Brewer Fanatic

Green and Gamel to waivers; Gamel claimed by Cubs; Gamel non-tendered by Cubs

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Cubs can take a risk on guys like Gamel. Brewers can't.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

Well the Cubs do have a spot open at 3B, after the crown jewel of the Garza trade, Mike Olt hit .168 at AAA.

I can't imagine anyone using up a major league roster spot on guy who hasn't seen live pitching since May 2012 and who has yet to establish major league credentials and isn't very good defensively. It would be one thing if he had options. They must see him as a PH.

I thought for sure some AL team would take a flier on him on a minor league deal..

That's not to say he'll stay on the Cub roster till March though. Ask Jeff Bianchi.

if green clears waivers, he remains property of the brewers as this is the first time he's been outrighted and he has minor league options remaining.

i'm reading reports that green can elect free agency if not claimed. is it due to minor league service time?

he's never been outrighted off the 40-man before . . . isn't he forced to accept the minor league assignment?

They haven't released them yet; they have just waived them, similar to waivers after the trade deadline. If they clear waivers they have the option of accepting a minor league assignment and staying with the organization or becoming free agents.

This is the perfect time to do this, and probably a strategic move too. All teams are probably under a roster crunch with having to add guys back who were on the 60-day DL and figuring out who to protect from the Rule 5 draft so right now the chances of getting claimed are probably the smallest. Because they were waived another team would have to claim them and add them to their 40-man roster and there probably aren't many 40-man slots open now.

Green I hope is back - they could use his left-handed stick and defensive flexibility. But like others have said, you have no value if you're not healthy enough to play.

I think someone just picked up Gamel...

good luck Gamel, hope the injury bug leaves you alone, and hope you never find success against the brewers

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

also, was going to say earlier today how I wouldnt be surprised if Gamel goes the route of McGehee, gets waived and then claimed by the Cubs, becomes the Cubs 3b and has a great year. womp womp

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Why is this? The Brewers have a chance? The Cards and Pirates are still in the playoffs, and the Reds made it in. Will the Brewers in 2014 be anywhere close to them? I highly doubt it. The Brewers are more like the Cubs than they are the other 3 teams.

Seems they preferred de La Torre and Ravin. What we don't know and the Brewers do is the state of Gamel and Green's health. I believe Gamel has been working out in Arizona and maybe the Brewers know something.

MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors 43s

Brewers Waive Mat Gamel, Taylor Green http://bit.ly/1bvWr9V #mlb

Way to trade these guys when they had upside DM. Oh wait....

You know, at SOME point, you actually have to field a team with SOME home grown players. So while it's REALLY easy to sit back and complain that we didn't trade Mat Gamel and Taylor Green when they had value, it's just ridiculous. I'm not sure how much value Taylor Green really ever had in a trade however. Does Melvin also get blamed for not foresee Gamel's freak knee injuries?

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Well the Cubs do have a spot open at 3B, after the crown jewel of the Garza trade, Mike Olt hit .168 at AAA.

I can't imagine anyone using up a major league roster spot on guy who hasn't seen live pitching since May 2012 and who has yet to establish major league credentials and isn't very good defensively. It would be one thing if he had options. They must see him as a PH.

I thought for sure some AL team would take a flier on him on a minor league deal..

That's not to say he'll stay on the Cub roster till March though. Ask Jeff Bianchi.

I'm guessing the Cubs aren't looking at Mat Gamel as a pinch hitting option. I don't think any team picks up a player at this time of the year with designed plans to use him as a pinch hitter.

I think it's pretty simple. The guy had a lot of talent, a great swing, showed some offensive ability and he now is a zero risk player that they're not giving up anything for to bring him in and see if he has anything.

Not every player takes the normal path to the major leagues. Some guys have bad breaks and don't establish themselves until their in their late 20's. Chris Davis, David Ortiz or players who play a smaller role like Mike Carp.....

That said, hate to see him go. I really thought he was going to be a good hitter. He has a beautiful left handed swing and had some athleticism.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Why is this? The Brewers have a chance? The Cards and Pirates are still in the playoffs, and the Reds made it in. Will the Brewers in 2014 be anywhere close to them? I highly doubt it. The Brewers are more like the Cubs than they are the other 3 teams.

LOL OK

75-87 with your best player suspended and Yuni B and the awful cast of characters at first. Pitching was decent, but is it going to be better next year? Bullpen was marginally decent. A-Ram is older, if they resign Hart, he's no sure thing. And what could they trade to get better? I can't see much better than 75 wins again next year. Especially with Roenicke at the helm.

What order did waiver claims work for this? Worst record to best? Did Gamel really get claimed that early?

I would have kept Gamel...no need IMO to throw in the towel on a player at this stage (I am under the assumption a roster spot wasn't needed). The injury bug was very unfortunate for him...a shame really.

What order did waiver claims work for this? Worst record to best? Did Gamel really get claimed that early?

I would have kept Gamel...no need IMO to throw in the towel on a player at this stage (I am under the assumption a roster spot wasn't needed). The injury bug was very unfortunate for him...a shame really.

I believe worst to best in the same league, and then worst to first in the other league. What I don't know is whether they are using 2012 or 2013 records at this point in the season.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I am pretty upset about this move. I still think that Gamel can be a good player at the MLB level. If the Brewers needed a roster spot, they should have sold Francisco to the Yakult Swallows.

Francisco has shown he can hit with power at the big league level, Gamel has not plus he is two years older. We often mention Francisco's attitude but Gamel has a bad reputation as well, fair or not.

Haudricourt tweeted Green cleared Waivers and was outrighted off the 40-man roster

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I think it's pretty simple. The guy had a lot of talent, a great swing, showed some offensive ability and he now is a zero risk player that they're not giving up anything for to bring him in and see if he has anything.

He isn't really a "no risk" player is he? Aren't the Cubs basically going to arbitration now and if they do cut him during spring training he still gets paid a 1/3 of the contract or something?... Just wondering? I agree that the type of money we are talking about is basically "no risk" to the Cubs.

Put me down in the I would rather have dropped one of the relievers recently picked up for the 40 man or Francisco before I cut ties with Gamel. But I obviously have no inside info, so hopefully they know something about his health or attributes that the Cubs don't.

Even if they kept him, and dumped Francisco, there was no way the Brewers would go to Arizona with Gamel assured of a roster spot. If they don't sign Hart, they still are extremely likely to add a 1B from outside the organization and will also give Morris, Halton and Lucroy time there in spring. Prior to Hart's injury last winter, Gamel was talked about as depth at corner OF spots. The play of Davis and Gindl was impressive enough not to consider somebody who's missed almost 2 full season. In reality they did him a favor, as he needed a place that would give him a longer spring look.

Gamel is roster fodder for the Cubs until their prospects start forcing their way into the big league lineup - they intended to use Ian Stewart in the same way until he became a prick to them. Seriously, a guy who hasn't played in two seasons because of knee problems isn't someone the Brewers should worry about letting go. Gamel needs a change of scenery and the Brewers most definitely needed to move on from him. No way he was going to fit into the Brewers' outfield plans next season, and IMO he never had the bat to hold down a fulltime job as a 1B, nor the glove to stick at 3rd...at least for a team looking to contend.

Agreed Craig.

I can see Homer's point if he's looking at it from the angle of money. The Brewers are over-budget so they need to spare $1MM anywhere they can, while the Cubs have plenty of money. However, I'd say that the Cubs will have a better record over the next five years than the Brewers, so I don't think the Brewers are in more of a position to throw away young-ish talent than the Cubs.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Archived