Brewer Fanatic

Green and Gamel to waivers; Gamel claimed by Cubs; Gamel non-tendered by Cubs

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/10/brewers-waive-mat-gamel-taylor-green.html

The Brewers have placed Mat Gamel and Taylor Green on waivers, a source tells Adam McCalvy of MLB.com.

This doesn't make any sense. I would guess they are hoping they will clear and they can be taken off the40 man roster. I think it's possible for Green but probably not for Gamel.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Green surprises me, as I thought he and Bianchi would be the backup IF next year. This may mean that there is a chance we'll have both Gennett and Weeks on the MLB roster (I know, it's early) or that Francisco will be back.

I did think that Gamel had a good chance of being waived, as he's going into his first arby year and would likely cost $1MM or so. Money's going to be tight for the Brewers this season, and apparently they don't want to take the risk of spending that $1MM on Gamel.

I wish the best for both of these guys, as I've followed them a long time, and had hopes in the past that they would both play big roles for the Brewers.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Not sure how Gamel wouldn't clear waivers, since he has a knee that keeps collapsing and he did nothing at the major league level that would cause another organization to actively pursue him. Unfortunately for Gamel his knee problems started at the worst time for his big league aspirations. He in all likelihood will end up in Japan or as a non-roster invitee to a camp somewhere. That may end up being in Milwaukee, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers just want to move forward.

As for Green, he's got the same issues Gamel has with both injuries and ineffective play at the big league level. Sure they haven't had a ton of AB's to establish themselves, but they're getting in line with countless other players who had small windows to make a splash in the majors but failed due to any number of reasons.

Both are in their late 20's coming off serious injuries with no real record of accomplishment beyond AAA. I can't say I'm surprised. Its the nature of the game. Melvin said it yesterday. You have to stay healthy and on the field. That's true in any professional sport.

Hart isn't exactly succeeding at staying healthy and on the field. What will he cost if he is really cheap, 5 million or so? I don't have a lot of faith in him outperforming what you would have gotten from Gamel and not much of him staying healthy. Once he's signed though, they'll keep him regardless. If Gamel had a good Spring, and sputtered for a month and half or so they could just cut him especially if Morris or whoever is doing well.
Formerly AKA Pete

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Gamel I'm not surprised about. He's missed two year in a row and was set for arbitration if we had kept him. And I don't think the team was ever that thrilled about him.

Green does surprise me a little. His ability to play a decent 3B would have complimented the right handed (aging and coming off an injury) A-Ram. Same thing with Hart. He could have potentially been a decent back up. I guess the team just didn't like what they saw in 2012 when he hit poorly.

Gamel I'm not surprised about. He's missed two year in a row and was set for arbitration if we had kept him. And I don't think the team was ever that thrilled about him.

Green does surprise me a little. His ability to play a decent 3B would have complimented the right handed (aging and coming off an injury) A-Ram. Same thing with Hart. He could have potentially been a decent back up. I guess the team just didn't like what they saw in 2012 when he hit poorly.

I'm not surprised about either, but of the two i'd have kept Gamel over Green, even with back to back ACL tears.

It's true that Green only got 140 big league at bats, but he looked terribly overmatched in all of them.

I think this was just a matter of Melvin not wanting to cut two guys off the to 40 man just to fit two guys who were injured the entire year on. A numbers game more than anything.

I can't imagine Green seeing a whole lot of interest; but I suppose a bottom of the barrell team like MIA might take a flier. Not sure what to think of Gamel; will a team really take on a guy who has barely played in two years?

The moves kind of make sense they don't want to go to arbitration with Gamel and probably feel nobody will claim Green so they can keep him in the organization and remove him off the 40 man at the same time. Sure seems like a vote of confidence for Francisco as well.

At the last home game of 2013, the fans behind us were talking about the Brewers' logjams in the outfield and at first base. The first-base "logjam" included Green, Gamel, Hart if he is resigned, and "whoever else is left in the system." The consensus among these fans was that Juan Francisco would be long gone, as would Yuni.

Yeah, I know. I decided not to interject. These aren't casual fans, either; they've been in our loge season ticket section as long as we have, if not longer. Anyway, the 1B logjam is smaller now.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Just curious, but why were they waived? Both could have been outrighted off the 40-man roster and remained Brewers' property (although rule V eligible).

Gamel makes some sense due to his injuries and his defensive limitations (RF and 1b). Green makes a lot of sense for the same reasons, in addition to his lesser offensive potential. At least Gamel has the chance to be a plus bat. Interesting we've heard updates that Mat is resuming baseball activities, but we've heard no updates on Green

They haven't released them yet; they have just waived them, similar to waivers after the trade deadline. If they clear waivers they have the option of accepting a minor league assignment and staying with the organization or becoming free agents.

This is the perfect time to do this, and probably a strategic move too. All teams are probably under a roster crunch with having to add guys back who were on the 60-day DL and figuring out who to protect from the Rule 5 draft so right now the chances of getting claimed are probably the smallest. Because they were waived another team would have to claim them and add them to their 40-man roster and there probably aren't many 40-man slots open now.

Green I hope is back - they could use his left-handed stick and defensive flexibility. But like others have said, you have no value if you're not healthy enough to play.

You have to stay healthy and on the field

Apparently that's ALL you have to do. Just ask Juan Francisco or Yuni B. The fact that Francisco is even in the discussion for a roster spot next year disgusts me.

Remember, the reason Yuni B was signed was because of injuries. Had Green and Gamel been healthy, Gonzalez would have been the backup SS and Green the backup 2B/3B/1B and BF.net would have saved 50 pages of Yuni handwringing.

Archived