Brewer Fanatic

2013 Playoffs LATEST: "CARDS LOSE! CARDS LOSE!" Boston Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions.

As usual, the small market teams make the playoffs but are quickly eliminated. The A's are the only team left that I care about, I'm done with baseball for the year if they get eliminated. There's no fun in watching a game when you want both teams to lose.

Well it's not like they didn't have their chances.

Missed opportunities.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wish I had recorded TBS postgame last night. The way the rule read, it seems like it should've been called fan interference.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/official_rules/game_preliminaries_3.jsp

When there is spectator interference with any thrown or batted ball, the ball shall be dead at the moment of interference and the umpire shall impose such penalties as in his opinion will nullify the act of interference.

APPROVED RULING: If spectator interference clearly prevents a fielder from catching a fly ball, the umpire shall declare the batter out.

Rule 3.16 Comment: There is a difference between a ball which has been thrown or batted into the stands, touching a spectator thereby being out of play even though it rebounds onto the field and a spectator going onto the field or reaching over, under or through a barrier and touching a ball in play or touching or otherwise interfering with a player. In the latter case it is clearly intentional and shall be dealt with as intentional interference as in Rule 3.15. Batter and runners shall be placed where in the umpires judgment they would have been had the interference not occurred.

No interference shall be allowed when a fielder reaches over a fence, railing, rope or into a stand to catch a ball. He does so at his own risk. However, should a spectator reach out on the playing field side of such fence, railing or rope, and plainly prevent the fielder from catching the ball, then the batsman should be called out for the spectators interference. Example: Runner on third base, one out and a batter hits a fly ball deep to the outfield (fair or foul). Spectator clearly interferes with the outfielder attempting to catch the fly ball. Umpire calls the batter out for spectator interference. Ball is dead at the time of the call. Umpire decides that because of the distance the ball was hit, the runner on third base would have scored after the catch if the fielder had caught the ball which was interfered with, therefore, the runner is permitted to score. This might not be the case if such fly ball was interfered with a short distance from home plate.

Bold added by me. It really was a 50/50 play, and depends on the ground rules in Detroit, but clearly, his glove would have been reaching over the fence (yellow line) to catch the ball.

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

Community Moderator

Well it's not like they didn't have their chances.

Missed opportunities.

That's true to an extent, but the pitching matchups in these Game 5's have heavily favored the large market teams. Verlander looks like he is well on his way to finishing off the A's again.

Red Sox vs. Dodgers is probably what you would expect in the WS based on overall talent level.

I really hate that the Cardinals won, and worse yet, that I now have to root for the Dodgers. However, in that article, I sense a little bit of sulky east coast Yankees fan who hates the "pious midwest" and believes that there could never be anything good that could possibly come from this vast wasteland.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

There is no way I can root for the Dodger$. I have really come around on the Cardinals in terms of respecting the organization. They are about as impressive a franchise as exists in MLB. And yes, I do still hate them, but that was largely tied to TLR, & is fading away the longer he's gone. Although I guess Crapenter will be back to hate next season, & Molina isn't exactly charisma personified.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Awesome post I found:

Cardinals are in the Illuminati. they sold their baseball souls for success. Stan Musial's ghost is the ring leader, and he hired the evil Tony Larussa to steady the ship. Tony Larussa's black magic, given to him by the over seeing Musial, was given a task to guide the Cardinals to great success.

But the players would have to buy in and sell their souls too. Tony Larussa's black magic clouded the players minds and so they all sold their soul. They all gathered around in the clubhouse chanting Stan Stan he's our man if he can't do it La Russa's black magic can! That night they performed this ritual over and over again.

Jeff Weaver did it every day because he was such a terrible player, he needed Stan's spirit with him all the time.

The Blood Red Birds (that's their real names, known in there secret society) were successful from there on. Now Tony's gone, but Musial's presence is still strong, Matheny has his own witchcraft powers, and he and Stan make a deadly combination, looking to lead these poor possessed souls to another championship, a feat that would empower Matheny and Musial even more. Turning their black magic into a power so powerful, that it could give the Cardinals three championships in four years.

It's all true how else do you explain David Freese, Matt Carpenter, and Allan Craig, "BLACK MAGIC"

If that's not proof enough for you, why do you think Pujols left the TBRB's? Because he wanted a bigger contract? You can't believe that nonsense, Pujols saw the light, he wanted out of there, and of course who did he end up with? That's right the Angels. The good guys, Do you not see the correlation. Although the mighty Pujols was too great to be completely turned into an average player. Musial has cursed Pujols, which is why his numbers have plummeted, did you think it was age, haha give me a break. It was BLACK MAGIC.

The Cardinals are an evil organization, and they can't fool the world. One day they will all be brought to justice. And they will all end up in the depths of baseball hell with Bud Selig, Arod, and Braun.

But for now their reign continues, and newly upcoming Cardinal spawn of death Oscar Tavares is in the waiting, who was given some of Pujols talent from the curse, like Space Jam to rise up and become an evil Pujols.

Is Max Scherzer still lobbying for lifetime bans for PED users now that his team's only run was driven in by one? Does he refuse to shake Peralta's hand, or does his self righteousness only apply to guys who play for other teams?
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

There is no way I can root for the Dodger$. I have really come around on the Cardinals in terms of respecting the organization. They are about as impressive a franchise as exists in MLB. And yes, I do still hate them, but that was largely tied to TLR, & is fading away the longer he's gone. Although I guess Crapenter will be back to hate next season, & Molina isn't exactly charisma personified.

Once Molina and Carpenter are gone I could respect the Cards. Provided the bean ball crap stops.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Just in case you needed more reason to dislike the Cards: via @MLBStateoftheDay: @Cardinals are batting .134 in the #NLCS. That's the lowest batting average ever for a club that went up 2-0 in any series (via @EliasSports)

Man that sucks. So they can hit like crap and still win.

Way to show some life Dodgers.

Just in case you needed more reason to dislike the Cards: via @MLBStateoftheDay: @Cardinals are batting .134 in the #NLCS. That's the lowest batting average ever for a club that went up 2-0 in any series (via @EliasSports)

Man that sucks. So they can hit like crap and still win.

Way to show some life Dodgers.

Giving up two runs in 22 innings helps.

Archived