Brewer Fanatic

Brandon Phillips and the Statistical Oddity

DuWayne Steurer
His SLG goes down with RISP and his OBP goes up. Looks like he isn't getting as many pitches he can drive with RISP. Kind of what you would expect to see if a guy is being pitched around with RISP.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I love Votto. I don't love the 10-year extension. They'll be paying him $25 million annually from age 36-40. That's just playing with fire. And you can't DH the guy.

As he ages I see the power diminishing to a degree (if it hasn't already). If he can stay healthy, that will be key. A guy like Todd Helton was a lot like Votto at age 30. A few years later and he's lost so much of his power due to injuries.

Votto's best skill is his eye, which generally gets better as a player ages and doesn't drop off as much as the bat. When I was looking at his stats I was surprised to see how low his slugging is for a first basemen that plays in that ballpark. His OPS is almost entirely OBP supported and probably won't be effected by age as much as most other players' are.

Archived