Brewer Fanatic

Braun to move to RF for 2014?

TURBO
Davis had a reverse split this year (albeit in a very small sample) hitting RHP better than LHP

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=daviskh01&year=2013&t=b

They probably will use Segura as a lead-off hitter because of his base stealing ability, but as someone else said, the lead-off hitter should be the player with the best OBP. I think Roenicke is too much of a Traditionalist to understand that though. Segura's OBP last year was .329, that really isn't good enough for a lead-off hitter. It is an organizational problem, though, the Brewers don't have very many patient hitters who draw walks.

I'd rather see Khris Davis playing (almost) every day, instead of being in a platoon.

Really they should move Braun to 1B instead of RF

For all the success he had, it was only 153 PA, and it's hard to know what he'd do over a full season. In fact I like Gindl, who's really being overlooked, almost as much as Davis. Gindl had almost as many walks (20) as strikeouts (25). Every time I see him take a cut, I see a young Matt Stairs who really didn't blossom until his late 20's. I can see Roenicke doing what he did much of the 2nd half, mixing and matching guys. Gindl batting 2nd, is intriguing.

As for leadoff, Gennett vs. RHP, and Segura vs. LHP. Neither are going to walk a ton, but batting ahead of the likes of Braun etc, they'll see pitches plenty of good pitches to hit and combined they should easily account for a .350 or better OBP in the leadoff spot.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Davis had a reverse split this year (albeit in a very small sample) hitting RHP better than LHP

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=daviskh01&year=2013&t=b

They probably will use Segura as a lead-off hitter because of his base stealing ability, but as someone else said, the lead-off hitter should be the player with the best OBP. I think Roenicke is too much of a Traditionalist to understand that though. Segura's OBP last year was .329, that really isn't good enough for a lead-off hitter. It is an organizational problem, though, the Brewers don't have very many patient hitters who draw walks.

I'd rather see Khris Davis playing (almost) every day, instead of being in a platoon.

Really they should move Braun to 1B instead of RF

For all the success he had, it was only 153 PA, and it's hard to know what he'd do over a full season. In fact I like Gindl, who's really being overlooked, almost as much as Davis. Gindl had almost as many walks (20) as strikeouts (25). Every time I see him take a cut, I see a young Matt Stairs who really didn't blossom until his late 20's. I can see Roenicke doing what he did much of the 2nd half, mixing and matching guys. Gindl batting 2nd, is intriguing.

im interested in the idea of Gindl/Davis in LF with Braun in RF and Gomez in CF to start off 2014.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewers Won't Trade Ryan Braun

By Steve Adams [November 21 at 10:21am CST]

Though "four or five clubs" approached Brewers general manager Doug Melvin at the GM Meetings last week to inquire on Ryan Braun's availability, Melvin told the other GMs that Braun isn't available, Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports. Melvin addressed trade rumors that have circulated around his embattled outfielder:

"We have no intentions of trading Ryan. There's absolutely no truth to that. We've never contacted any team about Ryan."

Melvin told Haudricourt that he, manager Ron Roenicke and owner Mark Attanasio had lunch with Braun last week in Los Angeles. There was no talk of trades, and his PED suspension was not a main talking point either. Rather, the Brewers brass met to discuss the upcoming plans for next season and a potential shift to right field for Braun, an idea to which Braun was open.

A shift to right field could open up some more at-bats for Khris Davis following an impressive Major League debut, though it could displace Norichika Aoki as well. Haudricourt writes that Aoki could still be used in left field at times in that scenario, however. He also adds that the very fact that the Brewers are discussing Braun's future with him illustrates the fact that he's not likely to be traded this winter.

Braun is owed $122MM over the next seven seasons, including a $4MM buyout on his $15MM mutual option for the 2021 season and two remaining annual payments of $2.5MM in 2014 and 2015 as part of the $10MM signing bonus on his most recent extension.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/11/brewers-wont-trade-ryan-braun.html

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

For all the success he had, it was only 153 PA, and it's hard to know what he'd do over a full season. In fact I like Gindl, who's really being overlooked, almost as much as Davis. Gindl had almost as many walks (20) as strikeouts (25). Every time I see him take a cut, I see a young Matt Stairs who really didn't blossom until his late 20's.

I agree, I like Gindl a lot, I think he has a lot of potential. And you are right, he is one of the few Brewers who does take walks. He might end up strictly a platoon guy but a valuable part of an MLB roster

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

I really don't see Braun moving to 1B in the near future. He is much too athletic to be wasted at that position.

I would say that Braun is much too injury prone and too important offensively to waste his bat running around the Outfield 155 games a year.

The David Stearns era: Controllable Young Talent. Watch the Jedi work his magic!

Is there anyone out there that actually believes Melvin's denials about Aoki being shopped? It's not 100% certain, and it won't happen until things get clearer at 1B, but it's more likely he gets dealt than not.

In the Aoki trade value topic in the Transaction Rumor section, I stated I believe Aoki's future is tied to Hart. If Hart is in Milwaukee, Aoki will not be as the FO keeps mentioning finding ABs for Davis and I highly doubt Braun or Gomez is dealt. That leaves Aoki as the likeliest candidate to be dealt. If Hart is not re-signed, I think Braun is moved to 1B with LF opening for Davis/Gindl, keeping Aoki in RF.

I really don't see Braun moving to 1B in the near future. He is much too athletic to be wasted at that position.

I would say that Braun is much too injury prone and too important offensively to waste his bat running around the Outfield 155 games a year.

I'd say keep a guy at the most difficult position he is capable of playing for as long as he is capable of playing it.

I like Aoki, but I don't think he is nearly good enough to force Braun to a new position. We should be able to find a 1B somewhere who should surpass Aoki's offensive ability, and then we can play Davis/Gindl in LF, Gomez in CF and Braun in RF, which should be a pretty good overall OF.

Aoki can then be traded for something of value. That would either be someone of similar ability at a position of need at the MLB level, or a pretty good minor leaguer.

Edit: fixed typo

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

In the scenario of Aoki out of the lineup.

I'm looking at Segura batting leadoff. Mash his .329OB it was with a poor 2nd half and he's 1 year older to prime. You have to expect some improvement.

Braun 2nd. In going with new trend of best hitter batting 2nd Braun fits it.

Lucroy 3rd

Aram 4th

Davis 5th

Gomez 6th

Gennet 7th

1b 8th(Weeks 8th when playing)

Did anyone kind of forget that Lucroy has become the team's Vocal Leader? He's been clutch a tough out, his bat is okay for 3rd in the lineup.

But in reality this is how the lineup will go:

Weeks/Gennett 1st

Segura 2nd

Braun,Aram,Lucroy,Gomez,Davis, 1b.

Yeah You tell me how important it is to have Braun bat 3rd when you can bat him 2nd and keep Gennett/Weeks at 8 vs. 1st all season long?

Maybe just Maybe Gomez can show enough in ST to give Segura Leadoff and Gomez bat 2nd like he was tried in the past. Anything to avoid our 2b being Leadoff next season!

I know the believers in the randomness of hitting will disagree, but Lucroy's had a knack of hitting with men on base, so I think he's more valuable in the 5th spot.

Gomez would benefit hitting in front of Braun and having speed at the top of the order is still a plus.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
Can Gindl play RF? Or would Schafer be the only backup there? Has Halton played out there at all in the minors?

Gindl has played mostly RF in the minors (530 games in RF, 175 in CF, and 47 in LF). He didn't look all that comfortable last season in LF - probably because he hasn't played it that much.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gindl is the top backup in LF and RF next year, with Schafer getting a handful of starts in CF when Carlos needs a break.

Can Gindl play RF? Or would Schafer be the only backup there? Has Halton played out there at all in the minors?

Gindl has played mostly RF in the minors (530 games in RF, 175 in CF, and 47 in LF). He didn't look all that comfortable last season in LF - probably because he hasn't played it that much.

I wouldn't be surprised if Gindl is the top backup in LF and RF next year, with Schafer getting a handful of starts in CF when Carlos needs a break.

I assume Schafer will have the 8/9 inning defensive sub for Davis role next year.

Archived