strike guys out. If teams believed in his 2.86 ERA, they wouldn't have cared about the low level prospect. It really didn't hurt Swisher, Soriano, or Bourn. Teams just don't value Lohse's skill set of pitching to contact.

Also, his agent probably screwed up and rejected better offers, then brought his price way down when the season was getting close to starting.

Low level prospect? First round draft picks net low level prospects?

Michael Bourn went unsigned until a month (mid February) before spring training to Cleveland, which had their first round pick protected. Swisher cost the Indians a 2nd round pick because of the previously mentioned protected first round pick (top 5).

I agree that Boras likely turned down offers he deemed too low for Lohse, but the draft pick was a huge sticking point for a lot of teams.

if they offer a QO that is all the Giants can sign him to, a 1 year deal for $14.1 million. Lincecum made it known he wanted more than that, at least 2 years, so regardless what he'd have gotten on the market,

If the Giants had offered him a QO they still could have signed him to a multi year deal. Not sure where you got this information from but it is incorrect. The QO is exactly like offering a player arbitration previously the team can still negotiate with the player for a longer term deal they are not locked in at only being able to sign the player to the QO.

Yeah, the qualifying offer is just a starting point.

David Ortiz received a qualifying offer of $13.3 million last year, then signed a two year deal for 2 years/$26million ($1 million signing bonus, $14 million in 2013, $11 million in 2014).

David Ortiz gets qualifying offer

Done deal: Big Papi in Boston for next two years

All nine players turn down qualifying offers

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

jjgott, it's not as simple as giving them a qualifying offer and them accepting. If they offered the QO and expected Lincecum to take it, he might have just bolted on principle. No player wants to have their salary dictated to them after their first few seasons

jjgott, it's not as simple as giving them a qualifying offer and them accepting. If they offered the QO and expected Lincecum to take it, he might have just bolted on principle. No player wants to have their salary dictated to them after their first few seasons

I doubt many players bolt on principal if there is a difference in money.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived