Brewer Fanatic

MLBTR - Top 34 Free Agent Starting Pitchers

torts

I would say no. We'd be decent but I don't think those moves make us better than the Cards, Reds or Pirates and you'd have to think we might be worse than the Nats as well. So 4th in the division and at least one team that is probably better as well.

It's much smarter for us to rebuild right now that probably isn't happening though.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I have a question.

If the Brewers bring back the same offense, add Hart, same bullpen (maybe add a 7th inn guy) and add a #2 starter and go with #2, Lohse, Gallardo, Peralta and Estrada can we make the playoffs, if not where are we defecient?

Thanks,

GO BREW

I think a team with the above additions could potentially make the playoffs, but it would be difficult. A major injury or two and we are screwed because of our lack of depth. And we'd be counting on Hart and A-Ram to come back strong. Plus Braun.

You'd need a good streak of luck to win with the above additions. Not impossible by any means, but tough.

I'd note that the Reds have to deal with the impending free agency of Choo and Arroyo and in all likelihood they're not going to have very much money to spend. That's potentially a good step back right there. They very well may have peaked as a team. And it's not like their depth is much more impressive than the Brewers'.

St. Louis has some guys getting up in years too and hitting free agency. I know they have an impressive minor league system, but we've all seen impressive minor league systems fail to produce at the big league level right away.

In general, if you can project a team to 85-90 wins, that's a contender. Maybe not a favorite, but almost all teams that make the playoffs have a little bit of luck working in their favor. At least staying healthy. An 85-87 win team can be turned into a 90 win team with some shrewd deadline deals.

We shouldn't assume that the Brewers are the only team ever that has to deal with injuries and disappointing seasons and that everyone else is untouchable. The 2013 Nationals are an example of how quickly a heavy favorite can come back to the pack.

• 2 weeks later...
I would say no. We'd be decent but I don't think those moves make us better than the Cards, Reds or Pirates and you'd have to think we might be worse than the Nats as well. So 4th in the division and at least one team that is probably better as well.

It's much smarter for us to rebuild right now that probably isn't happening though.

I don't think you can know that the Cards, Reds, and Pirates will be as good as they were this year. Frankly I doubt it. You bring up the Nats. They went from 98 wins in 12 to 86 this year, with basically the same team. The Brewers from July 1 on went 42-40. That was 1.5 games worse than Pittsburgh, and 3 games worse than Cincinnati. I think they have a ways to go to match up with St. Louis but a healthy Brewer team can compete evenly with Pittsburgh and Cincinnati. If everyone is healthy, and Davis replaces Aoki in the lineup and Hart is back healthy, their number 8 hitter figures to be either Davis and his .949 OPS or Gennett and his .324 BA. That is one deep lineup.

so Melvin has said they're not opposed to getting a veteran arm, interesting... very very interesting

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

what that means is he'll sign Bronson Aroyyo for 4 years $40 million

Posted: July 10, 2014, 12:30 AM

PrinceFielderx1 Said:

If the Brewers don't win the division I should be banned. However, they will.

Last visited: September 03, 2014, 7:10 PM

I am not banking on the Brewers to be particularly good in 2014. Therefore, I'd look to develop our own pitching.

That was the hope many had going into this year. Then they signed Lohse.

And that worked out about as well as you could have hoped for and it left us where? Now I understand Hart, Aram, Braun, Weeks and Yo for a number of reasons didn't perform nearly as well as expected, but it's just pointless IMO to spend any money on this team in free agency.

If we HAD to pick one guy on the list that is intriguing, Tim Hudson is the first one that jumps out at me simply because I think he's the type of guy that you could get cheaper and on a shorter deal(maybe 2 years 16 million) and if he pitches like he normally does the first few months, you could turn around and trade him...if we're not winning.

But seriously, just....give up on this patchwork crap already. I have no doubt we'll draw 3 million fans if we have a fun and exciting young team, so I'm fine with cutting the payroll down as far as possible while we rebuild. But Mark A doesn't seem to share such an opinion...which I'm grateful for in a small market, a owner who doesn't want to throw in the towel, but I just see the Brewers heading into Bucks territory. A middling team that's not really getting that's stuck in neutral.

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

Agreed...it's be highly unlikely. It'd take Segura and Gomez repeating their performances(which I do think is possible) along with just about everything else going well, AND I think it'd take some highly unexpected and major contributor to come in next year. Something like Jimmy Nelson pitching like Peralta did this year and Peralta having a Ubaldo Jimenez type breakout year. And even then I think the Dodgers, Nationals and Cardinals are or will be SO much better that I just don't see us doing anything even if we did somehow make it into the WC spot. Plus the Braves are almost a lock IMO to at least get to the playoffs.

I feel like we're almost in the exact same position as last year where we're looking at some of these guys really doing well down the stretch and hoping they'll be able to duplicate that success next year, but we'll also have our other guys who didn't have a good year bounce back. Last year Fiers, Rogers, Peralta, this year Davis, Gennett, Thornburg....

Icbj86c-"I'm not that enamored with Aaron Donald either."

I would look at a lefty that could come cheap on a one-year deal that could start if need be or be the second lefty in the pen. The two names that come to mind are:

Chris Capuano

Ted Lilly

Yes Lilly's old and has been hurt the last two years but still has been effective well into his 30's except for a small sample this year (been more effective that a younger Joe Saunders who is on the list). And I am specifically referring to a cheap one-year deal. If he doesn't make the rotation (which I hope happens and Thornburg has earned it), you stick him in the bullpen and he becomes your second lefty in the pen. Same thing with Capuano. More durable and younger than Lilly, he's been a solid starter for LA the last two years and worst case could be the second lefty in the pen.

Archived