Brewer Fanatic

Demand, meet Khris Davis -- Teams All Looking for RH Power Corner OF's

Mass Haas

I'm just not sure Davis' track record is extensive enough to generate serious interest. We're talking about a guy who has 129 major league PA and has never been considered a prime prospect himself. He has value no doubt but prime pitching or corner IF in return? I have my doubts.

I'd much rather trade Aoki, who probably has more trade value, and keep Davis. Braun in RF, Davis in LF, Gomez in CF with Schafer backing up CF and Gindl backing up the corners. Not a bad OF, and three of them are playing for league minimum.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I'd much rather trade Aoki, who probably has more trade value, and keep Davis. Braun in RF, Davis in LF, Gomez in CF with Schafer backing up CF and Gindl backing up the corners. Not a bad OF, and three of them are playing for league minimum.

I'm not convinced just yet that Davis > Gindl and the Brewers could use that LH power bat in there somewhere if they re-sign Hart or another RH bat to play 1B. But I tend to agree with your point. Gindl reminds me so much of a young Matt Stairs that it's scary and we all know what Stairs produced in his prime.

Khris Davis is no more than a fourth-outfielder in my mind. Still.

I'm curious why you think that. His first full season in the minors he had a .897 OPS, his second minor league season he had a .948 OPS at Brevard County (which for a RH-hitter, with the wind blowing in from LF there, is almost unheard of; for comparison, Braun, in a similar # of ABs there, posted a .784 OPS) before being promoted to AA, and in his 3rd minor league season posted a combined 1.055 OPS between AA and AAA. For his minor league career he's averaged a .392 OBP and a .506 SLG, but that's come down this year because it took him a while to shake off the rust from sitting on the Brewers bench the first month of the season. Not sure if it is because he was a 7th round draft pick, but he has put up both OBP and SLG at every stop in the minors.

I like him, but even if Braun moves to RF it creates a very RH-heavy lineup. I think if you can get a young high quality 3B or SP for him you make the deal. If the D-Backs are in fact looking for RH corner OF power and Matt Davidson is blocked by Martin Prado for the next three years I think that's a good deal for both clubs. David Holmberg+ would be a good trade for both too.

I'm not convinced just yet that Davis > Gindl and the Brewers could use that LH power bat in there somewhere if they re-sign Hart or another RH bat to play 1B.

and

I like him, but even if Braun moves to RF it creates a very RH-heavy lineup.

Davis is RH and Gindl is LH. That makes it a pretty easy platoon situation with Gindl getting (hopefully only) a little bit of PT in RF when Braun needs a day off or takes his normal week off per year with an oblique injury.

To me, Aoki seems like the best trade candidate. He has more of a proven track record, and he's still fairly inexpensive, so he would bring back some value in trade, but he's three times more expensive than our alternatives who could probably put up similar numbers, so it doesn't make sense for us to trade the young, cheap, "team controlled" guys in favor of the older, more expensive guy who will leave at the end of the season.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

I can't see a guy who was never a top prospect bring back much of anything in return after putting up good numbers for only 1/4 of a season.

Khris never being a top prospect should be completely irrelevant. He is the same player he has been throughout his entire time in the minors. He has done nothing but mash with big power, decent speed, and not a very strong arm. If he was drafted by the Rangers, he would have been a top 70-80 guy easily.

I can't see a guy who was never a top prospect bring back much of anything in return after putting up good numbers for only 1/4 of a season.

Khris never being a top prospect should be completely irrelevant. He is the same player he has been throughout his entire time in the minors. He has done nothing but mash with big power, decent speed, and not a very strong arm. If he was drafted by the Rangers, he would have been a top 70-80 guy easily.

It is relevant though. Teams will give up something worthwhile for a guy who was a top prospect after little to no major league experience but not for a guy like Davis. I can't see any team offering up something that would be better than keeping him.

It's not about the label of a top-100 guy for me, but more the reason why Davis has never been included in that tier. Nothing against him, but he's a smaller guy by MLB standards. That usually limits a player's upside. I do think that Davis will hit enough to stick in the bigs. Ideally, he'd be a 4th OF for a contender imo.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The Rays make sense here. Not sure Davis gets you Hellickson but he may after the year Hellickson is having this year. Hellickson is also heading into Arb year 1 next year and he is a Boras client so it is not very likely he will sign an extension with the Rays plus the Rays have 3 putchers that will cost less and should give them the same or better value.

Uugh. I don't want Hellickson. Partly because something is surely wrong with him, and partly because he is a Boras client, and will be looking for a new contract. No thank you.

I think some here are undervaluing Davis. Who cares what kind of prospect he is/was. What matters is that he is getting the job done, and one of the few bright spots we had this year. I'd like to see him open as our every day LFer in 2014. He has earned that right in my opinion.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Who cares what kind of prospect he is/was. What matters is that he is getting the job done, and one of the few bright spots we had this year.

When talking about his trade value, his prospect ranking is very relevant.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Why cant we just keep him?

Because we are Brewerfan.net. We are always looking to trade a marginal player for someone else's top prospect.

I don't think Davis is a "marginal" player, but time will tell I guess.

The kid hits a ton, and for whatever reason, that lands him on the trading block on this board. His defense maybe isn't stellar, but it certainly is average.

"I'm sick of runnin' from these wimps!" Ajax - The WARRIORS

Like I said in a different thread, it's not about the label wrt Davis, it's why he's gotten it. Simply stated, short & stockier corner outfielders typically don't have the upside of your prototypical-build players. It's not about saying he's not an elite prospect 'just because', it's that typically smaller guys at power positions don't turn into good MLB players or stars. His production at Nashville (in the hitter-friendly PCL, no less) wasn't exactly eye-catching, & while he's certainly hit so far in the bigs, I think it's a stretch to say that he should be considered as a main piece on any kind of team, let alone a contending one (not that I think the '14 Brewers will contend). I'm rooting for Khrush (heck, I broke out that nickname for him) as hard as anyone, believe me. But I just don't think he's going to hit as well over the course of his career as he has in his debut.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Texas anyone? Aren't they hungry for an OF with Cruz and Murphy leaving? And then add Berkman and that's OF/OF/DH....Three exact positions Davis would fill for them? Already know their farm system is stocked about everywhere else but OF. But who do you get in return? And what in return are you looking for? Future or 2014/2015 help? Can you take Luis Sardinas from them with Odor clearly becoming the better talent in an already overstocked MI? What does that do though for us with Gennett/Segura? One has to assume Odor/Jackson are off limits, so then what? Promising Bullpen guys? We found Delmonico so why bother with Gallo? It'll be interesting to see how desperate Texas is for OF help. They are in such a weird position having Andrus/Profar and then Kinsler/Moreland...Ooops... oh wait there's the answer...Davis for Mooreland. 1b solved for 2014 for Milw/Texas. Kinsler moves to 1b. Moreland becomes our 1b. No Corey Hart bum knees needed.

Davis for Mooreland. 1b solved for 2014 for Milw/Texas. Kinsler moves to 1b. Moreland becomes our 1b. No Corey Hart bum knees needed.

No, no, no, no, no, and oh yeah what was my first answer? yeah it was NO.

That would just be a horrible trade and a waste of an asset in Davis.

Oh, I'm not a fan of the idea either. That's more or less looking at it from Texas' end to figure out that Infield they have. Kinsler/Profar/Andrus aren't going anywhere, but Moreland..now there's the selling piece.

My issue is believing that Melvin/Mark A. will trade Davis for any kind of future face of the team type player. That Davis fits the perfect Bandaid prospect to trade away and solve a problem on the team. I'd rather just run Hunter Morris out there with Halton every day next season without Hart on the Team. But BFnet knows that when the end of the season stats are gleened over guess what is going to stand out? The entire lack of production from 1b! And this is a FO that Reacts remember so the reaction either will be to resign Hart or make a move like trading for Moreland. It comes down to the Payroll when I look at that and what does Hart ask for? I think with the team's obligations and it's likely Hart won't sell himself short and is priced out of the team's ability to sign.

Now I could just be the dreamer and say Khris Davis for Luke Jackson. Done. Khris Davis for Roughned Odor done. Looks amazing on our side now don't it? But then every poster will come here and say there is no way Texas deals those either of those two for Davis. So what is the right suggestion? What is the in between players from Jackson/Odor to Moreland...Let me know

Archived