Brewer Fanatic

September 25th Brewers-Braves Brawl… Latest: Gomez suspended (post 13)

TURBO
It has nothing to do with McCann being a racist or anything. He's talking about culture. Watch the WBC. The Latin American countries play the game with flair and passion and their fans are partying, dancing, and singing in the stands. The American players on the other hand play stoic, emotionless baseball and the fans golf clap at homeruns. I can see how guys who have played in America their whole life would be offended by someone (gasp!) having fun and showing it while they play.

Actually, he said it has to do with being a racist above:

Yes I do, McCann is a lot worse than a knob in my opinion.

I don't care much one way or another, but I suppose the more Lation/hispanic players we get into the league, the more it will start to resemble their culture.

Personally, I like the old "unwritten rules" standards of the game, but that is just me.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats Brew Crew Forever!

I'm right there with danzig and RoCo. I hate the "unwritten rules." I especially hate players and managers who take upon themselves the job of enforcing the "unwritten rules." It's all utter nonsense. I don't think Gomez should have wasted brain cells carrying that grudge all season, but if it doesn't affect his play, then who cares.

The cultural point is interesting. I don't think it's about "racism" per se. I do think that things like "unwritten rules" are inherently meant to stop norms from changing. When you bring players from different cultures into the game in greater numbers, norms change. I think it's fair to criticize the "unwritten rules" and their self-appointed keepers on grounds of cultural insularity.

I thought this was a good article that touches on the Gomez-McCann confrontation.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/62352290/

The author's point is that the so-called unwritten rules of the game are changing (or should be) due the growing Latino presence in the major leagues. Personally, I enjoy a little bit of flash. It adds something to the game. I don't view those who feel otherwise with contempt or anything. I just get tired of the "Guardians of the Game" taking the unwritten rules so seriously as to punish any individuality in the game.

Interesting article, even if i question the race angle given teams like the Braves and Cardinals under LaRussa have for years been playing the "Guardians of the Game" deal regardless of the race of players involved. It was one reason i was so glad to see LaRussa finally retire. One paragraph of the article though i agreed with 100 percent.

"Fernandez apologized after the game for his behavior, although I'm not quite certain why he had to do so. He hadn't hurt anyone. His only crime was to exhibit a passionate reaction, which itself hardly seems like much of a crime."

I wish Fernandez hadn't apologized after the game because he did absolutely nothing wrong. The kid hit his first home run in the majors, got caught up in the emotion doing so and thus watched the ball for a second or two. Wow, what a crime against humanity and the game of baseball, so he needed to be preached to by that moron McCann. Screw him and anyone who agrees with/defends the action of McCann. He's instantly topping my list of hated players in baseball.

I'm totally against the practice of pitchers throwing at hitters for breaking these silly unwritten rules, but i would have laughed if Fernandez or one of his fellow Miami pitchers had turned the tables on these unwritten rules and threw at McCann for his high-minded attitude thinking he gets to decide just how exactly another player has to react after hitting a home run.

Are there going to be any teams left that Brewer fans don't refer to as the "keepers of classiness"? Let's see, Cardinals, Arizona, San Francisco, now Atlanta. Are there any other teams that get on the nerves of other teams as much as the Brewers have done in recent years?

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

Don't forget to add the Pirates on that list.

how?

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

Good timing:

The Party Police: Atlanta Braves division

http://www.sbnation.com/mlb/2013/10/7/4798780/atlanta-braves-party-police

Another - more serious - article on the subject of the Braves being the 'party police' from USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2013/10/02/dodgers-braves-a-clash-of-opposites-in-nl-division-series/2913015/

Hardballtalk has nice article laying into the "Do it by the book" Braves this morning. And the author is a Braves fan.

I am more happy then I should be that the Braves lost. I shouldn't be happy that the Yankees of the NL are close to the World Series, the Pirates are all I have left.

Hardballtalk has nice article laying into the "Do it by the book" Braves this morning. And the author is a Braves fan.

I am more happy then I should be that the Braves lost. I shouldn't be happy that the Yankees of the NL are close to the World Series, the Pirates are all I have left.

personally, I was hoping for a pirates/braves NLCS to exorcise the breamons out of the Northshore here in Pittsburgh

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

First sentence of the Deadspin article on last night's game:

"In the bottom of the 8th in Los Angeles, Juan Uribe sent the Atlanta Play The Game The Right Ways packing with an absolute monster blast to left field."

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That's how I feel. I shouldn't be pulling for the Dodgers, but I absolutely can't root for the Braves right now. I just can't. And honestly, if I had an MVP vote, it would be going to Hanley Ramirez, and all 86 games that he played in.

"We'd say that we are glad that Juan Uribe sent this team of ninnies home for the season, if not for that fact that Brian McCann will surely spend his offseason haranguing neighborhood children for not having properly shined shoes."

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

Why is it always hitters that seem to be the problem? How is a batter watching his HR for a second or two really any different than a pitcher pumping his fist after a strikeout or shooting arrows into the sky after a save?

Aren't those things showing up the hitter and the other team? Why is that ok but if I hit a HR and stand for a second or two, I'm a jag who needs to get plunked or whatever.

Seems like a total double standard to me.

Why is it always hitters that seem to be the problem? How is a batter watching his HR for a second or two really any different than a pitcher pumping his fist after a strikeout or shooting arrows into the sky after a save?

Aren't those things showing up the hitter and the other team? Why is that ok but if I hit a HR and stand for a second or two, I'm a jag who needs to get plunked or whatever.

Seems like a total double standard to me.

That is why we don't like Chris Carpenter.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I'd like to welcome you all to the "I can't root for the Braves" club. I'm a charter member going back to it's founding in 1966. Since most of you here weren't alive at the time, you are excused for taking so much time to enter. The question that got asked often back in the spring of 1966 was "Who are you going to root for now?" Most answers except from some holdouts, were prefaced by "I can't root for the Braves now" so I'm rooting for...fill in the blank. The people that remembered pre Milwaukee Brave days tended to return to what their loyalties were in years prior. My dad and older brother easily assimilated back into White Sox loyalists. Other families had Cub fan roots and Cub games started showing up on television on Sundays. I was a complete free agent so I had no problem adopting the Kansas City A's. That's right, they hadn't moved to Oakland yet. Two things attracted me to the A's. They were traditionally bad, and therefore I figured I'd be unique, and a rumor was floated in the Sporting News that owner Charlie Finley, who lived in Chicago, was looking at Milwaukee as a landing spot for his team which wasn't getting great support in KC. Well the city fathers in Milwaukee were hardly in the mood for more out of town ownership, so they didn't exactly welcome feelers from the likes of Mr. Finley. Looking back, think if they had? Those A's teams turned into 3 time champs.

my dad gave me his old braves stuff from the 60's, got some pennants hanging in my basement with my other sports stuff. he told me he "gave up" on baseball when the braves left until the Brewers arrived.

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

I was a complete free agent so I had no problem adopting the Kansas City A's. That's right, they hadn't moved to Oakland yet. Two things attracted me to the A's. They were traditionally bad, and therefore I figured I'd be unique, and a rumor was floated in the Sporting News that owner Charlie Finley, who lived in Chicago, was looking at Milwaukee as a landing spot for his team which wasn't getting great support in KC. Well the city fathers in Milwaukee were hardly in the mood for more out of town ownership, so they didn't exactly welcome feelers from the likes of Mr. Finley. Looking back, think if they had? Those A's teams turned into 3 time champs.

I just finished reading Bill Veeck's auto-biography and this was discussed a little towards the end. From what I remember Chuck wanted to move West to LA and there really wasn't much interest in going to Milwaukee.

Archived