Brewer Fanatic

Braun to move to RF for 2014?

TURBO

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin acknowledged Tuesday that the club has discussed moving Ryan Braun to right field in order to make room for Khris Davis in left field.

Davis has limited range, but the Brewers want to find a way to get him into the lineup after he batted .279/.353/.596 with 11 home runs and 27 RBI over 153 plate appearances as a rookie this year. Moving Braun to right field would make Norichika Aoki the odd man out, but there would be plenty of interest in him on the trade market given his team-friendly 2014 option. It's worth noting that the Brewers haven't discussed the idea with Braun yet, so it's no sure thing.

Source: Adam McCalvy on Twitter Oct 1 - 11:27 AM

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No need to trade Aoki. Its not like Davis and Braun are the pillars of health.

No need to keep him either when you can get a little something in trade and save $1.5M using Schafer and Gindl as your 4/5 outfielders, with Gamel and Halton also as options for corner spots.

If the Brewers are serious about this, I'd like to see them try to get a decent, left handed hitting first baseman (hopefully better than Francisco) instead of resigning Hart. The lineup is pretty frighteningly right handed.
Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I like this. Aoki just doesn't profile as a corner outfielder, and his OBP doesn't do enough for me to say "well, he's the prototype leadoff guy, so he fit that bill at least".

I know it was a small sample, but Davis hit well, and he hit at every level in the minors. He's ready. I don't think a .275/.350/.475 line would be an out of line expectation for him. Even a .500 SLG seems within his capablities, honestly.

No need to trade Aoki. Its not like Davis and Braun are the pillars of health.

No need to keep him either when you can get a little something in trade and save $1.5M using Schafer and Gindl as your 4/5 outfielders, with Gamel and Halton also as options for corner spots.

Do people really still believe Schafer is a major league caliber ballplayer? He brings little, if anything, to the table at the dish and many here consistently overrate his defense. I don't get it. AAAA material to me.

Do people really still believe Schafer is a major league caliber ballplayer? He brings little, if anything, to the table at the dish and many here consistently overrate his defense. I don't get it. AAAA material to me.

Well Schafer is a major league caliber player just not as an everyday player. He plays outstanding defense so he fits wells as a 4/5 outfielder especially if they get rid of Aoki and need a defensive replacement in the 8th or 9th. His defense is not overrated, not sure why you would even mention that, there is not indication that his defense is overrated.

Attanasio always believes he is in it. He will not trade Aoki, at least before deadline time. Aoki is a much better player than Schafer or Gindl. If its the 8th or 9th and need to score the runner from 3rd, I'd rather have Aoki hitting.

Your scenario is not logical. Either compare Aoki to Davis as a starter or compare Aoki to Schafer/Gindl as the backup outfielder on the bench - while keeping in mind that he costs four times as much as they do.

Schafer is the late inning defensive replacement and gives Gomez a few days off. Gindl provides the LH PH bat and can get 50 starts while spelling Davis and Braun on days off against righties.

Earlier this season I checked the OBP that each of the other 29 teams got out of their 1 and 2 spot hitters. At the time I recorded the data there were only 7 out of those 58 lineup spots which sported a higher OBP than the .354 Aoki ended with, so I would say that combined with his lack of power, league best contact rate, non-existent platoon split and above average speed make him an ideal top of the order hitter. Now I only hope DMGM can sell it the same way.

Mark Attanasio sat a few rows in front of me Thursday at Citi Field and I chatted with him for a couple of minutes (and got a nice picture) and he without prodding brought up how much he liked Khris Davis 3 times and later I told my wife that it was clear if Mark has any say (and I imagine he does) that they are going to find a spot for him which would likely mean moving Braun to first or right.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear for next year's outfield. I personally have no concerns about Braun playing RF, and I don't think he's going to gripe about it. Actually, if it helps the team and makes him appear to be more of a "team player," he'd probably be happy about it. Davis or a Davis/Gindl platoon in LF should be better than Aoki would provide and will cost 1/3 as much, and we should be able to get something of value for Aoki in trade.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I actually like Schafer, despite his bad year at the plate. I think his defense is great - fangraphs and baseball reference both really like his defense as well. That he can play anywhere is an asset as well.

I also look at his minor league numbers - .292 BA at both AA and AAA - and a .370 and .351 OBP for each respective level, and I think he can be a decent hitter.

Does he need to hit better. Absolutely. But it was his first season adjusting to irregular playing time. Some guys just need some time to adjust.

I think he can a very good 4/5 outfielder at this time. He can back up CF (important since Gomez is the kind of guy who gets banged up). He brings speed and defense to the field. He just needs to improve at the plate. Hopefully, a season under his belt will help him prepare for 2014.

If the Brewers are serious about this, I'd like to see them try to get a decent, left handed hitting first baseman (hopefully better than Francisco) instead of resigning Hart. The lineup is pretty frighteningly right handed.

Our lack of left handed power is kind of painful.

Versus lefthanded pitching the Brewers had the best hitting team in the NL last year (OPS of .736). Against right handed pitchers we had an OPS of .699 - 10th in the league.

It's why I always hoped Gamel would blossom into a decent hitter.

The key is finding someone we can afford - either via trading Aoki - or free agency. I don't think anyone trusts Francisco to be a regular player.

Some free agent 1B who hit with a bit of power include James Loney (age 30), Kendrys Morales (30), Justin Morneau (33), Lance Berkmann (37).

I don't really like the group. They are either mediocre, aging, have injury issues, platoon issues, or will be really expensive (and some have a combination of issues). May as well just move Braun or Davis to 1B, and let Gindl start and hope his hits .280 with 15 HR. Or hope Gamel can come back, or Morris can graduate the big leagues and hit .250-260 with 20 HR.

Trading Aoki for a young player might be the best option. It's just a matter if someone values his skill set enough to give us a decent young prospect.

I'd be inclined to option Schaffer back down and see if he can apply some of those major league lessons with some regular playing time. Aoki and Gindl is a pretty nice pair of hitters coming off the bench. Definitely some versatility as well to do defensive subbing if you want. Davis and Braun in the line-up full time would go a long way towards restoring the power outage.

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear for next year's outfield. I personally have no concerns about Braun playing RF, and I don't think he's going to gripe about it. Actually, if it helps the team and makes him appear to be more of a "team player," he'd probably be happy about it. Davis or a Davis/Gindl platoon in LF should be better than Aoki would provide and will cost 1/3 as much, and we should be able to get something of value for Aoki in trade.

This is a leap of faith and also appears to be a case of "small market mentality" to the extreme. Gindl really hasn't proven anything and Aoki has been a solid contributor for 2 full years. Is the 1/3 the cost argument really relevant when we're talking about the $1.5M Aoki will get? That's nothing. What does the saved $1M prevent us from doing? At that minimal cost, it should be about winning games and not stockpiling peanuts.

BrewersSuperCollector, I'm not sure that Aoki is superior to Gindl. Gindl profiles as a guy capable of playing all 3 OF spots (like Aoki), capable of 10-20 homers, has shown nice OBP skills, and is lefty. He's not Aoki, but I think both are very solid options. I think that both Davis and Gindl will have stints as starters for at least a few MLB seasons

Attanasio always believes he is in it. He will not trade Aoki, at least before deadline time. Aoki is a much better player than Schafer or Gindl. If its the 8th or 9th and need to score the runner from 3rd, I'd rather have Aoki hitting.

No Attanasio believes he owes it to loyal fans to put the best product on the field every year. Knowing you are not going to the postseason every year doesn't mean you don't try to every year. What the Cubs and Astros are doing is a joke.

I'd like to see Aoki traded if they can get something of value in return and to keep open roster spots for as many of the group of Gindl, Schafer, Halton and Davis as possible. I think the chemistry among that group and pitchers like Thornburg and Wooten contributed greatly to the success the last couple months. All those guys came through the system together and experienced major league baseball together which made for a good clubhouse.

so who leads off?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

much better player than Schafer or Gindl. If its the 8th or 9th and need to score the runner from 3rd, I'd rather have Aoki hitting.

No Attanasio believes he owes it to loyal fans to put the best product on the field every year. Knowing you are not going to the postseason every year doesn't mean you don't try to every year. What the Cubs and Astros are doing is a joke.

I'd like to see Aoki traded if they can get something of value in return and to keep open roster spots for as many of the group of Gindl, Schafer, Halton and Davis as possible. I think the chemistry among that group and pitchers like Thornburg and Wooten contributed greatly to the success the last couple months. All those guys came through the system together and experienced major league baseball together which made for a good clubhouse.

Going into the final 2 weeks of the season the Cubs had the same record as the Brewers.

Part of me gets frustrated reading the boards as people think its so easy to trade. Its not as easy as portrayed in Moneyball.

Look at the transactions section the past year. There probably isn't any player on the roster that is not brought up to be traded.

I'm not taking the time to dissect fangraphs. The eye test for me is Aoki is a clutch type player that I want hitting when I need that final run. I'm not saying Gindl, Schafer, Halton or Davis are not, as I didn't look up the stats, but I think Aoki isn't one whose stats are created in non pressure situations.

I always get confused when the bleeding obvious is not obvious.

If the Crew go with Aoki as the fourth outfielder it just works perfect. Braun, post lozenge, seems to be prone for niggles. So we will not be a 160 game a year guy. Davis, you can guess he will have ups and downs. So he will need the odd rest and platoon. And Aoki played miles better not going EVERY day.

And!!!!! as Doug said in his end of year presser... having 4 starting outfielders allows you to trade - rather than free agent.

But it is a good question re 'who leads off'. The 'blue' Weeks is an obvious answer re lefties. Aoki is an answer re righties (mind you, I think he hits lefties better! - but against a rightie there is no obvious leadoff). The Crew will keep Weeks and Aoki in 2014. And that is for the best, in my thinking.

so who leads off?

I would try Segura to see if taking the winter off will bring him back refreshed and able to hit something like he did the first part of last year.

If he isn't effective, then maybe Gennett if he can keep his average up to offset the lack of walks that keep his OBP down, or Weeks if he is used in a platoon AND can stay out of the horrendous slumps.

If they don't work out, even Gomez could be tried at leadoff. If the Brewers are fielding a lineup with a bunch of right handed power hitters (Braun, Ramirez, Davis, Lucroy, Gomez, Hart or other 1B) you might as well put the fastest of the bunch at the top of the order.

I would start out with

Segura

Gomez

Braun

Ramirez

First Baseman

Lucroy

Davis

Gennett/Weeks

Pitcher

and then tinker based on who is hitting and who is slumping. When Aoki plays he would hit first.

But, I agree with the previous poster that I wouldn't worry about having Aoki as the fourth outfielder because both Davis and Braun are injury prone and the fourth outfielder will get his chances to play. It's only in the offseason that a team can play the same lineup every day and can get by with just 5 starting pitchers.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived