Brewer Fanatic

Cubs fire Sveum; Royals hire Sveum

reillymcshane

I can go back to hating the cubs now that Sveum is no longer there

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Think he'd come back to the Brewers in some capacity in the future?

Not next year, obviously, unless something happens over the off-season, but maybe in a couple of years?

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Before Roenicke, it seemed like the Brewers never really had much interest in Sveum as the manager of the Brewers long-term (long-term meaning as more than an interim manager in this case)... so I'm guessing he'll get another shot somewhere else as manager rather than coming back to the Brewers as a bench coach or something, but who knows.

I can see why he was fired as he didn't really get all that much out of Castro and Rizzo. Rizzo looked as though he regressed talent wise this year which is a reflection on the manager. When you have a team where you are trying to build around young players and one of your best prospect looks as though they regressed from the previous year you have a problem. I don't believe the Cubs were looking at how many games Sveum won or lost but at how the younger players progressed with him as the manager.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
No one could have won with that team. He was doomed the day he took the job.
"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

From everything I'm reading it seems like he was hired more or less because you need to have a manager, not because they wanted him. Not that it was a knock on him but just that management didn't hire him with the intent of him sticking around very long.

That's not true. The Cubs wanted him and so did the Red Sox (who had just fired Terry Francona). There was a competition between the Cubs and Red Sox and the Cubs "won."

I never understood the interest by either team because Dale never seemed to me to be a forward thinking manager who embraces statistical analysis and Jamesian managing philosophies. But then maybe that's why he's out in Chicago.

No one could have won with that team. He was doomed the day he took the job.

It wasn't the record, the GM said as much. The young talent wasn't progressing, and the team stopped playing hard. RR gets some criticism around here for dropping the team out of high draft pick position (despite playing Yuni), but by playing hard at the end, there is some optimism for next year.

Amazing how smart organizations make smart decisions and dumb organizations don't. Right now the brewers may have the weakest management in the division and with the state of the roster that doesn't bode well for the future.

Looks like there were no hard feelings with Yost toward Sveum as to how September 2008 went down. I give Ned a ton of credit in how he handled that whole deal... it had to have been pretty humiliating for him to get fired the way he did, yet I've never heard of him saying one negative thing about the Brewers organization.

Royals hire Sveum as a coach, to coach in a capacity to be determined.

I can see it now. Royals are in process of frittering away first playoff spot in decades with Ned Yost making one bad decision after another, when to the rescue comes Dale Svuem with 2 weeks left in the season.

Oh, that's outstanding, because it's so plausible. :)

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Amazing how smart organizations make smart decisions and dumb organizations don't. Right now the brewers may have the weakest management in the division and with the state of the roster that doesn't bode well for the future.

The boy genius in Chicago is starting to get plenty of heat. The Reds just fired Dusty.

The Brewers have under contract or control through at least 2016, a former if disgraced MVP in his prime, an All Star CF who had the 3rd most Wins above replacement in baseball in 2013, a 23 year old SS who was an All Star in his first full year in the majors, a burgeoning star catcher, and two rookies who showed plenty of ability in their two month major league trials.

This "dumb organization" signed Gomez to a contract that is about $100 million less than he would command as a FA. They also bought out Lucroy's arbitration years for much less than he'd have gotten. They dealt a pitcher to a team for a two month rental for an All Star shortstop and 2 good pitching prospects. Yeah they are dumb indeed.

Archived