Brewer Fanatic

2014 Affiliate Managing / Coaching / Training Thread

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on tagging up at second

by Nick Cole, the Tennessean

Topic: Training runners at second base to view fly balls differently based on the number of outs.

Sweet Says: "There are different situations on deep fly balls with no outs and one out. With a runner on second base and nobody out and a fly ball hit semi-deep in the gap, they always go back and tag up. But with one out, they go half way (between second and third base).

"It's a basic rule that we follow, but the runners still have to read the ball. That's a key element.

"If we hit a deep fly ball— let's say it is to the wall and it could be off the wall, but you don't know— with no outs they stay back and tag up, because if the outfielder catches the ball he's going to get to third base with one out (and have a chance to score on a sacrifice fly the next play). If there's one out, we want the runner halfway because we want them scoring. If he's tagging and it hits off the wall, then he's not going to score because it bounces right to the outfielder who was backing up the guy who was at the wall trying to catch it.

"It's a huge play. It's a play that we practice a lot from day one (in spring training) to start impressing upon our runners.

"Most people don't know that's how to play it. Especially if the ball is off the wall and the guy is tagging up and he only gets to third. It is amazing how many fans and announcers talk about it.

"I've wound up having to explain it to so many people, it's unbelievable. They say 'obviously that's bad base running,' well, no obviously it is not depending on the situation."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on using relievers

by Mack Burke, the Tennessean

A look at baseball strategy and current events from the viewpoint of Sounds manager Rick Sweet

Topic: How do you strategize using your relievers in late innings?

Sweet says: "The biggest thing you do is have (a strategy) preplanned before the game starts. Pretty much all of these guys know what their role is — that's the word we use is 'role' —and right now, everybody knows that Donovan Hand is our closer and he's available almost every night. If there were a night he wasn't available, then it would probably drop down to (Jeremy) Jeffress, (Dustin) Molleken, and (Brent) Leach, depending on what the other team has coming up at that time. But, we have long (reliever) guys, and right now, Johnnie Lowe and (Kyle) Heckathorn are our long guys; we use them, usually, from the first to the sixth inning. Then, we have our middle (relief) guys, and we designate who they are, and usually, that's Leach, Jeffress and Molleken. And, actually, we use those three guys also as our setup guys, so everybody pretty much knows where they are before we start a game and then we go in that order."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on changing signs

Mack Burke, The Tennessean

A look at baseball strategy and current events from the viewpoint of Sounds manager Rick Sweet.

Topic: Explain a situation where you would need to change pitch calls, or signs, and what do you go through with your players or coaches to get the calls changed?

Sweet says: "Sometimes you have to (change signs) right in the middle of the game. If you think the runner on second is giving signs, which is a common thing, then you'll call time and send a guy out to change the signs. They're very easy to change. So, we change signs a lot with a runner on second, and that's with the catcher to the pitcher.

"And then sometimes, if we trade somebody, and he knows all the signs, like from me to the hitters, then you have to change all your signs. Usually, you have a system set up to where if it's an indicator, all you have to do is change the indicator and everything (else) stays the same so you try to make it so the simplicity of changing (allows) to do it right in the middle of the game.

"Sometimes you do it before a series against a traded guy, but most of the time it's right in the middle of the game where you think, 'Oh, something's up, they've got our signs and we need to change them.' We simply call time and go out and change them right then because sometimes if you wait until they get into the dugout then it's too late and you've lost the game.

"When a ball is hit, all lot of times, I don't watch the ball, I watch what everybody else is doing—their reactions, where they're going, and what's happening in the game. We're looking for (sign stealing) all the time. You get a sense something's up; you see a guy at second base, who's doing stuff that normally you wouldn't see, then you say, 'All right, let's change it real quick and not even wait to take a chance.' "

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Sweet on changing pitchers

Mack Burke , the Tennessean

A look at baseball strategy and current events from the viewpoint of Sounds manager Rick Sweet

Topic: The process of deciding when it’s time to send a starting pitcher to the bullpen to pitch full-time.

Sweet Says: “That’s an organizational thing. One thing about the minor leagues, and usually in the major leagues, a manager doesn’t usually (make spontaneous personnel decisions). Usually, he has conversations with his boss—the general manager—and with the pitching coach to talk about (using other starters).

You shouldn’t make random decisions based on a couple of outings. When you get to that point, and you think you’ve really and truly tested everything a guy can do as a starter, then you see if he can pitch (out of) the bullpen, or vice versa; if a guy is a bullpen guy and he’s got four (good) pitches, then he could (possibly) be a starter. So, that’s what the minor leagues is all about; you try to find these things and see what works.

(The coaching staff) does a verbal report every night, and we all do a computer (report) that goes out to everybody in the organization every night; you don’t miss a report. (The organization) knows everything that goes on, and nothing is hidden; plus, they can get all the box scores and day-to-day (stats). So, (rotation changes) are day-to-day; we don’t make snap decisions, we talk about it. But, the pitching coach has a ton of involvement with the pitching as far as recommendations and ideas.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Sweet on holding base runners

Mack Burke, the Tennessean

A look at baseball strategy and current events from the viewpoint of Sounds manager Rick Sweet…

Topic: Pitchers holding base runners

Sweet says: "Well, we always have a plan; you always have a basic plan. The number one priority is the quickness of our pitchers to home plate. We want (the deliveries of) our pitchers to be under 1.35 seconds; once they have that, and if they're around 1.28 or 1.30 (seconds), that's going to keep the average runners from stealing, and it gives the catcher an opportunity (to throw out a base stealer).

"It's with the speed-burners that you have to (be quicker with). And, there's various ways that we (work quicker). Some guys have to use a slide step or quick step if (their delivery) is a regular 1.40 to try to get their time down to 1.20 or 1.25, and that's with the faster runners. And, then, after that, we vary the times as far as coming set and (making the delivery), and it puts a lot of added pressure on the runner. We throw over; we step off; we do a hold where we just hold the ball until, finally, the hitter calls for time. We do all kinds of things, and we not only do it with runners on first, but we have to do it with runners on second.

"We vary the number of looks back to a runner on second, and you have to vary it to keep the guy honest. So there's a lot of things that come into play, but most of them we don't control and we want the pitcher to learn how to (control the running game without the help of the dugout) because that's a part of learning to get a feel for the game.

"And, what you want from your catcher is a time of under two (seconds) flat from the time he catches the ball until the time that (a middle infielder) catches the ball at second base.

"So, you've got the 1.3, or so, seconds with the pitcher and under two seconds flat with the catcher, so we've got 3.3 seconds to get the ball from the pitchers first movement to second base to throw out a runner. A good throw (in that time) would get your average base runner."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on sending runners

Mack Burke, The Tennessean

Topic: Explain your philosophy or strategy behind sending certain runners home based on what any given scoring situation calls for.

Sweet says: "You look at a variety of things. No. 1, how many outs are there? With two outs, you send a guy almost every time; you take your chance. Before that, you need to know the speed of your runner, and also, how good of a base runner the guy is, because some guys are much better at reading (the path of) the ball more than others.

"Once a ball is hit, my first instinct is to look at the runner to see if he reacted one way or the other. If he has to stop and look at the ball then he's not going to score, so then I realize (the odds) may be against us scoring. Then, I look to see how the outfielder approaches the ball. Some outfielders are very good at (charging in on the ball) hard. ...

"So, you look at the speed of the base runner, the intelligence of the base runner, the jump the runner got, and then, you go to the outfielder and (take into account) the strength of his arm and what type of jump he had, if he got after the ball good.

"For me, it comes right down to trying to get as far down the (third base) line as I can towards home plate, because the deeper you go, the more time you have to make a (base-running call) decision.

"The number of outs has a lot to do with (my base running call decisions). You never want a guy thrown out with no outs and very seldom thrown out with one out. With two outs, you send a guy home most of the time and take your chance and hope the other team messes up."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on keeping players focused

The Tennessean

A look at baseball strategy and current events from the viewpoint of Sounds manager Rick Sweet…

Topic: Explain how you keep a first-place Triple-A ballclub focused when there are so many major-league call-ups during the latter parts of a season.

Sweet says: "I use the roster flux as an incentive. I hope all the fans realize that the players love Nashville and they want to be here, but (the overall goal) is for them to reach the big leagues.

"It keeps the players motivated (when they see roster moves to the big leagues). Getting guys called up can be a good thing. (For a first-place minor league club) the only time it's not a good thing is when guys are getting called up and you're not getting solid replacements.

"We recently lost (Jeremy) Jeffress (July 21), but we're getting a pitcher back in (Rob) Wooten, who has done very, very well (in Nashville and at the big-league level), and should be able to come down and fill his shoes.

"But the motivation is there because (the players want to be called up next). Being in first place (provides) motivation within itself. Most of these guys have not been in first place like we have for most of the year, and it's fun, it's exciting, and it keeps the adrenaline going."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Via the Voice of the Helena Brewers, Dustin Daniel:

Helena has added a coach to the staff. Kenny Dominguez joins the coaching staff as a bench coach. Kenny was originally slated to be a coach with the Timber Rattlers, but was sidelined after hip surgery. The last coaching position he held was with the Huntsville Stars in 2013.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on managing rain delays

The Tennessean

Topic: Explain how you manage the team after rain delays and during the subsequent doubleheaders that may result from cancellations.

Sweet says: "The pitching part of it is easy because (every pitcher) is supposed to be ready to pitch anyway. And, usually you have, like we have designated on this club and every club I've had, a spot starter. (Kyle) Heckathorn and Johnnie Lowe both have gotten spot starts for us this year, either in a doubleheader or (in the case) where a starter gets rained out early — (Heckathorn or Lowe) will come back and start (the next game).

"Position player-wise, we play every day anyway, so when you get a rainout, it's really kind of a bonus. You'll pay for it by having to play a doubleheader, but in the minor leagues, we only play seven-inning games in doubleheaders.

"If a rain delay lasts 30 to 45 minutes, then the starting pitcher (will be pulled). We won't send him back out; that's too long and that's how people get hurt. The biggest thing you'll hear me say (when there's rain coming) is: 'I don't want to lose my starter.' When we start a game and we only play one inning and both teams lose their starter, then they have to go to the bullpen; that's when people get hurt. That's when I get mad."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Sounds manager Rick Sweet on game-day routines

Topic: Explain your routine during home game days.

Sweet says: "Well, I get up in the morning and usually the first thing I do is get my coffee rolling.

"I start looking at lineups, I start looking at matchups and I start looking at what I want to do for the day. If it's a 7 o'clock game — a regular, normal day — I get up around 8 o'clock ... I don't go to bed until (around) 2 a.m., so basically, I get four or five hours of sleep at night.

"I get up and start looking over stats — numbers and preparing what I want to do for the day — (so) I have a pretty good idea of who I'm going to play and what we're going to see ahead of time, and then I put a lineup together. ...

"Usually, I come to the ballpark at about 11 a.m. to 12 o'clock every day. I get here and that's when the stats start coming in, and I can check updated stats and look at the league and where we stand.

"We go outside and we usually start (batting practice and preparation) at 1:30 p.m. or 2 o'clock for a 7 o'clock start. I watch (everyone) just to see what's going on, and I talk with the (players) that I need to talk to (in order to) prepare for the game. ...

"The easiest part of my day is the game."

Archived