Brewer Fanatic

September 25th Brewers-Braves Brawl… Latest: Gomez suspended (post 13)

TURBO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it was discussed sorta in the game thread up top, but its not the first time McCann has been an instigator and a bully. I dont understand why reed johnson ran off the bench and started putting his hands in gomez' face... and as mentioned in that thread, had done that earlier this year also, and never got ejected from either games.

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I'm sure adrenaline gets pumping, and if any player has a tendency to be a hothead, it comes out in these situations...

I can say this much, if this happened to the Brewers, and Lucroy did what McCann did, as fans, we'd all be loving it to death.

:)

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I can't understand how/why McCann gets away with that. He did virtually the same thing against Miami two weeks ago. This time, not only was he barking at Gomez, he physically stood in the baseline and started the whole physical part of it.

There is absolutely no reason for him to be standing there other than to start a fight. He did more than Gomez by far and gets to remain in the game, and as mentioned, this is basically the second time he's done that. Makes no sense.

And why Reed Johnson would basically snap like he did was just silly. He basically sucker punched Gomez.

I can say this much, if this happened to the Brewers, and Lucroy did what McCann did, as fans, we'd all be loving it to death.

I wouldn't. It's one thing if you protect your pitcher when the batter is charging the mound but GoGo wasn't going anywhere near Maholm. I would be amazed if Lucroy did anything like this, which is another reason to like Lucroy.

The fact that McCann wasn't ejected is crazy to me. As Turboricky mentioned, we would be loving Lucroy if he stood up to a guy show-boating against a pitcher like that. It seemed like an over-reaction on McCann's part but the overall tactic doesn't bother me. It DOES bother me that he didn't get thrown out of the game for it. If you're going to do that stuff and play the tough guy there needs to be repercussions for it. Managers have to pick their spots when they lose there tempers or make a dramatic point because they know they'll be tossed from the game. Same should hold true for players.

I've spent the entire day scrutinizing the video. Gross over statement but I've watched both the Brewers and Braves telecast of it and here are my thoughts.

- McCann should have been tossed and should get whatever penalties Gomez gets.

- Gomez should have decked McCann. He clearly is only a bully based on his previous actions with Jose Fernandez with all his huffing and puffing and yelling.

- Any reason why Betancourt immediately went after Andrelton Simmons and proceeded to hug him all over the field? That was weird.

- If Freeman wouldn't have elbowed Ramirez in the face he may have taken McCann out. The Atlanta telecast had a good angle of him going right after McCann until the elbow and then he continuously tried to get after him but there were too many people in the way.

- Reed Johnson is a prick. He did the same thing in the brawl with the Marlins. He jumped in, got a few punches in, and then weaseled out. Didn't get tossed from either game.

- I really wish Nyjer was on the team last night. It would have been classic.

- I really wish Prince was on the team last night. He hopefully would have treated McCann like he was Manny Para.

- Things might not have gotten out of hand if Freeman didn't say anything. After he started trotting Gomez yelled a little at Maholm and then put his head down and started running until Freeman started barking at him.

- I'm really surprised that Ron stood up for Carlos at all in his interview. He still needs to be fired though.

- There are two things in my life I have always wanted from a baseball game: a foul ball and a brawl. I got my foul ball earlier this year in Nashville and now I've seen a brawl. I think I might retire as a fan.

I'm not going to defend anything any of the Braves players did. Especially McCann. How he was allowed to stay in the game is beyond me. That being said, one thing I cannot stand is players doing crap like what Gomez did. I don't know what, if anything, was said to him before he hit the home run but to sit there and stare at it is immature and uncalled for. I'd have said something too if I were Maholm or Freeman. The Brewers are 17 games under .500 at the time and the Braves are best team in the NL. I'm not sure why Gomez felt the need to taunt them.

Gomez went overboard and McCann went overboard as we'll. What really bothered me was that Lohse didn't put one in McCann's knee. You have to ask yourself WWTLD what would Tony Larussa do. I'm sure it was Ron not wanting to retaliate

Yeah but what Gomez did has been done before by guys who have a past with a pitcher. It was uncalled for but it was done in the course of the action. Sort of like a guy yelling at a pitcher when he's headed to first after getting hit. What McCann did was instigate a physical confrontation, the same as a batter running out to the mound after getting hit. Gomez actually showed restraint by not barreling into McCann with his path to the plate blocked. That it took the Braves a while to actually put up the run was another joke. It was obvious interference on McCann's part.

There was more cause to eject McCann than there was Gomez.

Just when I thought I couldn't love GoGo more...

Gomez on Reed Johnson per JSOnline.

Gomez wasn't sure why Johnson came after him so hard off the Braves' bench.

"I don't know," he said. "That's a good question to ask him. I don't know him. I didn't even know he was still playing. He just tried to protect his teammates. He's a fourth outfielder; doesn't play every day. He tried to be a super hero when he didn't even know what happened. But it's his team and he has to protect it."

"Fiers, Bill Hall and a lucky SSH winner will make up tomorrow's rotation." AZBrewCrew

Apparently for MLB, it's ok to block the path of a runner on a homerun trot. It's also ok to start not one, but two bench clearing brawls in the span of 2 weeks because you don't like your pitchers being shown up.

I'm fine with the suspensions, but McCann's actions are simply not appropriate. He was more at fault to the brawl than Gomez IMO. If McCann isn't standing there, Gomez probably just goes to the dugout. What did the umpires/MLB think McCann was doing there if not to start a confrontation? Now that I've thought about it, I wish Gomez would have just bowled him over.

I can't fathom how McCann was neither ejected nor suspended. The whole situation blew out of control because he literally stood in the baseline and wouldn't let Gomez touch the plate.

For what it's worth Boers and Bernstein on WSCR were ripping McCann and the Braves announcers for being complete tools.

So GoGo and Roenicke have apologized even though they have a lot less to apologize for than McCann and Johnson and McCann is still chirping like he's some kind of hero and apparently Johnson hasn't said anything.

Yep those Braves really need to be giving classiness lessons to the rest of the world.

it was discussed sorta in the game thread up top, but its not the first time McCann has been an instigator and a bully.

Which is pretty hilarious, as that butterball would stand no chance against Gomez, so maybe the umps were being lenient because they thought his actions were cute. Kinda like when your friend's obese cat starts hissing at you for walking through "his" kitchen in order to retrieve a beer.

I'm sure adrenaline gets pumping, and if any player has a tendency to be a hothead, it comes out in these situations...

Not me

I'm sure many will disagree, but i have zero problem at all with any hitter admiring a home run which they've just hit and i think it's silly that in turn the opposing pitcher and/or his teammates get all bent out of shape over just a hitter admiring a home run. It's even more ridiculous when a pitcher decides to throw a hard baseball at a hitter for whatever that pitcher deems as breaking some unwritten conduct rule. It would be akin to not liking how someone is acting and choosing to throw a rock at that person as hard as you can throw it.

This is professional baseball, not little league baseball. It's paid entertainment and thus to me, if a professional athlete chooses to showboat sometimes, i don't care one bit. Granted, if a player does it to often to where it starts making his team/teammates uncomfortable, then those people should tell that player to tone it down vs having other teams get to decide this, much less getting violent over the behavior.

Only in baseball does this nonsense go on. If say Deion Sanders high stepped his way into the endzone after a great punt return, NFL players didn't start a brawl over it and dangerously fire a hard object at him the next time he took the field. In hockey, if a guy really celebrates after a great goal, an opposing player doesn't fire a hard puck 90mph at the guy the next time he's on the ice. In the NBA, if a guy celebrates a great play by drawing attention to himself, that doesn't lead to a brawl and a player on the other team picking up a hard object and firing it at the celebrating player. Just baseball does this crap.

Only in baseball does this nonsense go on. If say Deion Sanders high stepped his way into the endzone after a great punt return, NFL players didn't start a brawl over it and dangerously fire a hard object at him the next time he took the field. In hockey, if a guy really celebrates after a great goal, an opposing player doesn't fire a hard puck 90mph at the guy the next time he's on the ice. In the NBA, if a guy celebrates a great play by drawing attention to himself, that doesn't lead to a brawl and a player on the other team picking up a hard object and firing it at the celebrating player. Just baseball does this crap.

Sanders has started brawls with his gloating and cockiness, it is not just baseball.

Archived