Brewer Fanatic

Bullpen building for 2014

The pen is a little short heading into 2014. There are some young guys with promise but I'm sure they will look at adding at least 2 vets including a lefty to replace Gonzalez who was rather disappointing this season.

As for the right side, another go round for K-Rod? He was less than stellar in Baltimore which should keep his asking price reasonable, clearly likes it here, and might again have value at the deadline.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I'm actually okay where we are at for 2014. But I wouldn't be adverse to adding a couple of low cost guys.

The Brewers have the 5th best ERA in baseball for its relievers. Most of the guys that got us there are returning. Getting rid of Gonzalez should make us better. He's been pretty bad. Axford wasn't great either. The only thing we'll miss is K-Rod's 25 innings of good pitching.

Henderson

Kintzler

Badenhop (just limit his exposure to righties, please)

Gorzelanny (don't let him start - 2.70 ERA as a reliever, 4.81 as a starter)

Figaro (3.13 ERA as a reliever - awful as a starter)

Hand (3.03 ERA as a reliever)

Wooten

Blazek

Sanchez (2.83 ERA at AAA last year, and a sub-2.00 ERA at AA in 2012)

Chris Narveson (make him a loogy. they guy has always shut down lefties well. he doesn't look like he's a starter anymore, so give him a chance to return to the bigs as a loogy)

Relievers are a fickle species. So I certainly wouldn't over pay for anyone. A loogy wouldn't be bad if you don't trust Narveson and Gorzelanny to fill the role. But otherwise, I say give the young guys the chance. Just don't try and make them something they are not. Figaro was okay as a reliever - but a disaster as a starter. To try and think a 29 year old guy, who hasn't been in the league for years, is suddenly a viable starter, is kind of stupid.

The pen is a little short heading into 2014. There are some young guys with promise but I'm sure they will look at adding at least 2 vets including a lefty to replace Gonzalez who was rather disappointing this season.

As for the right side, another go round for K-Rod? He was less than stellar in Baltimore which should keep his asking price reasonable, clearly likes it here, and might again have value at the deadline.

I really don't see them adding more than one veteran at most. In fact they could cut Badenhop and still have many more than 7 young guys that have options they can stock the pen with. Besides all the cheap/signed guys they currently have up: Henderson, Kintzler, Hand, Gorzy, Figaro, Wooten, Blazek, you have the AAA guys like Heckathorn and Sanchez, plus whatever starting pitchers they move like Narveson, Thornburg, Fiers, Burgos.

I had wanted them to target J.P. Howell last season and give him a 2-year deal. I think their concern, along with other teams, was his injury a couple years ago.

Well, he had another stellar season in LA, is another year removed from surgery and is still only 30 years old. He had a 1-year, $2.85 million deal with the Dodgers for this season. His price tag I'm sure will go up a touch.

He's a LH who has been good at getting RH out as well (save for his 1st year back after surgery). I think he should definitely be a target if the plan is to try to win next season.

If they're simply rebuilding (which I doubt), then you stay all young guys.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived