LF Junior Lake

1B Anthony Rizzo

RF Nate Schierholtz

CF Ryan Sweeney

C Welington Castillo

3B Donnie Murphy

2B Darwin Barney

P Jeff Samardzija

The whole day game-night game thing is a puzzler. Once you throw in the other variables (home/road, getaway day or not, sun causing shadows or not, etc.) there probably isn't enough of a population size to draw statistically significant conclusions. But, I do wonder sometimes if the Brewers are more inclined than other teams to give regulars a rest in day games after night games, and if that is a factor.

It is worth noting, though, that the Brewers' best two teams in the last 10 years performed pretty much the same during the day as at night. The 2011 team was 31-21 (.596) in day games, virtually the same as their overall percentage of .593. In 2008, they were 36-28 (.562) compared to their overall percentage of .556.

While their day game record this year is awful, it isn't that hard to find other teams in recent years with similar records. There are some really awful teams (like the last few Astros teams) that have won less than a third of their home games. Just last year, Ned Yost's Royals were 16-37 in day games en route to an overall finish of 72-90, which is about where the Brewers are headed this year.

While looking into this I came across this article from last September which discussed day-night disparities for teams from 2008 up to September, 2012.

http://www.baseballnation.com/2012/9/1/3284591/fun-with-day-game-stats

As you can see from this there are several teams with disparities between their day and night records that are similar to the Brewers' spread.

If there's an explanation for this, it would be interesting to hear it. But, I'm probably inclined to think more that it's just one of those things. Maybe a more thorough study would show that weaker teams have worse day game records relative to their overall records than stronger teams because weaker teams have less depth and weaken themselves more when they rest a regular or two. Or, maybe it would just find that it's a random variation of chance

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived