Brewer Fanatic

Pujols suing Jack Clark over steroid accusations

reillymcshane
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

A while back Albert Pujols threatened to sue Jack Clark about comments he made regarding steroids and PEDs. Essentially, Clark said the Cardinals trainer told him he was shooting up Pujols (the trainer denies ever saying that). Now, Albert is suing.

I thought this would just go away. Clark lost his job for the comments. But now the lawsuit.

What's interesting to me is that Clark never backed down from the statements. On Aug. 10, Clark tweeted: "I completely stand by the story I told 8 days ago about conversations 13 years ago w/ Mihlfeld. He will never admit it."

For Pujols sake, he better hope it doesn't open a can worms. If it comes out there might be something to the accusations, he just looks likes a liar who was willing to destroy others to save his reputation (sound like anyone in Milwaukee).

That said, I would think Pujols would be crazy to pursue the lawsuit if he thought there was any chance that would happen. But we'll see.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/mlb/story/_/id/9769100/albert-pujols-los-angeles-angels-sues-jack-clark-steroid-accusations

It seeks unspecified damages and asks for a determination and declaration that Clark's statements are false.

that last part is probably the main reason he's filing suit, especially since Clark never took back what he said

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

It will be interesting to see the media reaction if there is any truth to Pujols juicing. Will he get the same treatment Braun and A-Rod got or will it be non-issue?

If Pujols was found to be juicing you can be damn sure the media will go crazy like the Braun and Arod treatment.

It will be interesting to see the media reaction if there is any truth to Pujols juicing. Will he get the same treatment Braun and A-Rod got or will it be non-issue?

If Pujols was found to be juicing you can be damn sure the media will go crazy like the Braun and Arod treatment.

Yeah, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be at least as big, if not a bigger story than Braun and Arod.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

The discovery on this case should be interesting. A lot of things can come out of discovery in a defamation case, particularly where both sides have a lot of money to seek the production of e-mails and obtain sworn testimony under oath in depositions. A lot of times, the party filing the case comes to regret it, especially when the attorneys start justifiably delving into their private communications.

Considering Pujols is a public figure, this case will be really hard to prove. He will have to show that Jack Clark acted with actual malice in making the statement. In other words, Pujols will have to prove that Jack Clark knew the falsity of the statement or acted with reckless disregard of the truth. This is very very difficult.

Pujols, who has more money than he knows what to do with, is likely hoping to make a quick strike to convince Jack Clark that he would rather retract and apologize than pay the legal defense costs.

Yeah, I can't imagine why it wouldn't be at least as big, if not a bigger story than Braun and Arod.

Especially since he is filing a suit about it. At this point, just about anyone good juicing is going to rate no more that a dejected sigh, but an over the top false denial will get a much bigger reaction.

On the other hand, if he is clean, what is his best course of action? Just a denial is hard to believe anymore, and sincerity can be faked.

The "actual malice" standard refers to Jack Clark's state of mind with respect to the truth or falsity of the statement. Basically, he can only be held liable if he made it up out of thin air without any evidence or facts on which he relied, no matter how flimsy. If Clark heard a rumor from someone who he believed was telling the truth, that would be enough to avoid a claim of actual malice and, therefore, a claim of defamation.

The media loves to bag on ARod and Braun was public enemy number one in the biogenisis "news." Every of the stories was RODRIGUEZ AND BRAUN and a bunch of other guys TO BE SUSPENDED!!! I understand they were the big names involved but there were a bunch of all stars too that you never heard a peep about.

Now we have Mr. Baseball Jesus Albert Pujols possibly connected to PED's. I can't believe that the "media" will pound him like they did Braun and Arod. He was a Cardinal. He did it the right way. He adopted his wife's disabled son. I just can't see him being treated as poorly as everyone else was.

I would guess that right now the media will totally be on Pujols' side (especially talking heads like those on ESPN shows) because hey, he's royalty and if he's going so far as to sue, he must be clean.

But if it comes out that he was juicing, hoo boy. I don't think he will be eviscerated like Braun was because he's simply loved more than Braun, but the general commotion will be bigger.

let's see, Pujols was the best hitter in baseball for close to a decade during his stint with the Cardinals - during that time he had any number of injuries (elbow, leg, and foot come to mind immediately) that he seemed to play through while compiling ridiculous stats. Some of those injuries appeared rather serious, but Pujols was able to 'battle' through them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took PEDs that helped him recover faster or play through all of his nagging injuries.

Ironic that the Cards were willing to let him walk instead of signing him to one more mega deal, and as soon as the ink dried on the paper in Anaheim, he's been a shell of his former self and those nagging injuries have turned into chronic ones that keep him off the field. Signing that big FA contract seems like the ideal time to lay off the PEDs, especially since Braun's failed test occurred during the same offseason Pujols signed his deal.

let's see, Pujols was the best hitter in baseball for close to a decade during his stint with the Cardinals - during that time he had any number of injuries (elbow, leg, and foot come to mind immediately) that he seemed to play through while compiling ridiculous stats. Some of those injuries appeared rather serious, but Pujols was able to 'battle' through them. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he took PEDs that helped him recover faster or play through all of his nagging injuries.

Don't forget who was hanging around/"hitting" coach as well. Good ol' Big Mac. Just another thing to think about.

Usually I don't like innuendo, but I live in StL and have to deal with Cardinals fans 24/7, plus this thought has occurred to me. It's biased and unfair, but I'll toss it out there: We're constantly talking about how the Cardinals, especially the LaRussa Cardinals, made players better than they were before or after they left. That might just be the mark of a great organization. LaRussa, in Oakland, basically was the midwife at the birth of the steroid era. Maybe he just didn't know what was up. But you have to wonder what 2 plus 2 really makes.

Archived