Brewer Fanatic

2013-09-10 to 2013-09-12 Brewers vs Cardinals

pretendastronaut

Gennett just continues to hit. Holding at .340.
There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

The only thing I'd like to see Ryan do is walk a little bit more. But I've seen nothing while he's been in the Majors to make me think he can't be a .280 + hitter or higher on a consistent basis. I've watched his at bats very closely. He's gotta be one of the best two or three hitters on our team right now as far as fundamentals go. He goes up to the plate, and seems to have an idea of where he wants to go with the ball. He's not just up there hacking away.

You can tell his father has been a scout and coach. He might not have the size or physical tools of other players, but his head is in the game. I am really liking what I've seen from him. He should be the starting second baseman next year, regardless of where Rickie Weeks' health is at.

There are three things America will be known for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced. Gerald Early

You and me both. No matter how healthy we are next year, we still have Roenicke calling the shots. And that saddens me.

Way to go, Ron. We go from a no hitter into the 6th inning to losing 5-1 because you can't figure out when to pull a relief pitcher to save your life.

Does Attanasio ever watch this guy and wish he had somebody else?

And the stupidity continues. There is no reason to throw Kintzler tonight.

You said before that you wanted Roenicke to look like he gives a crap.

Maybe he decided to do that by using one of his most reliable relievers in a close game against a pennant contending team instead of throwing a tantrum over a call that the umpires got right and that wasn't likely to make a difference anyway because the runner was likely to score eventually even if he was sent back to third with nobody out.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Maybe he decided to do that by using one of his most reliable relievers in a close game against a pennant contending team instead of throwing a tantrum over a call that the umpires got right and that wasn't likely to make a difference anyway because the runner was likely to score eventually even if he was sent back to third with nobody out.

Kintzler threw 30 pitches the night before, and he didn't look that going doing it, and he's had multiple injuries in his career. He should not have been used last night unless the game went many extra innings. That was just stupid.

As for the call, the umps may have gotten it right or wrong the TV replays were very inconclusive but none the other umps could have had a better view than the guy who was supposed to be looking at it. For them to have over turned that play was wrong. Ya, the runner would have scored eventually but that's irrelevant, there was no reason to reverse that call and Ron should have put up an argument instead of bending over for the Cardinals.

Kintzler threw 30 pitches the night before, and he didn't look that going doing it, and he's had multiple injuries in his career. He should not have been used last night unless the game went many extra innings. That was just stupid.

Roenicke's comments after the game explain why he used Kintzler in that situation instead of one of the other relievers who hasn't pitched as much lately and who hasn't been used late in close games much this year. He said "It's hard right now if we're in a tight ballgame against these teams who are trying to play for a spot in the playoffs and we're saying 'you know something? We haven't pitched him in a while. Let's put him in there and see what he can do. I don't know if that's fair to do that. We're trying to do whatever we can do to win games."

So, Roenicke's desire was to use the pitcher that he thought gave his team the best chance to win because the game was important to the Cardinals, Pirates, and Reds. Personally, I think that's what a manager should do as long as it isn't to the detriment of his own team or players.

As for Kintzler's multiple injuries, he has thrown 69 IP this year, the same number as last year between the Brewers and the minors. Suggesting that using him the day after he threw 30 pitches in a game increases his chances of being injured in the future is pure speculation. He pitched in a lot of games, and threw a lot of pitches, when he was called up to the Brewers last September, including pitching effectively on 3 straight days in late September, so I think he has shown that he can handle the workload he is being given now.

The bottom line is that there WAS a good reason to use Kintzler in that game, that reason being to try to win a game that had a bearing on playoff spots. It may be your opinion that he shouldn't have been used, but, in my opinion, that move was not "just stupid". If this is one of the examples that you are using to support why you hate Roenicke, and why you think he is a terrible manager, you are really reaching.

Note: If I raise something as a POSSIBILITY that does not mean that I EXPECT it to happen.

Archived