Brewer Fanatic

Kevin Towers is losing it.

endaround

This is, I guess strange is the word. MLB should fine him and be ready to suspend DBacks and the team's management right and left next season.

http://arizonasports.com/42/1668458/Arizona-Diamondacks-GM-Its-going-to-be-an-eye-for-an-eye

edit:For those who don't want to read it, basically Towers want his pitchers to throw at guys. And not just in retaliation for hitting his players. His big complaint is that no Dodgers were hit after they torched the DBacks pitching staff for 6 home runs.

I prefer his approach rather than the Ken Macha write a letter to the commissioner approach.

Like it or not this is how Major League baseball works. Until serious fines or suspensions are handed down this is how it's done. We like to rag on TLR and the Cardinals for their antics but you know what? They work and rarely is any kind of discernible punishment given.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I never understood throwing at a guy for hitting too many home runs. That's something a third grader does.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

There is throwing at a guy for what they did and there is throwing at guys to change what they will do in the future. I think if a team is teeing off on pitches the pitcher has to do something to stop it. If hitting them gets them out of their comfort zone pitchers should do it. That has nothing to do with being mad at the hitters for what they did. It is about not letting them continue to do it.
There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

There is throwing at a guy for what they did and there is throwing at guys to change what they will do in the future. I think if a team is teeing off on pitches the pitcher has to do something to stop it. If hitting them gets them out of their comfort zone pitchers should do it. That has nothing to do with being mad at the hitters for what they did. It is about not letting them continue to do it.

And I think that's silly. Go inside if you have to, intentionally walk him if you want, but there's no need to risk injuring a guy because he's good. Eddie Matthews hit four homers in a game once (almost five I believe) and the opposing team drilled him in the head causing him to miss significant time. That's just moronic.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

It's one thing to make it a team "ideal" and "mantra" for the upcoming season. It's a complete different thing when you make it public knowledge.

I understand the "need" to throw inside every now and then to keep hitters off-balance and honest. But if you're just going to drill hitters because your feelings are hurt in a blowout loss, then that's just plain infantile.

I am a Diamondbacks fan as well as a Brewer fan but this could make me lose interest in watching the D-Backs any more than I have to.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

And I think that's silly. Go inside if you have to, intentionally walk him if you want, but there's no need to risk injuring a guy because he's good. Eddie Matthews hit four homers in a game once (almost five I believe) and the opposing team drilled him in the head causing him to miss significant time. That's just moronic.

Whoever said throw at the head?

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

It's one thing to make it a team "ideal" and "mantra" for the upcoming season. It's a complete different thing when you make it public knowledge.

Yeah, I'm sure this type of thing is discussed often behind the scenes in baseball, but it's kind of dumb of Towers to go on public record saying they are going to purposely hit batters next year. That in itself would be just cause for umpires to eject Diamondback pitchers early and often.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Yeah, I'm sure this type of thing is discussed often behind the scenes in baseball, but it's kind of dumb of Towers to go on public record saying they are going to purposely hit batters next year. That in itself would be just cause for umpires to eject Diamondback pitchers early and often.

I think this is more of a shot at Gibson and the coaching staff than any real feelins he has on the matter.

Hardballtalk pointed out today that Dbacks pitchers actually hit more players than Dbacks hitters got hit in 2013. In fact the Dbacks only legitimate power hitter, Goldschmidt, got hit a whopping 3 times all year. Wade Miley was the starting pitcher for all three games.

Perhaps we should give them Hellweg for Miley. If the goal is to hit more people then Hellweg is definitely Towers' guy.

I think Towers has more or less imagined up a controversy here.

So Ian Kennedy throw a few balls at la dodgers heads in a pivotal early game this season. All he'll breaks loose and several coaches get involved / suspended in fights. Next thing which happens is LA goes on a winning terror (still ongoing). The DBacks fade. And ultimately IK is traded to SD. Funny that, Towers said hell trade players off the team if they don't retaliate. Somehow after that game, Kennedy lost his mojo after nearly exploding Z Greinke head.

Whoever said throw at the head?

Right. Because nobody has ever missed time from getting hit in the hand, or wrist, or knee or something....

I have to say that I really enjoyed it when Sheets beaned Bonds. I remember he opened an at bat with two ridiculously inside pitches that nearly hit Bonds in the butt. After two failed attempts, the Brewers shifted gears and just intentionally walked Bonds...in the first inning.

For the record, that was Joe Adcock that hit the 4 HRs and a double against the Dodgers in 1954 and then got beaned the next day.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived