Brewer Fanatic

Green and Gamel to waivers; Gamel claimed by Cubs; Gamel non-tendered by Cubs

Corey Hart has an OPS+ of 130, 130, and 120 at the major league level from 2010-2012. That counts for a lot. Sure, he could be done due to his knees but at least he has a record of success at the MLB level to point to. Gamel does not.

Correct and I completely understand endaround's point when he made that statement about Gamel. When I read it I immediately thought that a similar argument could be made for Hart. That's all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like Taylor Green is coming back, or at least has a chance to come back having agreed to a minor league deal. I really hope things work out for Green. He'd provide nice insurance should Ramirez or whoever plays first base goes down for an extended period.

• 1 month later...

Chris Cotillo ‏@ChrisCotillo 1m

Source: #Cubs non-tender Mat Gamel

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Honestly, I would bring him back. I know I would rather see Gamel than Francisco.

I feel the same way. Shoot a NRI his way for Spring Training & see if he accepts. If he can play 1B & the corner OF spots as a sub/pinch-hitter, I'd love to see him retained.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I kind of feel like I don't want to go back on the "Gamel hurt yet again" merry-go-round at this point.

There'd be no downside in picking him up... you'd rather continue on the 'Juan Francisco is terrible' merry-go-round?

I kind of feel like I don't want to go back on the "Gamel hurt yet again" merry-go-round at this point.

There'd be no downside in picking him up... you'd rather continue on the 'Juan Francisco is terrible' merry-go-round?

I think you mean terrible-go-round.

If I were Gamel I would not sign with the Brewers. I would go somewhere I have a chance to start or at least a good chance to make the MLB club. It is clear the Brewers don't think much of him. I don't think he would get a fair shot at this point. If all else was even the Brewers would pick the other guy whomever that may be.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

If I were Gamel I would not sign with the Brewers. I would go somewhere I have a chance to start or at least a good chance to make the MLB club. It is clear the Brewers don't think much of him. I don't think he would get a fair shot at this point. If all else was even the Brewers would pick the other guy whomever that may be.

The Brewers gave him the 1B job twice in 2 years and he got injured both times. Not sure how much more the Brewer could have done.

Such a place does not exist for guys in their late 20's coming off two lost seasons with no significant major league track record. He has to prove a. he's healthy and b. he's retained his skills. He's going to have to that at AAA somewhere. I don't think the Brewers have a AAA spot for him so I doubt they'll have interest. I think being non-tendered by a team with one of the thinnest rosters in baseball gets the message across.

There was a time when people said Molitor was hurt too much also.

the difference is that Gamel has yet to even play a full season in the bigs and is getting that label

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
The talent poor Brewers, with a need at 1B dropped him off the 40-man. The Cubs just non-tendered him. He might find someone that would give him a minimum MLB deal, but I don't think its a lock. This makes me think that his knees haven't recovered as they should have.

There was a time when people said Molitor was hurt too much also.

Are you seriously comparing Green and Gamel to Molitor?

They haven't proved anything, and in all honesty, I doubt they will ever be what Brewers fans had hoped...

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

That's quite the leap, TLB. I would rather see the Brewers re-sign Corey Hart, and/or give Hunter Morris the opportunity. Gamel had more than enough chances in Milwaukee. I'm not saying it's his fault he repeatedly got hurt, but that was the situation.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

That's quite the leap, TLB. I would rather see the Brewers re-sign Corey Hart, and/or give Hunter Morris the opportunity. Gamel had more than enough chances in Milwaukee. I'm not saying it's his fault he repeatedly got hurt, but that was the situation.

This I agree with.

Hart is probably our best option, and at this point, we will see just how serious he was about playing here for less money/hometown discount/etc.

I'd much rather roll with Hart or Morris. The page has been turned on Gamel and Green, I'd rather leave it that way and let someone else ride that merry go round. Outside of injury, Hart is a pretty safe option.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Corey Hart is the best option in my opinion as well. I would also make a deal for Logan Morrison to have as a fallback option as I think Morris could use one more full season in MiLB before coming up. While I wouldn't mind Gamel coming back, I sure want no part of Juan Francisco at 1B in 2014.

Fair point. Guess I've just sort of forgotten about Hart at this point... which is bad on my part.

Archived