Brewer Fanatic

2013 Playoffs LATEST: "CARDS LOSE! CARDS LOSE!" Boston Red Sox 2013 World Series Champions.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone but St Louis and Boston, please!

The Brewers out drew 4 playoff teams this season (Pittsburgh, Rays, Cleveland, Oakland) and finished virtually tied with another (Cincinnati).

"I wasted so much time in my life hating Juventus or A.C. Milan that I should have spent hating the Cardinals." ~kalle8

The Reds-Pirates game caused me to have multiple flashbacks to Game 3 of the 2008 NLDS. They were generally positive flashbacks. :) I think most every fanbase should have an opportunity for a happy postseason experience at least once every 20-25 years, so I'm quite all right with Pittsburghers finally getting another chance.

When the Brewers are not in the postseason, I tend to side with infrequent postseason visitors and/or smaller markets. So for me a PIT-CLE Series would be awesome, and as a bonus it would probably dismay Joe Buck and the gang at FOX.

Mostly I'm in "Anyone But the Cardinals" mode (those of you who agree with this and tweet can find kindred spirits with the #ABtC hashtag). I also feel no need for Boston to have more success. A BOS-STL Series is one I'd largely ignore.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I'm watching the Rays v Tribe game with my old man and he keeps asking "Why do all these other teams always seem to have good, young pitching and the Brewers don't have a damn thing?" I don't have an answer and it sucks.
"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

LETS GO BUCS!!!

blackout.gif

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm watching the Rays v Tribe game with my old man and he keeps asking "Why do all these other teams always seem to have good, young pitching and the Brewers don't have a damn thing?" I don't have an answer and it sucks.

Thornburg?

Peralta?

I like Thornburg and Peralta, and I hope they have great careers for the Brewers, but they aren't on same level as Archer, Moore, or Cobb.

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

For a 90+ win team, this Braves team is just so unimpressive.

Exactly what I was thinking. It's hard to imagine a team that was shutout 4 times in 6 games by the Brewers has a prayer against this Dodger staff. I guess it shows how weak the AL East really was that they managed 96 wins. I'm thinking Dodgers in 4 or 5.

I really hate the way the playoffs are scheduled. Everyone should be on the same schedule so no one gets an advantage. Or at least in the same league.

It should be:

Mon: tie breaker games

Tue: both Wild Card games

Wed: all game 1's or all NL or all AL game 1's

That would have been horribly unfair to the Rays.

They play Sunday in Toronto, Monday tiebreaker in Texas, and then you want them to play Tuesday in Cleveland and Wednesday in Boston???

So 4 cities in 4 days?

Umm, no.

What the heck was that?!?!?

Two outs, runners on 2nd and 3rd with Reed Johnson up for the Braves.

So.....

Don Mattingly then brings in a pitcher out of the pen to intentionally walk Reed Johnson which loads the bases for Jason Heyward?!

That was absolute horrible management.

From Dodgers blog:

But that 2-1 Dodger deficit turned much worse in the bottom of the seventh, when the Braves doubled their score. With runners on second and third base and two outs, down one run, manager Don Mattingly had this scenario:

Chris Withrow to face Jose Constanza, a journeyman 29-year old who hit .276/.332/.314 in Triple-A this season.

But Mattingly chose to go with southpaw Paco Rodriguez, who had been very effective for nearly the entire season before a September hiccup. Fredi Gonzalez countered with pinch-hitter Reed Johnson, a former Dodger who has hit .311/.366/.456 against left-handed pitchers in his career but just .291/.328/.345 this season.

Strangely, Mattingly had Johnson intentionally walked to face Jason Heyward, who has hit .232/.312/.377 in his career against lefties but improved to .264/.347/.455 in 2013.

No matter how many numbers we look at, this move didn't pass the eye test.

Mattingly intentionally walked Reed Johnson to get to Jason Heyward.

Say that out loud, and it just doesn't sound right.

Sure enough, Heyward singled up the middle against Rodriguez for a 4-1 Braves lead.

I really hate the way the playoffs are scheduled. Everyone should be on the same schedule so no one gets an advantage. Or at least in the same league.

It should be:

Mon: tie breaker games

Tue: both Wild Card games

Wed: all game 1's or all NL or all AL game 1's

That would have been horribly unfair to the Rays.

They play Sunday in Toronto, Monday tiebreaker in Texas, and then you want them to play Tuesday in Cleveland and Wednesday in Boston???

So 4 cities in 4 days?

Umm, no.

Then win your division. The whole point of this new wildcard format is to make winning the division more important.

I do look the wildcard format a lot now. Despite the playoff teams being pretty well known for a while no one took it easy in September. This format gives more teams a chance without going crazy and clearly rewards excellence in the regular season. A wildcard winning the World Series should be a once a decade occurrence.

Archived