Brewer Fanatic

2013-09-23 - 2013-09-25 Brewers at Braves

TURBO

I agree, but then again, the enjoyment of the season was sucked out a long time ago. I just love baseball, but putting this season to rest needs to happen, the sooner the better.

I really hope my biggest wish comes true in the off-season, but there is probably a 1% chance, so I guess I'll have to put up with another season of RRR and all he brings, and doesn't bring to the table.

*sigh*

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

I guess it's tough when you have a fall weeknight game and you've already clinched and there hasn't been much to cheer about but what a weak crowd. The only time they haven't been silent is when Gonzalez play acted outrage after a clearly correct call.

Wednesday

Young right-hander Tyler Thornburg will look to continue his string of strong starts tonight when he takes the mound against the Atlanta Braves at Turner Field.

Thornburg has thrown six innings in all six of his starts since rejoining the Brewers' rotation at the end of July, and has yet to give up a home run over that span. He comes into tonight 2-1 with a 1.25 ERA.

With right-hander Freddy Garcia starting for the Braves, the Brewers are going with Juan Francisco at first base, Scooter Gennett at second base and Caleb Gindl in left field.

Brewers

RF Norichika Aoki

2B Scooter Gennett

C Jonathan Lucroy

3B Aramis Ramirez

CF Carlos Gomez

LF Caleb Gindl

1B Juan Francisco

SS Jeff Bianchi

P Tyler Thornburg

Braves

CF Jason Heyward

RF Justin Upton

1B Freddie Freeman

LF Evan Gattis

C Brian McCann

SS Andrelton Simmons

2B Dan Uggla

3B Elliott Johnson

P Freddy Garcia

Wednesday

Good gravy! Is it really Wednesday already???? ;)

Oh, and, GO BREWERS!!!!! Let's finish the season with a 8-game win streak! Or not! So the people who want a good draft pick will be happy! Either way is fine with me!!!!

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

Kudos to Jim Powell and Don Sutton who have had nothing but good things to say about the Brewers during their broadcast. Including Estrada's start last night to Thornburg's stuff (granted he's a Georgia native) to condolences for the loss of Gindl's grandmother. They have praised RRR and remarked on Gennett's ability despite his size.

Edit: Sdcheezhed: are you referring to Angel Hernandez's call of the non hit batter on Janish? If so, it sounded like it was Angel Hernandez being Angel Hernandez, not a correct call. (Granted, I'm listening to the Braves' broadcast, but...)

Spidey yes that's what I meant. On the Brewers radiocast Block called it before Hernandez did ('hey he didn't get out of the way, OK now they're bringing him back'). On the clip from the Braves TV broadcast you can see Lucroy immediately appeal to Hernandez and then one of the Braves' announcers (Powell?) says yes it was the right call. Then after Freddi and the fans start complaining the other guy says that's Angel Hernandez being Angel Hernandez and I have no idea what he means other than he's just being a homer and is ignoring the play and eliciting the prejudice from Hernandez' reputation. Hernandez had to make a call; he made the right one; there weren't any theatrics or showing anybody up; and after Gonzalez went out to try to get thrown out (I think he wanted to fire up his team and the fans, who were dead the whole game until then) he threw him out. As far as I could tell he just did his job in a low-key way.

Here's from NBCSports - the first thing you get when you google:

"Personally, I wish this got called a bit more often. It’s ridiculous when hitters lean into a pitch to take it off the arm or, worse, an elbow pad. Janish clearly moved his knee into the path of the ball here as a means of getting on first base. That it didn’t work is a credit to Hernandez.

Yes, I really just wrote that. I’m going to shower now."

Scooter with two hits in his final two at bats, both against lefties. If he can improve his effectiveness against lefties a little, he's a no brainer starter at second in 2014.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

IIRC, they used to draw great back in the early to late 90's when they were going through their Division Winning streak, but it got to the point that people got bored with them winning on the back half of that streak? They didn't get much in '91, but from '92-'00, they were averaging close to or well over 40,000. After 2000 though, they were still winning division titles up through 2005 and the fans just weren't showing up. They're always around 30,000 a game now. It's kinda been the status quo ever since.

I know he's your guy and all, but I cannot see how people can defend Carlos Gomez. I get he's remembers getting hitearlier in the year but to flat and do something as juvenile as "stop and star" at a homerun ball, nope. I believe Brian McCann showed remarkable restrain because had it been me behind the plate (speaking as a former catcher) Gomez would have either taken a fist off his face, or I would have gone Kyle Farnsworth/Paul Wilson on him as he got near.

With that said both McCann and Gomez should have been ejected.

McCann deserves a fat suspension and fines for serving as an instigator. Gomez acted stupidly and should be fined, but his actions did not lead to the fight. Even the mouthing off with Freeman and Maholm did not get the fight going. But McCann blocking the plate?!?!?! I'm not happy with Gomez, but I think McCann has acted shamefully this season. From my recollection this is the third major incident that he's played a major role in. Gomez was foolish, but why was Maholm staring him down, too? Didn't he just serve up a homer to a guy that's owned him throughout their careers?

Bazinga, I don't support Gomez, but he stops and stares at every homer, just like 50% of major leaguers. Normally Gomez sprints around the bases like he's trying to leg out a triple. This time he acted foolishly. But I really can't justify the actions of any Brave. Why was Freeman so angry and barking? Why was McCann cussing like a sailor and blocking the plate? Why was Maholm staring back? I think the SS and 2b had the right approach...just turn and let the guy get around the bases. Maholm could have hit Go-Go his next time up, and it would have been a lot more productive than the stupidity that McCann showed.

I haven't seen the footage yet, but I was listening to the Braves broadcast and I'm really surprised at Jim Powell and Don Sutton's reaction. They both seemed to say that this was a roid rage. Sutton more than Powell, but it still seemed way out of line. I think Powell knew it too, because when they came back from the inning break he said "I need a thicker filter from my brain to my mouth sometimes".

They both seemed to think that no Braves should have been ejected and the only reason Freeman was ejected is because the umps HAD to eject a Brave player to even things out. They both really made it seem like Gomez is a psychopath.

I wish my internet was faster so I could watch.

I haven't seen the footage yet, but I was listening to the Braves broadcast and I'm really surprised at Jim Powell and Don Sutton's reaction. They both seemed to say that this was a roid rage. Sutton more than Powell, but it still seemed way out of line. I think Powell knew it too, because when they came back from the inning break he said "I need a thicker filter from my brain to my mouth sometimes".

They both seemed to think that no Braves should have been ejected and the only reason Freeman was ejected is because the umps HAD to eject a Brave player to even things out. They both really made it seem like Gomez is a psychopath.

I wish my internet was faster so I could watch.

Archived