Brewer Fanatic

Dusty Baker fired by Reds; Bryan Price named manager (post 15)

Invader3K

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Makes playoffs, but loses a one-game playoff. Gets fired.

I mean........I think Dusty Baker is a guy who doesn't really 'get' the SABRE stuff, he's not the best manager out there, but it always seems like his guys like playing for him. He's one of those "gets max effort" type managers. I don't know what that counts for in W's and L's, but I'm sure it counts for something. I'll be surprised if he's not managing somewhere else next year.

It has more to do with them losing 5 straight to the Mets and Pirates at the end of the regular season than the one they lost to Pittsburgh plus what was for them a gut wrenching loss to the Brewers when Sean Halton took all time favorite Brewer patsy Zach Duke deep walk off style to cap a huge comeback.

So twice now in his career, the turning point for Dusty's tenure rested on two unlikely guys. Steve Bartman in Chicago, and Sean Halton.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I thought Dave Shoenfield at ESPN did a nice job of summing up why Dusty needed to go:

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/41183/it-was-time-for-dusty-baker-to-go

It comes down to Baker being 3-7 in playoff series in his career. Shoenfield says that, 'Baker's flaw in the postseason is managing like it's still the regular season'. He then goes through examples of Dusty's mistakes in the postseason (such as letting pitchers in too long).

I had to Google, and of course this exists:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ondAXNjvH2c/TWUguXyYQKI/AAAAAAAAGqU/kdHrN7Fqt2M/s1600/DustysDugoutDice.jpg

You are probaly going to see the same thing for Ron. Except it will be Yuni on the dice.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Baker has been lucky enough to manage some incredibly talented teams (I.E. Sosa, Wood, Prior, Bonds, Votto, etc) and for the most part failed to live up to expectations. I would hate to see what he could do to a mediocre team like the Brewers. He is like the Ant-Yost. Yost generally turned horrible teams into mediocre teams. Baker turned terrific teams into mediocre teams; with obviously one exception.

Bryan Price has been named manager.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9861173/reports-cincinnati-reds-promote-pitching-coach-bryan-price-manager

looking at the reds fan message boards, they seem to not be surprised and more relieved it wasn't Riggleman. I don't think it was a bad hiring, but it shows how few decent managerial candidates there are. There really isn't that hot free agent or young manager that everyone is trying to get. Seems to be that way the last few off seasons.

Archived