Brewer Fanatic

Price

Roderick

They should get more than they got for Shields. Any deal has to start with a team's top two prospects, and those two have to be top 100 guys. So no to any offer the Brewers could make.

I could see the Rangers (Profar and Perez), DBacks (Skaggs or Bradley and Gregorious), or Cardinals (some combination of Wacha, Martinez, and Rosenthal) making a run. Maybe Miami surprising everyone and dealing some of their dearth of prospects.

I think you're looking at Segura, Lucroy and Nelson at minimum. Yes I know two of them are established major leaguers but our farm system is so bad there's no combination we could put together that would even come close to enticing the Rays.

They aren't going to trade Price at a cost of potentially ending their recent regular-season success leading to playoff appearances. They'll need someone "impact" in return.

I would think Segura would have to be involved at a minimum. Braun isn't a fit in that market.

I would think that Nelson, Thornburg, Morris, and Aoki/Davis would be a fair deal. Talking about a potential #2, a potential #3, a solid OF, and a potential DH/1b

I'm sorry that's just not even close to getting it done. Look at what Shields, a lesser pitcher than Price got them.

Myers - Way better than anything you're offering

Odorizzi - On par with Nelson

Montgomery - Really high ceiling, kind of a wild card with his injury history

Leonard - Meh, Davis is better but that doesn't come close to making up for the rest of the package.

Price will fetch at least what Shields got and should fetch more.

I was viewing it as the Rays love getting back #2-4 type pitchers (they somehow get #2 type work out of them). I was actually thinking of giving them another pitcher. Nelson is going to be very good. Thornburg looks like a Rays-type #3 pitcher. I still think Morris isn't a big league starter, but I'm hoping they're fooled. I also thought giving them an above avg right-fielder that's cheap would be good.

Thornburg looks like a Rays-type #3 pitcher.

This is very much overselling Thornburg's upside. Especially in the AL & AL East, he does not project to be a #3. I'm hoping for pre-elbow-destroying-liner Dave Bush 2.0 as a best-case for Thornburg.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I would think that Nelson, Thornburg, Morris, and Aoki/Davis would be a fair deal. Talking about a potential #2, a potential #3, a solid OF, and a potential DH/1b

I'm sorry that's just not even close to getting it done. Look at what Shields, a lesser pitcher than Price got them.

Myers - Way better than anything you're offering

Odorizzi - On par with Nelson

Montgomery - Really high ceiling, kind of a wild card with his injury history

Leonard - Meh, Davis is better but that doesn't come close to making up for the rest of the package.

Price will fetch at least what Shields got and should fetch more.

I disagree with you on that. KC got 2 years of Shields. Price only has 1 left. And over a 3 year span Price really hasn't been much better if at all. Obviously his '12 was a lot better but Shields was better this year and in '11.

Also, to whoever said Profar & Perez, that's crazy. 1 year of Price isn't getting you that package.

David Price is a super two, so he has two years of Arbitration remaining. He will be a free agent after the 2015 season.

We have no shot. Odorizzi was considered a superior prospect to Peralta by most sources when both were in the Brewers system. Peralta spent all year in our rotation while Odorizzi spent pretty much the whole year in AAA for the Rays.

I disagree with you on that. KC got 2 years of Shields. Price only has 1 left. And over a 3 year span Price really hasn't been much better if at all. Obviously his '12 was a lot better but Shields was better this year and in '11.

Even if stats-wise they were the same, Price is also four years younger than Shields, which has to add more cost. How desperate are the Rays to shed the salary? If they absolutely have to deal him, then they may not get as good a deal as last go around, however. It seems to me the equation is for the Rays

Prospects + $13M savings = Price + future 1st round qualifying pick.

So you just have to figure out how much the cash and pick mean to them to equal prospects needed to swing the trade.

David Price is a super two, so he has two years of Arbitration remaining. He will be a free agent after the 2015 season.

We have no shot. Odorizzi was considered a superior prospect to Peralta by most sources when both were in the Brewers system. Peralta spent all year in our rotation while Odorizzi spent pretty much the whole year in AAA for the Rays.

I think Peralta has elevated himself to the level Odorizzi was at then with less risk. That Odorizzi was more highly regarded 3 years ago has no relevance.

WITH Gomez, it would also take Segura. The demand on Price would be that great. I am all for dealing Gomez if the return is right, but I'm not dealing two young (controlled) players for a years rental of Price no matter how good he is. It's different when they are in double-A.

Tampa is drinking kool-aid and high on it after snagging the Shields return. Look at Wil Myers' production for them? He was such a force for them down the stretch and then they also got Odorizzi and Montgomery? Tampa got 2WAR from Myers half season to Shields 4.1WAR and -2.1WAR of Davis. And Odorizzi even pitched in .3WAR so half of year 1 in that Trade Tampa is ahead to they full year KC received. There's 6more years to go to 1. So yeah Tampa will and should seek to trade Price away for that kind of successful trade get.

Besides, Tampa has Moore(future 2017trade away I'm sure)/Cobb/Archer trio to supplant Price. Add Odorizzi,Guerrieri,Colome,Romero in the works this revolving door Tampa has of trading Pitching away for high end prospects will only continue. and it's Good on Them to completely take advantage of some other teams desperation. I think the plan of action is, I don't care if we win 60games or 95 next season. I don't need to put an 85+win team on the field every season. I will either win with this plan or won't some years, but the future will always seem to point towards having an 85win team in a year or two. And that is why Lohse disappointed me to lose the draft pick for him. I'd rather see a true plan to the future and let it reap in rewards down the road rather than fly by the seat of your pants.

For KC's troubles, look at them, they won this year, it was long overdue with all the talent they kept bringing up but not getting the most of it. They probably would have won if they kept Myers/Odorizzi without Shields or at least kept excitement up with the bats they would be tossing out their everyday.

What team can take Price? Well it all depends on is it strictly Prospects or are 1st/2nd yr players on the take? Based on Prospect rankings: Seattle would be a desperate fit. Walker or Hultzen for Price? Pittsburgh could cough up some of their top line prospects. Imagine Price/Cole/Taillon/Liriano Rotation? Let's put the Dodgers out there. Pederson/Urias? Why not? Why not go with Kershaw/Price/Grienke/ and Ryu top 4?

It's crazy to look back and it's Shields/Garza/and Kazmir as their real big trades. it seems like way more but that's it. The hauls for Shields/Garza have just been that big. But by asking for a future ML SP in return they set themselves up with the position player to be able to afford to trade away a SP and not skip a beat. Archer/Odorizzi and then getting Lee/Myers position it's great idea 2 for 1 ML building. So I like the idea of Dodgers and Pederson/Urias to headline the Price deal.

You're right. I was sure he was a free agent after '14.

That changes what I said 100%. trwi is right. Price will fetch more than Shields.

mea culpa.

I "misspoke" as well but the overlying point still stands. Price's arbitration price would be a near-record as well. I forget who holds the record; Tim Lincecum I believe would have beaten the record had he not signed a deal. It'll be somewhere around 13-14 million I would think.

The Brewers do not have the prospects to get Price. You are talking about talents like Profar, Machado, Bogaerts, Trout, or Harper and it won't be just one of those players you would have to give up but two of them plus a couple of B+ and B- prospects. In the end I don't see any team giving up the talent that the Rays would need in return for Price. I believe the Rays will hold onto Price unless they are overwhelmed by someones offer.

The Brewers currently do not have anyone that profiles as an A- prospect let alone an A or an A+ grade prospect. The Brewers have a lot of B+ to B- and lower prospects but that is not enough for the Rays to even consider listening to a trade with the Brewers for Price. Hellickson is is someone that the Brewers could get from the Rays but that is about it. If I were the Brewers I would look into seeing if I could get Hellickson and Zobrist from the Rays depending on the price it would take to get both.

I agree Nate that the Brewers have zero chance of landing Price, but the names mentioned to get him only Profar I could see being dealt for Price.

I actually believe the Price for Price will be too high and the Rays will wind up settling for less than expected because in truth will the Rays pay the 14mil he's due this season on that team payroll?

Estimates are they are at 44mil team payroll with 14 players yet to fill their roster if keeping Price. It's 61mil if they exercise all the options but still need 11players to fill their roster. The most they've ever gone in to opening day payroll is 72mil. Unless all 11 players are PreArb players they will struggle to keep under 72mil. Not picking up Yunel Escobar's and David Dejesus contracts are another 10mil to work with but then 13players to fill their 25man. Zobrist is definitely remaining on that team because no Loney,Johnson,Escobar is no 1b,2b,SS and Zobrist will at least fill 1 of those positions for them. I'm thinking they pick up 1 of the 2 contracts and then try filling the other 12players working with 55mil in team payroll.

Based on what I see Tampa needs to fill:LF,1b,SS and 4RPs.

Thus why I suggested LA Dodgers being a decent fit for them.

You just wonder if other teams think like me in that Tampa won't want to push 75mil-80 in payroll if they hang on to Price and fill their 25man roster. So look at it as let them go in to the season with a payroll they don't want or they solve their payroll by trading Price but not for the asking Price they seek. Personally, I do it even dirtier if I was the team seeking Price by overbidding Tampa's FA targets raising the price more on them making them even more desperate to trade Price to afford these FA guys they target.

Tampa would be a great fit for Aoki in trade not that he's going to bring a big name like Price in return but 1.5mil and LF/CF ability will create flexibility for Tampa. Toss in Badenhop back to them maybe you can steal Blake Snell from Tampa?

Archived