Brewer Fanatic

Casey McGehee back as a Brewer in 2014?

TURBO
Since his two good years account for half his career plate appearances, you can't completely discount them nor can you conclude he won't ever return to that form at age 31. You also can't disregard his production in the Japanese league either.

The Japanese league is like AAA, hooray for being productive there? You seem to be drawn to players of limited talent (relative to their peers, not you or I) who overachieve, not just on the big league level, but in the minors as well.

While Melvin is fond of continually recycling the same players, and I would guess that a big part of that is he becomes too attached to his players, I'm certainly not going to be excited about the same names coming back around just because a player was once productive and is a good guy. At least all of the TX guys were "new" to us, but unless McGehee is a serious upgrade over what we have at 1B, what's the point?

It's no different than the K-Rod claim people like to make that he's "single handedly restocking the farm system" when he's not and in fact the player he was traded for isn't even playing baseball right now. Like many things discussed on this site people will favor the devil they know rather than the one they don't know and I don't think Melvin is any different.

The bottom line here should be if a player's production will be *that* much better than the guys he's replacing to justify his cost? I firmly believe that for many of these issues being discussed the perceived marginal upgrades aren't worth the cost. I use the word "perceived" because in many cases I think the root issue is what I discussed in the paragraph above and the production may in fact be a wash if both players were given an equal opportunity.

Who ever said seriously that K-Rod was "restocking the farm system?" And we did get a good prospect back for him. We paid ~1 million for a very good half a year from a player who we then traded for a much needed corner IF'er with power. If anyone said he's "single handedly restocking the farm system," I'm guessing they did so in jest and you missed it. In any event, that signing is looking like a fantastic one and he could net us an even better reliever this year should the Brewers find themselves in a position to deal him.

As for McGehee, he's cooled off, but he was a good risk for the Marlins at 1 year and 1.1 million. He still might be an option later in the year if Reynolds or Ramirez have to deal with any issues. Of course the makeup of our team would have to change.

But I'm with Briggs. I don't understand the disdain for this guy. A lot of people loved him on this board when he played way over his head. Then he came and played poorly and he's being put on the same level as Yuni? He could be a serviceable guy off the bench, but little more, and I doubt he'd be signed for much more. I also think the "Melvin retread," thing is a bit overblown. It's not like we've stocked our roster with these terrible Ranger players or former Brewers who've been terrible. We've brought a lot of guys in from a lot of teams as organizational filler. I think the former Rangers tend to stand out a bit more.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Again it's not like McGehee's poor play in 2011 cost them anything either. They won the division by 6 games. He wasn't on a long term deal. His fall off led to Ramirez signing that caused plenty of angst but turned out okay. Would a productive McGehee helped in the postseason? Not the way the pitching staff was getting drilled by St. Louis.

• 1 month later...
How has Ramirez played the last couple weeks? Yeah that's why many didn't like the signing.

Ramirez has been worth 35.6 million dollars during his time in Milwaukee with 4 months to go on a 1st place team.

And given his career OPS through May is under .800, and in the final 4 months of the season it's .847, .882, .912 and and .847, I wouldn't think any struggles in early on in the year was why people didn't like Rammy. The deals almost certainly going to turn out to be a good deal as a whole from the Brewers POV.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Archived